Advice for building Star Lord's helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leda

Hey all! It's been almost 5 years since I've last made a post on the 405th and unfortunately it's been 5 years since I've even touched anything relating to armor making. I've recently gotten a spark of inspiration and wanted to start getting back into armor building by cosplaying Star Lord/Peter Quill from Guardians of the Galaxy! Although I never actually finished building the Halo armor I wanted to build so long ago (I was in middle school and didn't have a source of income), but now I'm now an adult with a job and I have a bit of time to myself when I'm not working and I wanted to dedicate that time to making armor, but I wanted to start off light by just building a helmet instead of a full suit, so I figured Star Lord could be a good choice to ease my way into it.

I've recently discovered as of several years ago that there is also the eva foam alternative as opposed to the fibreglass method. I've watched a ton of videos of people building armor with eva foam and it looks a lot easier to work with than tediously supergluing tiny little tabs together, but my question is really what would you all recommend for this type of build? I've also seen videos of people using cardboard + paper mache and a lot of them didn't look too shabby at all, so that could also be a possibility. Eva foam looks easy to work with, but I'm still very unfamiliar with how to work with it and how to strengthen it (if at all) and how I'm able to sand it and whatnot. This helmet does have a lot of tiny details in it and I'm not sure if eva foam is the best way to go, but I just wanted to see what you guys would recommend. Money isn't an issue for me, I just wanted to see which method would probably be better in terms of accuracy and just making it look good overall.

Guardiansofthegalaxy_avatar_star-lord.png
(If you aren't familiar with Star Lord's helmet, that's what it looks like)

For a helmet like this I would recommend the Pepakura fiberglass resin and bondo approach, especially if you want to get all of the fine detail work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back