3d printing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdtron99

Hello! i recently found the 3d printable h4 master chief helmet on thingiverse, but alas, i do not have a printer to make it myself.

i have all the .stl files for it and just need a raw, un-assembled print. i plan on assembling and refining the helmet whence i receive it, and to mold and cast it.
i also have one other problem. i am VERY short on cash right now and would probably be unable to pay for this. BUT, i have a proposal. if someone were to be so kind as to not charge me for the printing, i would exchange them their services with TWO FREE helmet castings. one to keep, one to sell. i know people probably wouldn't accept this offer, but i'm just taking a shot in the dark. because you never know unless you ask, right?

Serin i just now saw a disclaimer in the model description, "All modelling in Autodesk Fusion 360, its free for non commercial use, I highly recommend it. " so i guess this is a no go...

Last edited by a moderator:
But im kind of confused. Because people make and sell castings from
3d prints all the time, so why cant I? Technically its a modified pep file
That im looking at printing. Sooo yeah MAYBE i can still keep the offer up?

If it's the one I think it is, probably best to ask the modeller first. He's a good bloke. But yeah, most modellers don't really take well to having their stuff used for commercial purposes without permission or financial compensation.
Its a weird sort of deal.. 3D printing is more or less an incredibly disruptive technology that will change the face of IP forever, my opensource tech side loves it, but my modeller side kinda hates it :p

So yeah, ask him, maybe offer to kick back some of the profit to him?

It's because it takes a lot of work and time (sometimes months) to create a decent model, and although some people might not care how the model is used after it's let loose into the wild, other people would argue that it's not fair for others to receive compensation for work they didn't do (the modeling). Even without a "license" in the file, generally something is automatically copyrighted at the time it's created, even derivative works if they're more than 10% different from their original source. You should check with the original maker of the model and get written consent before casting copies of something they created.

reason why i took down most of my thingiverse files.
I was really gun ho to putting out our models out there at first.
to share them with everyone.
but now i want to keep them for myself since some people dont even bother asking the original modeler.

HI All,

big_red_frog here...

http://www.thingiverse.com/big_red_frog/about

I messaged nerdton99 back on thingiverse, so he knows this is me. ( I can provide proof should anyone feel necessary )

From my perspective, its all derivative of the original Bungie IP, so beyond the emotional attachment and the many hours getting from this original 3d model

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6127

to a solid, printable form

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:158120

doesn't truly give me ownership.

Emotional aside, as per the license on thingiverse ( share alike )

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

You are free to:

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
for any purpose, even commercially.
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms.

although it then goes onto say you must redistribute your derivative designs under the same license, this doesn't cover your molds or helmets produced, so you are good to go.

Don't forget there are size B and C model, additional parts for better details, chin bolts etc, all referenced in the description on thingiverse, and a bunch of notes in

http://projects.hackaday.com/project/254-Halo-4-Helmet-(-Size-A,-B,-C-)

The reference to Fusion 360 is purely in the context of the software used to do the modelling.

Please ensure you do give attribution back to big_red_frog and the thingiverse designs you use though.

Its that feedback, hits on the thingiverse page and virtual internet points that make it all worth while for me.

I have done what I have done for the fun, if you can give it further life please do...

If you can make money out of it even better, ( there is at least one listing on etsy )

If you do manage to get good pulls out of your efforts, and enough volume to cover the additional costs, then poke me at the time, and send me one, I would be curious to see what quality you can get.

Thank you @big_red_frog i very much appreciate it! now if i can just get someone to print the model for me, i would absolutely ensure that you get a free casting and the credit you deserve!

Last edited by a moderator:
That helmet is also in my print list as well. Just finished getting my printrbot simple 1405 up and running again after several heavy mods to it. brought it for roughly $380!!! spent an additional $100 on all the stuff to upgrade it. Standard print size is 4x4x4. After all the upgrades (in MM) its now at X374 Y220 (can still go farther) Z170. (can go a little bit farther) All the upgrades where printed from files on the thingivers. Can still do a lot of mods to it since its an open source printer. I would highly recommend this printer. Web site is www.printrbot.com

I would be up to Printing the parts for it on my Robo 3D where would it be shipped to? What do want it printed in PLA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back