Squibs ODST build

Status
Not open for further replies.

squibs

Hey everyone! Brand new to the forums here and I wanted to hit the ground running. I am making an ODST for my first build and I am starting out with the helmet. I am going with the Pepakura method and I have it all cut out.
2014-12-02 00.17.26.jpg

Today I applied the first coat of resin to the outside, but it is quite cold today so that is all I got done.
2014-12-03 14.20.07.jpg
As for the armor itself I am going to be making that out of EVA foam and I have all the materials ready for that to get started as well.

I really look forward to showing my progress as I get the ball rolling full speed!

Re: Starting my ODST build

keep us posted on the resin. looks awesome so far

Looks great :thumbsup
The resin looks so clear in that shot, I've only ever seen it with a slightly yellow tint. Is that a particular type you are using, maybe for aquatic application judging by the label picture. Just curious because I prefer it clear and haven't seen it for sale in that variety.

give you a better shot of the resin I am using
IMG_20141204_182603.jpg

When i was applying it, I was going with very thin coats, but in the end it did still got that yellow tint to it. This is the only resin I have used so I am not 100% on what the differences are between the two types Bondo has. I know that this one advertises that it is 100% waterproof which I think comes in handy.

As for the progress on the helmet, it is about 30 degrees F out right now so it is a little bit uncomfortable working outside, but I have the fiberglass layer set and it is curing right now. It being so cold the resin wouldn't set properly so I made a nice little hot box for it to go into using a room heater and a cardboard box.
IMG_20141204_182646.jpgIMG_20141204_182655.jpg
Might not be pretty but it works. I will see how rigid it is after this layer is done setting and see if I need more fiberglass, but if not i will give it all a light sand and get to the Bondo.

alright another chilly day outside and it started snowing on me so I didn't get that much done.
The fiberglass layer was strong enough that I was comfortable moving on the the Bondo stage. I only got one layer on a few sections just so I can get a feel for it, and see how the sanding goes so I can get a better idea for how long this will take me.
IMG_20141205_170214.jpgIMG_20141205_170231.jpg
I am taking some classes on making silicone monster masks so I am going to talk to my instructor about helping out with the molding and casting once I am done. He also has a vacuum form which will help out a lot later for the face shield. That won't be for quite some time though.

For those of you who have done Bondo stuff before how thin do you usually make each coat? I was putting a good layer on there so I could sand it down to shape but I wasn't sure if it is better to do very thin layers and slowly fill in the low spots.

Thanks!! it is a little tough to work on with the cold weather but i am making steady progress. Keep up the good work on your armor as well!

- - - Updated - - -

Also I have secured the use of a vacuum form for when I get to the visor so I am pretty excited about that.

^ lucky guy, I've gotta make some more prop builder friends up here in the Kanada so I can play with some big toys.
The cold is such a bother, isn't it? You seem to be managing alright though with that make-shift hot box. That's pretty much what I do too, until it hits like -10C that is. Good to see another determined builder who doesn't let weather stand in the way of progress :thumbsup

ya it got down to -2C the other day and it was a little hard to work in that. hands get cold, but that space heater is my best friend right now. I ended up getting larger nitrile gloves and put them over some winter gloves so they were nice and insulated. made working outside a little more comfortable. On really cold days I will just get started on the armor.

I ended up getting larger nitrile gloves and put them over some winter gloves so they were nice and insulated. made working outside a little more comfortable.

Well hey, there's a great idea! I'll need to try that, thanks!

hey everyone sorry for the lack of updates but life stuff happens plus it has been raining for the past few days halting progress on my helmet. I am getting started on the armor and I was originally going to go with DFT design because it seemed like it would be the most comfortable to wear for long periods of time.
IMG_20141207_221115.jpg
I made the shins and after making them I know I can do better, so I am going to make my own templates and get as close as I can to the game armor. m00sem4n I am definitely going to be using your thread for inspiration on this build, your armor is fantastic. I think I am still going to avoid doing full thighs though because they seem to restrict a lot of movement. I have to order more foam mats but luckily I had $35 in amazon credit so i got 48 sq ft for $5 not a bad deal for me.

quick post I am working on the armor still and going legs up.
tumblr_ngem2fnXF11r79vo1o1_1280.jpg
sorry for the bad phone pic I don't have my camera right now. I am working on getting the base for the chest done tonight and then all the fun armor bits that go on top will be tomorrow.
everything is held on with tape right now so nothing is really fit right at the moment.

Looks great thus far, it's exciting seeing it come together at last eh, wearing it for the first time and such?!
Thanks for the name drop btw, always nice to hear when ones work is appreciated :$

so with the weather being the way it is, it will take way to long to finish this helmet going with the Bondo method. So I am changing material and I am going to be using smooth-on feather lite plastic resin. it is sandable and completely safe to use indoors. By adding Ure-fil I can make the resin into more of a paste which I can use to build up just like the bondo. Once I get started on this I will let you all know how it goes, I am sure a lot of you would like a non toxic alternative workflow for your armors.

Yeah looks good so far. Man pretty soon we will have a whole battalion of troopers. Just need the pods and then all Comic-Cons shall be ours!!!!!!!!!

Yeah looks good so far. Man pretty soon we will have a whole battalion of troopers. Just need the pods and then all Comic-Cons shall be ours!!!!!!!!!
I plan to have this done and wear it for PAX East this year. I was only able to get a Friday pass for it though. Making a drop pod would be awesome, if i had the money I would definitely do it.

I am sure a lot of you would like a non toxic alternative workflow for your armors.
Yeah. I would, you're a bit further ahead than I am on your ODST build. I like how many ODST's there are on the 405th forums now, it's just great! I'll be sure to check on this build again!

It is sad i have all my files but i much rather build it out of foam........curse you money!!! But keep it up man hope to see more.

So for my actual update today I was working on the upper body
IMG_20141214_020126~2.jpgIMG_20141214_020455~2.jpg
I didn't have templates so I winged it and made my own, me being the genius I am (sarcasm) decided who need straps and clips, and I glued the whole chest piece together, so now it is a bit of a contortionist act to get in and out but I can do it. I am going to trim the shoulder in closer because it is going to cause problems with the shoulder plates. Also them being so wide makes the plate on the chest look small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back