Vampy's second cosplay build! Halo 3 Hayabusa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vampy

Jr Member
To kill some time I'm working on a Hayabusa pepakura build.

hayabusa progress 4 (smaller).jpg

Did most of that last week, haven't worked on it this week yet due to business trips :( But I'm back now and ready to do the left thigh and shin :)

Note: that semisphere on the left side of the image is a Samus Aran helmet I'm working on too. That will be my first Bondo/Fiberglassed test project. I'll do that before deciding how to proceed with the Hayabusa armor (if I want to do resin/bondo or continue to rotocast with Smooth Cast 65D like before.

One unknown so far for me is the undersuit. For my Halo 1 armor I used a Fox Titan undersuit that I could also reuse, but I wouldn't mind trying to foam something up as another learning experience!

Oooh, that's nice. So this one's gonna be smoothed out? Looking forward to seeing it, that looks like really nice pep work.

Oooh, that's nice. So this one's gonna be smoothed out? Looking forward to seeing it, that looks like really nice pep work.
Thanks dude! I'm petite so I can handle the cardstock pretty well, although some larger pieces give me some trouble with alignment and keeping straight (instead of having a slight bend sometimes).

I did buy some supplies to test the bondo/resin combination along with some plasti dip for my foam test pieces that i'm working on in parallel.

Cosplay supplies yay.jpg

I was building up the Samus helmet for that purpose for a test piece :) It's coming along nicely too!

samus helmet progress 1.jpg

And that's my black minicat, Violet perched behind me <3

Just to tell you I've heard some bad things about white plastidip. I dont know if it was just the can but the stories I've heard all had white plastidip corroding the foam. So I would be careful about that.

Just to tell you I've heard some bad things about white plastidip. I dont know if it was just the can but the stories I've heard all had white plastidip corroding the foam. So I would be careful about that.
Thanks for the warning! I'll try it out on small test foamies first along with the black palsti dip.

well I'm stoked, love me some hayabusa!
I imagine the bondo work for the Hayabusa shoulders would be a drag. Was that a factor in choosing default, or simply preference? And does this mean the chest alterations will be left out too, or they will be added as attachments later? (I commend you if you planning on doing it all, haha, I wouldn't have the patience)

well I'm stoked, love me some hayabusa!
I imagine the bondo work for the Hayabusa shoulders would be a drag. Was that a factor in choosing default, or simply preference? And does this mean the chest alterations will be left out too, or they will be added as attachments later? (I commend you if you planning on doing it all, haha, I wouldn't have the patience)
Heya,I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do for the shoulders. I may build them in pepakura and convert that into a mold and cast them in plastic. Kind of new to this so i dunno what's best!

I am building the normal chest first and i'll build the Hayabusa mods on top of that. The chest is the last "big piece" to be built, luckily it is going smoothly too :)

Sounds good, I'm eager to try casting myself. That always sounds like a good way to go for topical parts like that.
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :thumbsup

Sounds good, I'm eager to try casting myself. That always sounds like a good way to go for topical parts like that.
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread :thumbsup
Thanks, buddy!

I looooove playing with liquid urethane, it's so strong and light, and not a heat magnet! The abuse my suit took was incredible. I had someone come bear hug me (which is a HUGE nono for anybody wearing a cosplay) and it survived!

Does anyone else rearrange pep files before printing? I find that helps my build time and sanity level (almost at 1400!!!).

I read that FoxtrotZero color codes some edges to help match pieces up. I wonder what other tips people have!
54768cdc3abe6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else rearrange pep files before printing? I find that helps my build time and sanity level (almost at 1400!!!)

Absolutely, in the past year I've started altering every file I use. I just think that the puzzle becomes second nature once you've added the effort and laid it out in a way your mind finds logical.
Also, very impressed that your suit withstood a bear hug, haha, you're doing it right! :thumbsup

Absolutely, in the past year I've started altering every file I use. I just think that the puzzle becomes second nature once you've added the effort and laid it out in a way your mind finds logical.
Also, very impressed that your suit withstood a bear hug, haha, you're doing it right! :thumbsup
One major advantage to plastics over foam right there :p

I've been slacking off lately, I've nearly finished the shin piece I started a while back, but haven't yet (I started it with the logic that it was sizable, had some curves, had some tight folds, and I could **** it up a little bit without it being the end of the world). In hindsight, the shin piece is probably the hardest part of the entire build. The front half has all these little valleys, the back has all these little step height changes, and the entire damn thing is supposed to be curved. Nothing else has this demonic combination of size and complexity.

