question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prizrak

Hey guys, I haven't been on on this for long and am probably going to sound like a complete idiot for asking this but can you make weapons out of E.V.A foam or does it have to done with that styrofoam insulator stuff?
Again for give me if it's an incredibly stupid question.

I think that really depends on your skill set. Using EVA can be an easier choice if the prop has a ton of organic shapes. It sands easily and detail is easy to burn in it you have a steady hand or use guides. The hardest part in my opinion is how you deal with the seam where multiple layers join, that is, if you choose to take a layered approach. I believe you can order EVA online that is untreated on both faces, so joining would be easier. If the design permits, then you can also hide most ugly seams with bands of thin craft foam or even a filler if your chosen method of sealing is thick enough.

All-in-all, it's a pretty straight forward approach to making convention-safe props. Just don't expect supreme levels of detail, foam has limits. Using insulating foam is fun because of how quickly you can produce props compared to other methods. I don't really like this method though because I haven't been impressed with how it holds up to general ware. Collects little nicks and dings to easily.

I asked Will Morgan and Bill Doran the other month if they knew a good Bondo replacement for EVA, and they said no. I figured some kind of epoxy clay would work like Apoxie Sculpt or Free Form or something, but the response seemed generally negative. If anyone on the 405th has any knowledge here that'd be awesome. MDF takes SO LONG to work.

In order to make EPS foam tough enough for realistic use, you have to coat it with a foam coating resin, like pure epoxy or Smooth-On Epsilon. I believe that's what the Mgalekgolo Twins are doing on their EVA hunters to prevent floppiness.

talking about Bill Doran just a quick video about a foam

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back