Dollar tree thoughts, any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

x6545

I want to get some of my pieces at the dollar tree, such as lights, gloves, socks ( attach boot armor to the socks) velcro. I have also been thinking of bed liner to cover the armor which would serve three purposes, 1) it will smooth edges, 2) adds strength and durability, and 3) easy to paint. I'm looking for opinions and experience. Thanks guys

dollar tree is a cheap fix for a lot of things but sometimes the quality is very poor of things they sell....I say make test samples and just wing it if it works you just saved TONS of cash/

Agreed ^^^ this is the approach I take, Dollar stores are cheap enough to experiment at least. It seems like half the supplies I get are at my Local Dollarama with the number of trips I make for glue alone, haha. As for the bed-liner I personally think that it's a good way to go, if you construct the suit in a sturdy enough way that flexing is not constant (assuming you're talking about foam here). I seal with and undercoat spray, very similar but it goes on a little lighter and is a little cheaper/more accessible.
G'luck:thumbsup

Also, yeah for the lights I have yet to find a better deal. Most of those simple electronics I get by tearing stuff apart that I buy from places like that since the components always seem to work out to cost more on there own (up north anyway).

Agreed ^^^ this is the approach I take, Dollar stores are cheap enough to experiment at least. It seems like half the supplies I get are at my Local Dollarama with the number of trips I make for glue alone, haha. As for the bed-liner I personally think that it's a good way to go, if you construct the suit in a sturdy enough way that flexing is not constant (assuming you're talking about foam here). I seal with and undercoat spray, very similar but it goes on a little lighter and is a little cheaper/more accessible.
G'luck:thumbsup

Also, yeah for the lights I have yet to find a better deal. Most of those simple electronics I get by tearing stuff apart that I buy from places like that since the components always seem to work out to cost more on there own (up north anyway).

idea we should make a list of what we can get from there and posted it so others can use it.

idea we should make a list of what we can get from there and posted it so others can use it.

Only thing is each store is different. I have two about 25 miles apart and about half of it it different. we could do it but it might not be a universal list.

Yeah, and it can be heavily seasonal. I think a lot of it is closeout or end-of-line stuff that they've bought up cheap, like Ollie's.

That said, a lot of stuff does cross over, particularly in the craft sections- foam shapes, florist's foam, craft foam sheets, etc. I imagine some of the plastic tableware could be useful for certain projects too.

Halloween is a good time for LEDs, though like people have said, there's usually some LED junk there the rest of the time too. If anyone's into aluminum casting, they usually have some smallish vermiculite cat litter bags. It's hard to remember all what's there without being in one, haha.

Perhaps a list should consist of an item, store location, and comments section for things like "I only saw this one time" or "This is always at this location but I've never seen it anywhere else." Maybe a photo too.

Speaking of Ollie's, btw, one I was in recently, I think it was the Greensboro one, much larger than the one near Roanoke, but they had Rustoleum light grey Stops Rust auto primer (the one we alternate with dark grey or Krylon ruddy brown as we work up the Bondo/sanding on surface finishes) for a dollar off at $3.99, but it was a 33% extra free can. So more paint for less money. :D Worth a look if you have an Ollie's nearby, I don't know their market range.

Speaking of Ollie's, btw, one I was in recently, I think it was the Greensboro one, much larger than the one near Roanoke, but they had Rustoleum light grey Stops Rust auto primer (the one we alternate with dark grey or Krylon ruddy brown as we work up the Bondo/sanding on surface finishes) for a dollar off at $3.99, but it was a 33% extra free can. So more paint for less money. :D Worth a look if you have an Ollie's nearby, I don't know their market range.

Does anyone else have a problem will all the new Rustoleum can that are outfitted with the "new" tips? The ones that you can spray upside down. I have a few cans that I couldn't even use up, and they usually get very bad towards the end. Spitting and sputtering, and a los of pressure. I think it's because they probably have two tubes in the can and they start to dry up, simply because you can't blow out all the access paint when your done, I know for sure it's not the tip.

Point is: I don't think I've ever made it through an entire %33 more can, they always clog up, and get to the point where you don't want to use them because of the spitting and sputtering.

I guess you just have to use them in a timely matter. I really wish they still offered the old cans.

I have no idea if I've used a new tip or not. I've never blown out the tube though. Bad practice, I know, but I've never had one dry up on me.

I guess they're assuming that people get through at least one can on a project, which tends to be my experience- I'm probably going to get through three primers and an enamel top coat on my BR85, and my last big spray paint project I got through I think four cans of Painter's Touch flat black. I don't think I've had any single can for longer than a year or so.

It seems to me it'd be more sensible if they didn't have siphons at all, and simply had a hole in the top and spraying upside down was standard, somehow. Then flipping it right side up could blow out the nozzle, and you could use every last drop of paint.

Yeah they work great on big projects, especially spraying in a tight spot like the underneath on a vehicle.

I do have other paints that are probably 6 or so years old, and they still work like new!

From what I gathered by using them is, it seems to dry up faster and faster the more individual times you use them, so a can you have only use like once will still last a long time. But other then that, I've had cans go bad In just a week or so of handy use.

I will cut one open with an ax so I can find out exactly what's up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back