You've already heard of my first advice: visually break the part into some managable chunks, color code them in pepakura, and then cut and assemble those sections (I printed them out, and then manually abbreviated the colors on the individual parts, then printed out a couple isometric views with the same labels, it's been priceless in helping me keep everything straight, especially since I'm working out in the garage with no laptop). I did that after I had already printed the part out, the second one I'll probably rearrange the parts so the different colored sections are all together and I don't have to go hunting. This is as much for efficiency as morale, as I tend to judge how "close" I am to finished by how many pages I've cut out.

I'd also see about merging some parts together (particularly to avoid any really thin bridges or pointlessly small parts, because I've torn pieces while trying to cut or score tabs) and seperating some (some parts have these random slits running halfway through them to facilitate the entire part bending a certain way, which I'd like to avoid where reasonable). In case you didn't pick up on it, if you need two of a part, print and assemble one, then the other, so you can make these improvements. The fact that I have to do a second shin at all kills me.

Anyway, Hayabusa is definitely interesting, and I think you're a special sort of ambitious to consider pepping one. I for one was never a huge fan of the armor set (I'll invoke rule of cool as quickly as the next guy, but I specifically like the sleek military-practical look). I did sorta like the look of the shoulder pieces, and I wore one back in the Halo 3 days (come to think of it, if I ever get around to making a MJOLNIR set, I might make a Rogue helmet, more my style than EOD, and more practical than JFO or any of the other ones I like for the theme I want), but those are complicated so I'd understand if you opted against those. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how the Hayabusa chest differed from the regular one...

...good god man, are you going to build the katana? Please tell me you're building the katana.

And on a closing note, I recommend you try your hand at the undersuit. I don't really know how you would go about it, but it's one of those details that brings the whole suit together.

Anyway, Hayabusa is definitely interesting, and I think you're a special sort of ambitious to consider pepping one. I for one was never a huge fan of the armor set (I'll invoke rule of cool as quickly as the next guy, but I specifically like the sleek military-practical look). I did sorta like the look of the shoulder pieces, and I wore one back in the Halo 3 days (come to think of it, if I ever get around to making a MJOLNIR set, I might make a Rogue helmet, more my style than EOD, and more practical than JFO or any of the other ones I like for the theme I want), but those are complicated so I'd understand if you opted against those. Come to think of it, I'm not sure how the Hayabusa chest differed from the regular one...

...good god man, are you going to build the katana? Please tell me you're building the katana.

And on a closing note, I recommend you try your hand at the undersuit. I don't really know how you would go about it, but it's one of those details that brings the whole suit together.
Heya!

To hit a few points -
I think I am considering trying to construct an undersuit using foam or something else. On a side note I want to make a few body suits for other projects so maybe I could use this as practice.

I don't know about a katana? What is this??!?! I want one :) I do have a few replica katanas that I could carry around, maybe they are good enough.

I have most of the pepakura finished and spent a few hours yesterday covering them with smooth on products (XTC 3D). Today I have to do the chest, cod piece, helmet, and shin. I've made up about 4 test pieces to play with for this batch too.

On another side note I'm also working on a Samus Aran varia suit. I have the helmet, forearm, and bicep finished as samples and they seem to be about the right size. Today I'll make up a shoulder piece and check the fit too.

I need to find those body suits later (or figure out how to make some) because I need to start that gender bent Samus Zero Suit :p

Dude you are quick with the pepakura! it took me like 2 weeks to get the helmet done on mine. Do you have one of those cutting machines or do you cut it by hand?

When you say your covering the pieces with smooth on products, are you using it like people use rondo on the inside? not seen people using smooth on for anything other than casting so i am a little intrigued.

I don't know about a katana? What is this??!?! I want one :) I do have a few replica katanas that I could carry around, maybe they are good enough.

Ah, back in Halo 3 it was possible to get a special chestpiece. I don't remember what the exact requirements are, and Halopedia tells me that, much like the Security helmet, the exact requirements were a bit glitchy and changed with patches. Generally speaking, you either needed a certain number of achievements (49?) or Gamerscore (1000?) in Halo 3. The chestpiece was like the regular Hayabusa one, but it added this massive Katana onto your back, with a grey sheath and reddish-brown handle. It was kinda tacky and completely pointless, and frequently clipped through vehicles, but it was also pretty cool, and not just anyone had access to it. I think I wore it for a while, but again, I preferred the military-practical look. According to Bungie.net, my last armour layout was Rogue helmet, CQB chest, and Security shoulders, but I know I used the Hayabusa shoulder in some sort of assymetrical configuration at some point.

Anyway, it wouldn't be a convention if you can't carry around a giant-ass Japanese blade, and if you already *have* a replica Katana, you could (relatively) easily strap it to your armour for some kicks and giggles. Anyone who remembers the Halo 3 days will probably appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back