Spartan S297(LEX) Build WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCx Killa Days

Hey, everyone. So I've been lurking now for a couple of weeks, just reading stuff... a lot of reading, and I started to post around a little bit but not much. But now - that I feel I have read enough (I will probably go back and read more) I have decided to make my Halo 4 Spartan and OC from a fanfiction I'm in the process of writing into a reality and build her armor, her sniper, and her magnum. So, it's a pretty big project. The main priority is getting the armor done in time to wear in to the Calgary Comic Con on April 16, which gives me a fair bit of time. (Also, if any other 405th Canadians are going to Calgary Comic Con, please let me know, because I'd love to do a meetup there!)

Anyways, this is S297:

S297 Reference Image.png

The helmet will be done with pepakura, and the rest of the armor pieces will be foam. Not sure what the undersuit will be yet - I'd like to get something with that octagon (hexagon?) pattern. So I have 4ish months to do this, and in the past three days I have managed to get the pepakura for the warrior helmet done but unfortunately I am considering trashing it because some parts are crooked, so another question - will bondo or filler be able to help balance out crooked areas or do I have to restart the helmet?

Messenger_5950122130373273235_14186196638175191.jpgMessenger_5950127135940536482_14186208572410928.jpg]

As you can see, the helmet is crooked and covered in mistakes, and at first I was pretty proud of it - after all, it was my first ever halo helmet, and Im sure nobody's helmet is perfect on the first try but I have this feeling that this helmet is reaching my potential. Anyways, I'm having trouble deciding if I want to shelf this helmet and then make on this week with sharper lines and less crookedness, or see where it goes with this one - thoughts?

Anyways, the to-do list for this giant project is:
-Helmet/Pepakura Stage
-Chest/Belly Pieces/Mapping Stage
-Shoulder Pieces/Mapping Stage
-Forearm Pieces/Mapping Stage

And then there is one more big problem I am going to have to tackle - the leg pieces. I haven't been able to find the pieces that S297 wears - I think it's RGVB Locking? Or something like that, in the files database. So I'm wondering if I should scratch build that, which is extremely daunting in itself, or replace it with some halo 3 or reach armor modified to match up to the rest of the suit.

I have a lot of work in front of, me luckily I have a lot of free time or else this task would have been extra scary :rolleyes

Any help is very appreciated! Sorry for dumping so many words into this post :)

Hey, everyone. So I've been lurking now for a couple of weeks, just reading stuff... a lot of reading, and I started to post around a little bit but not much. But now - that I feel I have read enough (I will probably go back and read more) I have decided to make my Halo 4 Spartan and OC from a fanfiction I'm in the process of writing into a reality and build her armor, her sniper, and her magnum. So, it's a pretty big project. The main priority is getting the armor done in time to wear in to the Calgary Comic Con on April 16, which gives me a fair bit of time. (Also, if any other 405th Canadians are going to Calgary Comic Con, please let me know, because I'd love to do a meetup there!)

Anyways, this is S297:

View attachment 7148

The helmet will be done with pepakura, and the rest of the armor pieces will be foam. Not sure what the undersuit will be yet - I'd like to get something with that octagon (hexagon?) pattern. So I have 4ish months to do this, and in the past three days I have managed to get the pepakura for the warrior helmet done but unfortunately I am considering trashing it because some parts are crooked, so another question - will bondo or filler be able to help balance out crooked areas or do I have to restart the helmet?

View attachment 7146View attachment 7147]

As you can see, the helmet is crooked and covered in mistakes, and at first I was pretty proud of it - after all, it was my first ever halo helmet, and Im sure nobody's helmet is perfect on the first try but I have this feeling that this helmet is reaching my potential. Anyways, I'm having trouble deciding if I want to shelf this helmet and then make on this week with sharper lines and less crookedness, or see where it goes with this one - thoughts?

Anyways, the to-do list for this giant project is:
-Helmet/Pepakura Stage
-Chest/Belly Pieces/Mapping Stage
-Shoulder Pieces/Mapping Stage
-Forearm Pieces/Mapping Stage

And then there is one more big problem I am going to have to tackle - the leg pieces. I haven't been able to find the pieces that S297 wears - I think it's RGVB Locking? Or something like that, in the files database. So I'm wondering if I should scratch build that, which is extremely daunting in itself, or replace it with some halo 3 or reach armor modified to match up to the rest of the suit.

