Halo 4 Venator Spartan IV "Complete"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArcTek

Hey 405th

About the Project
I'm currently working on my first cosplay, which I've planned a full set of H4 MP Venator.
Image Credit: http://josheh-photo.deviantart.com/
halo_4_armor_suit___venator___lowpoly_render_by_josheh_photo-d616ay6.jpg

The Plan
I'm going to be building the suit from EVA foam and the Helmet from a Fibreglass resin.
Both excited and worried for the outcome!

Source Files
Titan Studios | Halo 4 Venator [Full Set]

Armoury Progress
"Complete" Venator Helmet
"Complete" Venator - Body
"Complete" Venator - Shoulders
"Complete" Outer Plated - Forearms
"Complete" XG-89 Narrow - Legs
"Complete" Badass Foam Combat Knife!

Development - August 2014 - Oversized
venator-0001.jpg
A few months ago I decided to build my first pepakura model.
I ran out of time with moving and work, It came out a bit large and has been damaged badly since I made it.

Development - December 2014 - Pepakura
-Source
venator-0002.jpgvenator-0003.jpgvenator-0004.jpgvenator-0005.jpgvenator-0006.jpg

Development - February 2015 - Fibreglass
-Source
venator-0007.jpg

Development - April 2015 - Body Filler
-Source
venator-0008.jpgvenator-0009.jpgvenator-0010.jpg

Development - May 2015 - Venator Chest
-Source
venator-0011.jpgvenator-0012.jpgvenator-0013.jpgvenator-0014.jpg

Development - September 2015 - Venator Helmet V2
Source
Venator-0023.jpgVenator-0025.jpgVenator-0024.jpgVenator-0026.jpg

Completion - October 26th 2015
Source
Venator-0028.jpgVenator-0029.jpg

venator-0001.jpg

halo_4_armor_suit___venator___lowpoly_render_by_josheh_photo-d616ay6.jpg

venator-0002.jpg

venator-0003.jpg

venator-0004.jpg

venator-0005.jpg

venator-0006.jpg

venator-0007.jpg

venator-0008.jpg

venator-0009.jpg

venator-0010.jpg

venator-0011.jpg

venator-0012.jpg

venator-0013.jpg

venator-0014.jpg

Venator-0023.jpg

Venator-0025.jpg

Venator-0024.jpg

Venator-0026.jpg

Venator-0028.jpg

Venator-0029.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: First Build - Venator Spartan suit

I can't say for sure but presumably, foam pep files account for foam thickness and edge bevel angle where paper pep files don't require thickness and need glue tabs.

Thanks for that advise RobTC
I did wonder what the difference was with the pep files, it does make sense to take into account the thickness and edge bevel.

I got some great advise last night on adapting the Paper peps for foam use from Ascension props.
Going to give a shot on some of the info he sent, Will be testing the method on a smaller part, such as the leg or arms.

I think that if you dig through the marketplace there is a thread for some one way colored visors. Looks good so far!!

Well here's a link to some foam Venator files if you were looking for them http://www.405th.com/f28/halo-4-venator-torso-shoulder-foam-templates-pdos-jtm1997-40338
They're not 100% game accurate, but they're pretty good files to use for a first time build with foam. You could always use the ripped game models from the file archive and mess around in pepakura to make your own unfold, but it may not turn out quite right if you don't have any practice. There are tons of tutorials on how to work with foam pepakura templates on youtube. My advice is always have a computer/laptop nearby so you can constantly be looking what kind of angle you have to cut for each piece. Also make sure you hold the two pieces together long enough so that the seam isn't too noticable.

Well here's a link to some foam Venator files if you were looking for them http://http://www.405th.com/f28/halo-4-venator-torso-shoulder-foam-templates-pdos-jtm1997-40338/
They're not 100% game accurate, but they're pretty good files to use for a first time build with foam. You could always use the ripped game models from the file archive and mess around in pepakura to make your own unfold, but it may not turn out quite right if you don't have any practice. There are tons of tutorials on how to work with foam pepakura templates on youtube. My advice is always have a computer/laptop nearby so you can constantly be looking what kind of angle you have to cut for each piece. Also make sure you hold the two pieces together long enough so that the seam isn't too noticable.

@SIKAXIS
I've been hunting around for the better Half of 2 months for foam venator files.
Even if their not 100% accurate, They still look awesome!
Many Thanks! :)

Update
I should finally have time to focus on this suit by later today or Wednesday, Will keep you guys posted on the progress! "even if its just shoulder pads"
AscensionProps sent me a link for armour scaling for the body http://www.405th.com/f19/halogoddess-how-scale-more-tutorial-31627/?highlight=scale+pepakura Going to give these a look into and get some measurements in place shortly.

Update
venator-0002.jpg venator-0003.jpg venator-0004.jpg venator-0005.jpg venator-0006.jpg
There are about five pieces left until the smaller Venator Helmet is finished.

