Advice for Beginners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

londondee

Hello,

I just joined and am looking to cosplay as Kat (Halo Reach) for a convention in the future. I have never built armour before and am looking for some tips.

I have looked about this and other websites and it seems that there are two options; EVA foam and cardboard with coating. I have been leaning towards the EVA foam because this looks easier but I was wondering if someone might have time to share a few tips or perhaps point me towards some resources or tutorials for beginners.

I am confident that I can create a custom under suit and seals as I usually sew all of my outfits for cosplay but otherwise I am a bit nervous :)

Thanks!

p.s. This is my first ever forum post so hopefully I have adhered to all necessary etiquette.

welcome!
the only advice I can give you is: take your time. all the rushed parts are going to give you more work in the next steps.
good luck on your project, I'm looking forward more news ^^

Thanks! I have been looking around and found loads of great information. I am sure I will get stuck lots of times so it is nice to find a group of people willing to share tips!

Keep a plentiful supply of SHARP blades. Don't push it if they are getting blunt. Take your time. Cut some scraps and practice cutting, folding, bending, heating and gluing.
Have a look at JFCustom's tips for folding and gluing.

Scroll to about half-way down this page and there's some great pictures and explanations that really help.

SB

p.s. This is my first ever forum post so hopefully I have adhered to all necessary etiquette.
Lol, this was my concern posting here for the first time too. I kept checking back to see if someone told me I had posted in the wrong spot or something.

Anyway, seems like you've got a great attitude towards this and that will take you far because patience is key. If you do not have scratch building experience already I would definitely go with EVA. Sandbagger said it all really, I would only reiterate the part about maintaining a sharp blade. Can't tell you what a difference it can make in the quality of the build.

So, much luck to you and keep us posted, plenty of helpful bodies around :thumbsup

Lol, this was my concern posting here for the first time too. I kept checking back to see if someone told me I had posted in the wrong spot or something.

Nice - that is exactly what I was doing! I thought for sure someone would tell me I had done something wrong.

I have not personally worked with EVA foam. I usually make hard props. But while I can't give you build advice, I can for sure give you Con advice. Make at least part of the armor detachable so you can sit down. I've been to plenty of conventions and I've seen tons of people in big cosplays leaning against walls, lol. But good luck with the build. I look forward to seeing your progress.

I have not personally worked with EVA foam. I usually make hard props. But while I can't give you build advice, I can for sure give you Con advice. Make at least part of the armor detachable so you can sit down. I've been to plenty of conventions and I've seen tons of people in big cosplays leaning against walls, lol. But good luck with the build. I look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks! That is important advice as I usually stay all day and would hate to miss a great panel because I can't grab a seat. I have been looking about the site and have found great advice on how to create a "con friendly" costume.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the great advice everyone! I am going to start this weekend with the Pepakura files as I have to borrow a friends PC to access to program (I am a mac user so that is my first hurdle) and will try to start small as per Sandbagger's advice.

I will post my efforts in the hopes that I can get some tips and feedback along the way! I suppose I should just post them here on this thread ... I am really new to forums and still not sure about where things go.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! That is great!

Sounds like a plan, although I would get impatient having to wait for access to a PC, that must suck.

Any who, look forward to your first official progress update :thumbsup if you do post here you can always just change the thread title to something more pertinent to whatever path you choose to build.
Good luck!

Well I can finally say I have access to a PC with pepakura so I can FINALLY start building. I have managed to recruit my partner so we are going to build two suits and go as Church and Tex! I have been reading up on foam work and have scaled all my files in pepakura. I have to say that from the first look the smaller bits seem to be the most intimidating. I plan on starting at the bottom and working up so I will have an actual update soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back