(Foam)Getting started on my first suit, my spartan from halo reach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vintagezach

Wanted to make my spartan from halo reach have no materials only have a long sleeve under aoumer shirt any suggestions and help pic of player soon or spec list if I can't post pic making from foam and what type of foam should I use?????

hmm, sounds like you're just discovering an interest in this and would benefit from some research. The question of which materials to use has been answered in great detail on several threads, take a look at the stickies. For foam you're likely going to want to use EVA floor mats that come in rolls or 2'x2' square puzzle-like sections. Also, 2-6mm craft foam sheets are advised for constructing the smaller details.

Your title gave the impression that this was a build thread, will you be displaying progress here?

ok so here is what got from that

You Want to make your spartan from halo reach.
but you don't have any materials - except for a long sleeve under armor shirt

and you would like any suggestions and/or help on this build

you will be posting a picture of your spartan soon or a plan of the armor pieces if you can't get one.

and finally you were wondering what foam to use and how to build with foam in general.

if i have this right i ask only one thing from you: that you calmly and slowly think out each point to a post rather than trowing it all in to a single sentence, this will allow us to help you better in the long run.

now on to your questions
1. materials : foam this is really straight forward but you will want a few different types and of course you need the construction materials (hot glue)
you will want 1/2 or 3/8 inch eva Foam mats, and if you want to capture a little more detail you can also get 5mm and 3mm craft foam sheets
you will need a hot glue gun and roughly 2-3 packs of hot glue (depending on specific construction techniques)

2. you are on a good track with the under armor shirt a good first start for an under suit.

3. you need to know that this can get very expensive relatively quickly (i spent around 500 dollars on constructing my first spartan suit, and about 150 on my brothers ODST suit) so be warned you need to know this before you start.

if there is anything else you have trouble don't hesitate to reach out to us, we are here to help.

also watch out for double posting Entirely new threads.

You will first need to upload your picture to an image-hosting site like imageshack or deviantart or tinypic. Then there should be a picture of trees above where you make your posts, click that, put the links of the pictures in there, and then tada!

Anything is possible. You just need a lot of patience. A lot. If you do build something I recommend working on a forearm piece first. My reasoning for that is that is the smallest piece that encloses a part of your body that you can wear and feel some satisfaction. Also, it will be easiest to build while giving you practice on the techniques. It will also help you decide if foam is actually the method you wish to use!

But keep at it and post lots of pics so we can learn from you!

Day 1. just started and got some stuff going to the store after thanksgiving, btw where do I get those foam mats and (pic soon) but would this look good and would you prefer it or make commando arm attachment??? Working on design for arms and helmet and shoes any suggestions for arms??? I don't know but ya day one!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so I'm not quite sure which foam you are using, but normally we all use EVA floor mats. They're all grey and you can usually find them at hardware stores (like Sears, Home Depot or Lowes). And I wasn't sure from the picture you uploaded, but are you using pepakura templates to make you pieces, or are you just doing it all from scratch?

Also, don't take the wrong way, but it's kind of hard to understand what you say. Is english your first language? Hablo espanol tambien, si eso es tu idioma natal.

I'm getting the Eva floor mats and I'm making it from scratch these are just some pieces from the house I cut up because I couldn't get to the store today and can't get it tomaro cause it's thanksgiving after that then I'll go to the store to get some Eva foam and start.

ok so if you are planning on going to do this by scratch you are going to want to get a lot of good reference photos.

you want these so that you can get a good idea of what the piece looks like.

as for where to buy the foam most hardware stores have it available for about $20-$25 for 4 sheets

or you can get it online at amazon, ebay or some other stores (this is cheaper in most cases) - here are 12 sheets for $40 - http://www.amazon.com/We-Sell-Mats-...&qid=1417108170&sr=8-10&keywords=we+sell+mats

just some quick things to look at.

This will probably help you a lot with your build,
Go to YouTube and search "spacemeat", you'll find a channel called Spacemeatthecosplay, its a channel by a 405th member (spacemeat) who has some of the best foam armor I've ever seen. The channel has step by step videos on everything you need to know about building foam armor and it even shows you how. This will save you a lot of time and prevent you for building a junk suit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back