Double Checking
From what I've heard, Bondo is the way to go, or equivalent.
From what I've read, It sounds like the following is used for...
"Please correct me if I'm wrong"
Hardening Bondo fiberglass resin
Smoothing Bondo spot putty and Bondo body filler

Update
The helmet doesn't fit over my head as the hole is too small, but it does look like it would fit if the hole size wasn't an issue.

I think I might need to make the back have a detachable plate?
Has anyone ever had an issue like this before building helmets, and is there a good way of sorting it?

I have seen quite a few people use a detachable plate in the back on Iron Man builds, it can attach by strong magnets in the helm and on the part you want to detach. It is definitely do-able!

I have seen quite a few people use a detachable plate in the back on Iron Man builds, it can attach by strong magnets in the helm and on the part you want to detach. It is definitely do-able!

@H311
Awesome, Thanks for that tip :)
Never thought of that as a solution.

Might try two - four 210 Gram magnetic strength rare earth magnets when the time comes.

Try the website K&J magnetics, i use them, they give you all the specs and the actual pounds the magnets can lift!

Try the website K&J magnetics, i use them, they give you all the specs and the actual pounds the magnets can lift!
@transmut1
Nice! The calculator looks useful, will give it a shot when I need to weigh everything.

Update, Alternative to Bondo
Sorry for the slow progress, I've not really had much time to get on with the project lately.

I've been looking for alternatives to Bondo products in the UK.
So far I've found an alternative to the fibreglass Resin, but have been having trouble finding an alternative to Bondo Spot putty and Body filler.
See: Isopon Fibreglass

I'm not sure if this is the right stuff to use, I would really appreciate a confirmation on the fibreglass before rushing out and getting some.
It would really help if someone could also advise on alternatives to Spot putty and body filler in the UK and if the spot putty is required at all.

For safety use, what type of Mask / Filter should I use?

I've definitely read elsewhere that Halfords' Isopon is the UK version of Bondo, though I seem to recall there's also a cheaper version somewhere but I forget what that is now. It's confirmed in the description, anyway- "polyester repair paste" + "hardener and applicator included" = Bondo!

Not sure what respirator options are available over there, I assume there'll be the usual 3M/MSI/whatever, but make sure the filters it comes with are rated for organic vapor/solvent/VOC/etc. I don't know if the US filter colour code system is also the international system, but the organic vapor cartridges over here are pink.

I personally don't use spot putty, I just mix up more bondo in tiny quantities and scrape that into the pin holes. Probably not the easiest, though. I'm sure a non-toxic spot putty for finishing work would be much more convenient.

ArcTek, from experience I can say that the Halfords-brand fibreglass and resin you're using isn't of an amazing quality, and is far more expensive than it needs to be for what it actually does.

Personally, I would suggest looking at MB Fibreglass' store on eBay - that's where I've frequently bought all of my products. I can link you some of the specific components I use when I get back from work later.

^ Arcanine is right, I'm using the Halfords brand at the moment because I had it to hand but it's not amazing, defo better products out there

ArcTek, from experience I can say that the Halfords-brand fibreglass and resin you're using isn't of an amazing quality, and is far more expensive than it needs to be for what it actually does.
Personally, I would suggest looking at MB Fibreglass' store on eBay - that's where I've frequently bought all of my products. I can link you some of the specific components I use when I get back from work later.

^ Arcanine is right, I'm using the Halfords brand at the moment because I had it to hand but it's not amazing, defo better products out there

@Arcanine and @realmasterchief
Thanks for the review on the Halfords material, I've yet to get resin.
I'm still doing the research before buying anything, since its my first time working with resin.

@Arcanine
I would really appreciate a link to some of the materials you use, thanks!
I'll definitely check out the MB-Fibreglass store tonight.

I've definitely read elsewhere that Halfords' Isopon is the UK version of Bondo, though I seem to recall there's also a cheaper version somewhere but I forget what that is now. It's confirmed in the description, anyway- "polyester repair paste" + "hardener and applicator included" = Bondo!

Not sure what respirator options are available over there, I assume there'll be the usual 3M/MSI/whatever, but make sure the filters it comes with are rated for organic vapor/solvent/VOC/etc. I don't know if the US filter colour code system is also the international system, but the organic vapor cartridges over here are pink.

I personally don't use spot putty, I just mix up more bondo in tiny quantities and scrape that into the pin holes. Probably not the easiest, though. I'm sure a non-toxic spot putty for finishing work would be much more convenient.

@RobTC
I have a feeling the filter cartages are a different colour here, I'm not entirely sure though, I might ask a RC vehicles / drones store tomorrow, I was told they might work with fibreglass / similar materials.
I'm not even sure what the alternative to spot putty is here, If you don't need it for crafting a helmet, I'll give it a miss :)

Thanks for the Info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back