First Build, H3 Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuprWeenieHutJr

Hey Guys,

It has always been a dream of mine to build a halo suit but I've never had the resources to do so, now I do, and with the help of this site I'm hoping to make a solid first entry.

I'm at school right now decently far from home which gives me some challenges, I can only pep at school and have to do anything more than that at home. Because of that I will most likely be done with all of the pepping before I make it to the fiberglassing/bondo/painting stage. The only time I've had to do anything beyond pep work is Thanksgiving break, so there are very few pics of that.

I didn't plan on sharing pics of my build, so I will admit the pictures I do have are somewhat random (mostly just pics I took to keep track of the scaling and to make sure it was correct).

If you have any advice, or criticism, I'd love to hear it. It is my first attempt so I'm not expecting it to be perfect, but damnit I'm trying. Here are the pics thus far.

attachment.php

First piece I finished, turned out a little rough but the sizing seemed correct.

attachment.php

Didn't document the shoulder build very much, this is the only pic I had of it pepped, and the helmet about halfway done.

attachment.php

Slightly better pic of the helmet

attachment.php

Helmet finished (I apologize for bad lighting, finished it at about 5am)

Also to note what looks like tears around the opening, I had to make cuts in order to allow it to fit on my head.

attachment.php

helmet size test 1.jpg
The scaling (at least to me) seems to be about as good as I could get it for the helmet.

attachment.php

The shoulder, first and only piece I have ready for paint right now. It's not perfect but I'm still very happy with it for the first piece.

I fiberglassed the inside, and then poured rondo on the outside to make it more durable, and smooth out some of the rougher parts. After failing miserably trying to use regular bondo on the bicep portion, rondo turned out to be way easier, although slightly wasteful.

helmet rondo.jpg
Same method with the helmet, although I did not finish the fiberglassing on the inside. It was pretty sturdy with the bit I had done so I jumped to rondo, figured I would go back and finish the fiberglassing after.

attachment.php

The rondo left the top of the helmet with the ridges of the pepping still showing, so I had to go back with regular bondo to smooth it out. Here is the most recent progress pic of it. I did this over Thanksgiving break but had to go back to school before I could finish more of it.

Post-Thanksgiving Break

attachment.php

Since I can only pep at school, I went on to the torso and cod piece.
*Note: I knew if I put both underarm portions I wouldn't be able to get the chest on anymore, so all of the pictures I have it hasn't been built yet.

attachment.php

And the back view. Once again, lacking the underarm portion on the chest plate makes it look irregular.

attachment.php

Everything I have finished so far. The leg portion sits funny because I am just holding it with my arm and the knee is taped to the thigh. Also the cod piece was sitting a little low in this picture. I wish I had more pictures because after adjusting it around a little bit it seems to fit perfectly.

That's all I have so far! I will update to this as I can but going on winter break soon and I won't be making any progress on it until after that.

Attachments

• forearm sizing.jpg
    forearm sizing.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 380
  • part collection pic.jpg
    part collection pic.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 346
  • helmet pep progress.jpg
    helmet pep progress.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 345
  • helmet pepped.jpg
    helmet pepped.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 349
  • helmet size test 2.jpg
    helmet size test 2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 340
  • shoulder.jpg
    shoulder.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 350
  • helmet sanding.jpg
    helmet sanding.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 417
  • Cod piece and torso.jpg
    Cod piece and torso.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 423
  • cod piece and torso back.jpg
    cod piece and torso back.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 351
  • cod piece torso leg.jpg
    cod piece torso leg.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 341
welcome!
pep looks clean, that's a good job so far
the only advice I could provide is quite a personal opinion: when doing the bondo/sanding job, you can work on small areas and going step by step instead of puting bondo all over the piece. it makes it easier sometimes.
keep up the good work, that's a build I'd love to see once done ^^

welcome!
pep looks clean, that's a good job so far
the only advice I could provide is quite a personal opinion: when doing the bondo/sanding job, you can work on small areas and going step by step instead of puting bondo all over the piece. it makes it easier sometimes.
keep up the good work, that's a build I'd love to see once done ^^

Yeah after what I have done that is most likely going to be my plan. I saw one build where the guy used playing cards to section off parts and then he rondo'd that section. It gave very clean lines. I might try that next because my family has an absurd amount of playing cards.

Small (and very overdue) update here...

As I stated in the original post I can only do pep work while I'm at school, and I haven't been able to get home a whole lot, but almost all of the pep work is finally done!

WqFizEb.jpg

I've noticed with most custom suits that people make, the legs always seem to short. Looking at pictures of Chief such as the one below, you can see that his legs are almost abnormally long.

Master+Chief.png

Benefits of being a video game character I guess. Anyways, it has been my goal from the beginning to make my suit to scale. I have long legs to begin with, but to add to my leg length I plan on trying to lift the boots a bit, put something in the heel and on the sole to give myself a few more inches of height. The boots are fairly large, so I should have plenty of room.

I was just curious if anyone had any recommendations on how to do that? I know they make shoe inserts specifically to give the wearer a height boost, but I can imagine those are expensive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have discovered I really enjoy pepping, and since I can't do any more work at school on the first suit, I needed to entertain myself.

jqPwJyq.jpg

Jorge's helmet didn't turn out all that great and there was some warping in the visor, however the Operator helmet turned out just about perfectly.

RIfuwSm.jpg

These are the only pictures I have right now, but if any of you want to see more I would gladly take a few more. I actually am able to go home this weekend, hoping to make a bunch of progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back