ODST Build - Not finished yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsoBones

Hey all....
My name's Kyle (My friends call me Mudge)

This is my first serious cosplay build and I'll be using DaFrontlineTrooper's videos.

My ideal outcome to this build will be as below

411887-odst2.jpg

If anyone has any ideas/advice on building this suit let me know! :D

I'll be posting pics/updates as I progress through my build.

Hey all....
My name's Kyle (My friends call me Mudge)

This is my first serious cosplay build and I'll be using DaFrontlineTrooper's videos.

My ideal outcome to this build will be as below

View attachment 6682

If anyone has any ideas/advice on building this suit let me know! :D

I'll be posting pics/updates as I progress through my build.

Great idea on watching videos there are so many out there to give you hints and tips. I would recommend using EVA foam BUT* buy some cheaper foam to experiment first with. If this is your first time taking on a major art project such as this with no experience in what I call the Artsy Fartsy department it best if you buy some cheap foam "To get a feel for it" because the Eva foam is expensive but worth it" But you do not want to mess up a lot.

Do not be surprised if you mess up your helmet pep pieces. But some simple tips will help. Visually use your Pepakura designer to look at the portion to make sure you are doing it currently. You can line the numbers up but still mess up the shape of the object. On my helmet I was making one part and I just put it together without really looking how it was constructed and it flubbed up.

Do not be afraid to cut a bit extra to help round pep files. When I did my helmet I tinkered with it and helped it come out really smooth.

IF a portion of the pep file you construct is not pleasing just redo it. The portion I stated earlier I messed up I just went on anyways with it but since I Rondo the inside of the helmet I can just sand it to the shape I want anyways.

WHEN applying resin make sure you do it in sections but not tiny enough to where it takes forever. Also if you need to you can use skewer sticks to help reinforce the inside. Also make sure you setup supports for the part of the helmet your head fits through I didn't and it warped a little bit. Once again because it warped a bit to much I have to sand it down.

Rondo vs resin and Fiberglass. Rondo is resin + Bondo body filler, it is very solid very rigid and I like it better than Fiberglass resin which make it lighter. Rondo mix in resin and body filler to a pudding texture or syrup put in hardener then poor into helmet and roll around.
Fiberglass Resin have yet to use it but it is a bit more of a hassle in comparison to Rondo in application from what I have seen. Where you have to apply multiple layers.

Have you settled on using pepakura or foam? Most people recommend foam because it's light, cheap, and easy. Personally I'm getting started on a pepakura build because I want that hard-plate feel, and I'm willing to put in the thought and effort to get it built (also I'm coming off of my first foam project, which was really bad, so I've still got some PTSD or however - no matter, I'll still have to use some foam on this build).

All I can tell you is do your research. There's great resources here, and you've already discovered the wealth of videos out there. Also take a look at some of the builds out there and find out what works and what doesn't. All the time you spend absorbing information will make your work easier, and your final product better.

Good luck, trooper!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back