Mgalekgolo Twins Build (Halo 4 Hunter Pair)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks fantastic so far. Can't wait to see it completed, and maybe one day this Spartan can shake your hand (claw?) in thanks for your efforts and perseverance.

We thank you for your kind words.

The colony has another Armor Update to present:

Starting today, the colony has begun casting the worms out of silicone from our molds we made from Plaster of Paris and they are coming out beautifully,

We will be producing as many worms as we can for the next few days until we run out of silicone.

largewormsmold.jpg
smallwormssilicone.jpg
largewormssilicone.jpg

The colony has also tested out painting the silicone worms with acrylic paint.

largewormspaint.jpg

The colony is testing with acrylic first in hopes that the paint will not chip off right away.
The paint is drying matte, but the colony plans to find a top coat that is glossy to give the worms the proper sheen.

The colony has also vacu-formed the canisters for the Assault Cannon.
After some testing with paint and lights, the colony has discovered the proper applications needed to make the canisters look correct.

First, we tried just spraying the inside of the canister with silver paint so it is not completely clear when seen from the outside.

lightstest1.jpg

After sticking the LEDs inside, we were not satisfied with how the lights diffused.

The colony did some brainstorming and tried lining the inside of the canister with parchment paper. This diffused the light very well and we are content with the results.

In a lit room:
lightstest2.jpg

In the dark:
lightstest2dark.jpg

We understand that the lights in the game have a little more yellow in the lights and we may try to get some yellow LEDs, but we are happy with this as well.

Along with these large strides, the colony has also started the detail work on a lot of the armor pieces.
The shoulders have all of their details and are ready for epsilon.

bicepdetail.jpg
bicepdetail2.jpg

And the detail work on the boot pieces are almost complete.
boottoefrontdetail.jpg

For the sake of flexibility, the colony has decided to not apply epsilon to the boot pieces. The colony will just seal the foam with latex house paint and then begin painting.
bootsbasepaint.jpg

Shelf liner has been added to the base of the stilts to negate slipping when walking on non-carpeted surfaces.

As the week progresses, the colony plans to cast more worms and add detail work to armor pieces during the night when the humans are not working.

Please give us any feedback you may have and thank you for your interest in the colony.

Attachments

• largewormsmold.jpg
    largewormsmold.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 237
  • bicepdetail.jpg
    bicepdetail.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 248
  • lightstest2dark.jpg
    lightstest2dark.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 228
  • lightstest2.jpg
    lightstest2.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 221
  • lightstest1.jpg
    lightstest1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 236
  • largewormspaint.jpg
    largewormspaint.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 226
  • largewormssilicone.jpg
    largewormssilicone.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 219
  • smallwormssilicone.jpg
    smallwormssilicone.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 221
  • bicepdetail2.jpg
    bicepdetail2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 237
  • boottoefrontdetail.jpg
    boottoefrontdetail.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 235
  • bootsbasepaint.jpg
    bootsbasepaint.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 238
oh grand mama what big feet you have. lol you know what would be really cool for the plasma tubes some good old fashion lava lamps... but weight then it would be to heavy nm.

This is such a masterful build and the way you document it is brilliant and entertaining.
Thanks for sharing your progress with us and keep up the stellar work! Look forward to seeing more!

Holy sweet mother of saltine crackers, your work is fanstastic, as is now the norm for you. Just, wow. Those worms, utterly amazing, and fabulous jon on the paint job on them. I can't wait to see them with a coat of gloss. Now, whenever I think of Mgalekgolo worms, I always imagine these slimy creatures, and I know some makeup artists, creature creators and costume creators will go that extra step, soooo what I am asking is, would you ever consider making the worms slimy? Just wondering. And as for that lovely fuel cannister, the glow reminds me of the fuel cannisters the Hunters used in H:CE for some reason. But it looks fantastic! Keep up the great work, and thank you for sharing.

oh grand mama what big feet you have. lol you know what would be really cool for the plasma tubes some good old fashion lava lamps... but weight then it would be to heavy nm.

The colony did not think we could have grandchildren. But we are glad your observation skills are accurate.

The humans initially wanted to use lava lamps for the Assault Cannon canisters, but due to weight and the need for a large energy source, this was not possible. But vacuformed vases work for them just fine.

This is such a masterful build and the way you document it is brilliant and entertaining.
Thanks for sharing your progress with us and keep up the stellar work! Look forward to seeing more!

We thank you for your support.

Holy sweet mother of saltine crackers, your work is fanstastic, as is now the norm for you. Just, wow. Those worms, utterly amazing, and fabulous jon on the paint job on them. I can't wait to see them with a coat of gloss. Now, whenever I think of Mgalekgolo worms, I always imagine these slimy creatures, and I know some makeup artists, creature creators and costume creators will go that extra step, soooo what I am asking is, would you ever consider making the worms slimy? Just wondering. And as for that lovely fuel cannister, the glow reminds me of the fuel cannisters the Hunters used in H:CE for some reason. But it looks fantastic! Keep up the great work, and thank you for sharing.

The humans who painted the worms is a religious viewer of shows like Face Off and Creature Shop. She would like to see the worms become slimy, but for the sake of storage and cleanup, it is probably better that they only look slimy with a coat of gloss paint.

