ODST Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barroth

Jr Member
Hello Members of the 405th Infantry Division!

I am building some ODST armor. I'm thinking the standard black with the detail color blue. I was wondering... when you think of a Helljumping space marine, what visor color best suits him?

I think of silver or silver-blue visor
some make it dark orange though
url.png

I'm going with EVA foam for the body, and a cardstock helmet made from pepakura, strengthened with EVA foam. I'll probably use a 2 liter bottle for the visor with a cellophane overlay for the color. I'm going for the cheap side of the build...

In a sense yes I will be putting foam in it. It will cover the entire inside of the helmet except for the visor area. I will be using this in a high contact situation, so foam is better and cheaper and less likely to crack. Any suggestions on how to get it to last longer?

I'm going with EVA foam for the body, and a cardstock helmet made from pepakura, strengthened with EVA foam. I'll probably use a 2 liter bottle for the visor with a cellophane overlay for the color. I'm going for the cheap side of the build...
I hear ya on the cheap bit, I've got virtually no budget myself, haha
As far as strengthening with EVA, I don't imagine that going very well. If toxins are your concern (like mine) you can firm up the helmet by pouring/painting melted hot glue throughout the inside. Its messy, wasteful, and you will burn, but your lungs will thank you lol. All that being said it can produce very nice results it you apply some sort of filler to the outside afterwords and sand it smooth. I have an example if you'd like to see what I mean (just didn't want to parade my pics through your thread without asking).

Great!
So this is what i was talking about. It's a pep helmet, inside coated with hot glue, then all-purpose plaster and white glue on the outside. The white glue strengthens the plaster a lot and provides an excellent painting surface.IMG_20141024_120704.jpgIMG_20141024_120936.jpg
So as you can see, not on par with some of the work around here, but it was cheap and non-toxic. I was also considerably younger so technique was lacking. (note the kitchen sponge padding, told you I was thrifty, lol)

Edit: High contact you say..? Well I'm not sure how rough said contact would be but this thing has survived several drops and and a little bro, sooooo

never thought about using a 2 liter bottle but that's actually a pretty cool cheap method to do a visor! good luck to you and welcome!

Ok I see what you mean. I didn't think EVA foam was toxic, given that it is used for floor mats. Also, I know the ODST's carry their spare magazines somewhere. The character model doesn't really show it though. Would it be in their backpack or at their hip or chest?

Ooops, sorry, I was not clear. EVA itself is non-toxic. I meant If you were choosing that method to avoid resin. Sorry again for confusion. That being said, Don't breathe the dust at all because that is very bad.

I know that In the ODST game they show pouches strapped just about anywhere and they do carry those huge backpacks, yes.

to me resin and glassfiber is the best way, but yeah m00sem4n is right, it's kinda toxic, so wear a gas mask if you use this method

m00sem4n can you tell us more about your helmet? is it rondo you used to strenghten it?

Is there any way to get the EVA armor to keep the paint on it under high stress? i.e. running, sliding, rolling, being tossed, etc.

I don't have any clue as I didn't try painting foam, try hairspray? maybe it'll protect the paint
acrylic paint is quite elastic, maybe it won't have many problems

Yeah I would go with acrylic for the high strain application you seem to be describing. Especially since it's probably not worth it to spend time and money on a paint job you're most likely going to beat up on, haha.
Tetro, nope, all non-toxic. The helmet pictured above was just hot glue internally like I mentioned and then some good 'ol paper mache for rigidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back