New to the site and a first build.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savagehunter

Hi Guys

I'm new to this site and the Pepakura world. I'm not much of a gamer to be honest but I am an avid movie buff and someone who like to build with his hands so this is a lot of fun. I have started my first build of a Halo Helmet and have spent about 31 hrs getting it to the resin stage. Pic's below are what it looks like and comments or advice are more than welcome.

20141119_164205-1.jpg Getting Started - All cut and folded.
20141122_224932.jpg Front
20141122_224951.jpg Angle
20141122_225005.jpg Side
20141122_225032.jpg Back
20141122_225743.jpg Modelled :lol

Now onto Resin, Bondo and Sanding!!!!

That is a very well-put together helmet! Very nice job! This is a Halo Reach Scout helmet, if I'm not mistaken, right? Reach seems to have gone along and changed a lot of classic armor sets up now that I go take a look at it...

Thanks ziebster, it's not bad for a first attempt I don't think. As to which Halo helmet it is exactly I'll have to let the experts on here weigh in on that sorry! It's just the one I really liked the look of out of all of them lol. I've got the bug now though and since I don't have any resin yet I've started the iron man mark3 helmet to keep me occupied [emoji6]

Yeah great job with the peping!! Scale looks perfect as well!

You can pick up some resin at most big box stores, Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, Walmart (small can), Meijer (small can), Hardware stores, etc. Also try and get the fiberglass mate thats looks likes webbing, I hear it's much much easier to work with.

Thanks nighthawk. It's pretty good when it's on but getting it over my big head is another story lol

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers master builder. I'm in New Zealand so have none of the stores you mention lol but my partner works for the biggest hardware retail chain over here so won't be too hard to get some of the bits I need hopefully

Thanks nighthawk. It's pretty good when it's on but getting it over my big head is another story lol

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers master builder. I'm in New Zealand so have none of the stores you mention lol but my partner works for the biggest hardware retail chain over here so won't be too hard to get some of the bits I need hopefully

I'm not sure if I would be saving you the hassle or cutting you a bit short on making your helmet. The reason I say that is because when you start adding the goodies on the inside of the helmet it will make it a bit snug so the helmet can fit properly and you do not look like a bubblehead. So if the helmet is a bit snug or having difficulty I would has to make the suggestion but making a helmet slightly bigger might be a decent option. However I am not entirely familiar with the scout helmet and how it fit because each helmet can fit a bit differently. So if the opening is a little tight you could always take a dremel tool and sand it down a bit so you can get it to fit over your head a bit easier. Because when you resin and Bondo it can make it a bit tighter when you try to fit it over your head.

Also when you do the Bondo and Resin make sure you reinforce it with sticks so the opening doesn't warp. I did my helmet in sections with resin but the entrance of my head got warped a little bit and I had to sand it bit.

I only placed one support before the resin stage and I got a very slight warp to the top flat panels that I had to fix with an hours worth of bondo and sanding :-( I dare say it would have been worse with no support at all.

Thanks for the advice, do I need to support it during the resin stage as well?

I would recommend having support OR if you do it in patches it works just as well. But supports are very hand with the opening and large areas that are flatter or round that have very little support tabs. However if it does warp which it should warp the paper a little bit bondo is meant to help cover it up and give it a smooth finish.

I only placed one support before the resin stage and I got a very slight warp to the top flat panels that I had to fix with an hours worth of bondo and sanding :-( I dare say it would have been worse with no support at all.

Just getting underway and haven't started helmets yet, but in general, would multiple supports be a wise idea? The pep, resin and bondo are all new to me, but from working with wood in the past, I know sanding can be very time consuming.. Would it make sense to create multiple supports out of some thinner custom cut dowels when putting on my first 2 coats of resin?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back