The canisters definitely remind us of the Cannons in Halo 2: Anniversary and a mix of other versions. The humans are very giddy at the result of the first canister and are excited to make the others. The vacuforming is already done, all that is needed is the paint, parchment paper, and the production of the stands that attach to the cannon itself.

I am quite literally out of words.

We are sorry to hear that. You can always learn the language of the Mgalekgolo. They don't use words, mainly grunts and growls.

Armor Update: 1/19/2015

Good morning members of the 405th.

This weekend was a very fruitful one as the colony was able to work on the suit both days.

During that time, we were able to cast all of the worms that we could (we ran out of silicone) and we tested a glossy enamel spray paint over the painted worms to see if it gave the worms the appropriate sheen. We are satisfied with the results.

worms.jpg
wormsgloss.jpg

The stands for the Assault Cannon canisters were fabricated and attached to the Cannon and lights have been installed.

lampstand.jpg

Light test on the cannon's canisters.

cannonlighttest1.jpg
cannonlighttest2.jpg

The first thigh has details now applied and has a base coat of paint to seal the foam and the second thigh was built.

thighdetail1.jpg
thighdetail2.jpg

Second eye was built and eyes have been attached to the helmet. Seal coat and first layer of paint has also been applied to the helmet.

helmetlights.jpg
trex.jpg

The helmet also has a built in mount out of foam so a GoPro can be placed inside the helmet and record the public's reactions from the Hunter's perspective.

The carapace has detail drawn out for etching and craft foam detailing.

carapacedetail.jpg

Also, the colony was testing the kind of paint job the armor should have.

We are aware that the Mgalekgolo from Halo 4 have a more green hue to their armor, but for all games previous, the armor was blue with a greenish tint.

So the colony experimented with the paints on the ankle plates.

The plate on the left is "Hunter Green" with a deep blue detail coat and the right is "Deep Blue" with the hunter green detail coat. We applied the detail coat by covering the armor piece with shelf liner and then spraying on a light coat of the second color. We liked the texture the detail coat gave the paint and we decided to have a little bit of design freedom and go with the more classic paint scheme instead of trying to achieve "game accuracy."

painttest.jpg

After we made this decision, we started sealing and base coating the armor pieces we have finished detailing.

paintstart.jpg

The colony hopes to update this thread at least once a week now that the human's schedule is starting to become manageable and will be able to get together one a week to work on the armor.

We thank you for looking at our thread and please give us any and all feedback you may have.

Thank you for your interest in the colony.

Attachments

• worms.jpg
    worms.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 251
  • cannonlighttest1.jpg
    cannonlighttest1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 238
  • cannonlighttest2.jpg
    cannonlighttest2.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 236
  • lampstand.jpg
    lampstand.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 230
  • wormsgloss.jpg
    wormsgloss.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 238
  • painttest.jpg
    painttest.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 252
  • trex.jpg
    trex.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 239
  • thighdetail1.jpg
    thighdetail1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 242
  • thighdetail2.jpg
    thighdetail2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 230
  • helmetlights.jpg
    helmetlights.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 237
  • carapacedetail.jpg
    carapacedetail.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 218
  • paintstart.jpg
    paintstart.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 236
This is really coming together well, I cannot wait to see it finished!

Saw the pic on FB of the completed cannon. Looking good.
The hive would love to get our hands on it.

wow man looks great

Wow this is starting to look like a really intense build. Looking forward to more updates! :)

The colony thanks everyone for their continued support.

The colony would also like to announce that we are planning to have an appearance of one of the Mgalekgolo at Emerald City Comic Con in Seattle, March 27-29.

We have already purchased our tickets and have hotel arrangements to accommodate one of the Mgalekgolo with the humans. The colony has already made the special request to replace the chocolates on our pillows with jars of peanut protein paste.

The colony will only have one suit ready for this convention as we want to have a good practice run with one suit and that will give us and the humans more time to finish the first suit to be the best it can be before we go to Seattle.

Zulikta will be the Mgalekgolo that will be present during this convention. Are any other 405th members going to this event?

EmeraldCity.jpg

Attachments

• EmeraldCity.jpg
    EmeraldCity.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 258
That gun is looking AWESOME! It looks like this is going to look really sweet when it's finished. :D I wish I could get to that convention to get some pictures because that would be awesome, but I can't travel out of state. :(

now that hotel will it be like the one the guys from this...

Last edited by a moderator:
That gun is looking AWESOME! It looks like this is going to look really sweet when it's finished. :D I wish I could get to that convention to get some pictures because that would be awesome, but I can't travel out of state. :(

We thank you for your kind words. It is unfortunate that we will not be able to have a gathering with you, but the colony will make sure to post lots of pictures for all to enjoy.

now that hotel will it be like the one the guys from this...

We suspect it will be very interesting when the Mgalekgolo arrives at the hotel. It will be very cramped.

The colony would also like to make the announcement that Zulikta has been entered into the Costume Contest for Emerald City Comic Con.
We hope that our suit will be appeasing enough to the judges to earn a medal of achievement for our work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back