I have a lot of work in front of, me luckily I have a lot of free time or else this task would have been extra scary :rolleyes

Any help is very appreciated! Sorry for dumping so many words into this post :)

First: welcome to the 405th.
second: try to include the visor when you pep the helmet. it adds alot of stability to the helmet.
third: glue the tabs inside of the pieces so that they all end up inside leaving a some what smooth exterior. if you leave the tabs on the outside it will take alot of bondo work to hide the tabs.
fourth: 4 months is a very short time for a build of this size, but that shouldnt discourage you. you know what you can and cant do. also it boils down to how bad do you want the armor

dont worry about being perfect the first time out. i did not read at all any of the stickies and i started out with a halo 3 hayabusa helmet being built out of regular paper. i was so frustrated i didnt come back to it for a long time.

this is what i meant by gluing the tabs on the inside. this is the outside of aztlans rogue helmet. i started a while back and shelfed it for a different build.
20141215_230829.jpg

Attachments

• 20141215_230829.jpg
    20141215_230829.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 206
Thanks!! Yeah I think it will look a lot smoother with the tabs on the inside. Yeah, 4 months is a super short time for a project of this size, but in Canadian schools (well, my school anyway) we have this thing called flex time which gives us an hour too work on projects, homework, etc. And my art teacher said I can work on in art class which is another hour at school, plus most of after school. I'm pretty determined to get this done lol

Again thanks for the help! Reprinting and doing the helmet today :)

CCx Killa Days that sounds a bit like study period except way nicer because you do whatever you want! I'm out of school ATM... Waiting for next year, can't believe I'm looking forward to it!
Anyway, I love all builds from props to spartans to hunters. Look forward to your progress!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!! Yeah I think it will look a lot smoother with the tabs on the inside. Yeah, 4 months is a super short time for a project of this size, but in Canadian schools (well, my school anyway) we have this thing called flex time which gives us an hour too work on projects, homework, etc. And my art teacher said I can work on in art class which is another hour at school, plus most of after school. I'm pretty determined to get this done lol

Again thanks for the help! Reprinting and doing the helmet today :)

you can also add the numbers to the pep file by going to the 2d menu and clicking on the show edge id tab and the numbers will printed along with pep file. they are basically alignment marks which help with the build tremendously. good luck on your buld

Didn't get as much done as I had planned as messing with the printer chewed up most of my flex time hour, (it wouldn't work because it had to be printed from a school printer, and you needed pepakura viewer to even print the file, which the school computer's don't have :( ) So that was a bit of a headache. I did start working on it a little bit, and I have to say, with the tabs on the inside the exterior is a lot smoother and better looking.

I will post a picture of progress tomorrow when I am done working on it :p

and Noble 10, it's broette :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So it doesn't let me post pics through my phone, so no pictures until I get home after shopping lol

Going to go pick up some resin along with all of my Christmas shopping haha

So it doesn't let me post pics through my phone, so no pictures until I get home after shopping lol
Howdy! I dunno if its some other factor that barred you from posting but I had to work off my phone for a couple weeks and had no probs posting to this site during that time. Did you remember to select view full site at the bottom of the page, because mobile functionality is limited? Just for future reference, might be worth trying again.

Build is coming along nicely too, btw :thumbsup

So I didn't end up getting the ingredients for the Rondo mixture, but I did get all of my Christmas shopping done, so yay!

Anyways, I was thinking as a less toxic and cheaper alternative to the rondo, I could use the hot glue method and then paint it with acrylics as I have so many bottles of paint lying around it wouldn't cost me anything. @m00sem4n, you used the hot glue method, didn't you?

DSC_0509.JPG

That pile of papers are now all in pieces, just assembling tonight and tomorrow and then the rest on Saturday and Sunday. Would the acrylics look any good or would should I still use spraypaint?

Yepp, I've used hot glue to line the interior of the first bucket I finished. I gotta warn you though, very messy and a little bit wasteful. The hard part is trying to balance between good clean coverage on the prop and keeping your work space from becoming a rubbery hell. I went about it by actually slowly melting packs of glue into a tin tray and brushing/spreading it on. I would really only advise this if you have a messy shop hotplate and toxins are not an option (as was my case at the time).

Also, the purpose of the hot glue was to provide a watertight barrier more than anything. The paper mache over that provided rigidity. It's a pretty labourious process to apply to a whole suit, can't say I'm sure it would be worth it :unsure

Well that would be understandable. I'm just going to use the traditional fiberglass and bondo method. So far I haven't done as much progress as I wanted, but here is the latest update picture.

Messenger_5952625032947103590_14192164023060454.jpg

There is the new helmet and the old test helmet. There have been a few more pieces added on and then tomorrow will be shopping day, hopefully applying some resin. On my list for the city tomorrow:
-Fiberglass Resin
-Bondo Body Filler
-Catalyst
-Respirator
-Blue Spray paint
-Sandpaper
-Some sort of visor material
-EVA Foam (I already have some but it has carpet material that makes it very difficult to have clean cuts)

So yeah. I also bought my Comic Con tickets! It's still a few months away but I am very excited! It's going to be my first ever Comic con, so any tips for the ultimate noob going to a con in costume is appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back