Replica ordnance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, thanks very much. I guess I will make my own interpretation of it small enough to put on the bottom of the sniper round.

I'm not sure if this helps, but I found it. It's worth a try. I don't know much about it, I tried though. :)

180px-Misriah-logo.png

In the wiki page and a few other pages I have read, they all say a winged hourglass. To me that doesn't look like a winged hourglass aha. I have found that picture before too.

that's it huh bings not working fully I guess but its werid and I'm guess this is where you heard/ read this from. "Misriah Armory also produces hand-loaded match-grade ammunition for the SRS99D-S2 AM sniper rifle, used by Linda-058 during the Battle of Onyx." so yeah I'm a reader. and you have to put X's on both sides of that image if you want it to be spot on ammo.

Yeah haha. It doesn't much look like the description, but I do believe it to be the logo.
As far as I can tell the only marking on any of the misriah guns themselves is the words "MISRIAH ARMORY"
but I do think it'd be pretty neat to see the logo on the primer of some bullets.
Definitely post pictures please once you have them finished.
I would love to see as I'm sure others would as well. :)

Hope it comes out the way you want.

Oh, huh! Doesn't look like any hourglass I've ever seen but alright! Will need to find someone to engrave it somehow. And yes the two X's on either side too. Any ideas on the M68 round? That and the sniper round I will get made first.

m68 is the same as the sniper all ammo tpyes have it. funny thing to do it put that on the front of a guess round and when you shot a hunter with you cant say "oh yeah I give that one a tattoo for free." lol

Sorry I'm meant how should I get the M68 round made up? A steel slug with a copper jacket (which would cost more, but he more realistic) or just a solid copper slug? And for the nose of it, there is a red stripe, and the very front is a cyan color. Should the colored parts be anodized aluminum? Or painted copper? Or something else?

That is the "winged hourglass", yeah. Being a logo, it takes some artistic license to make it more graphical. I know it's on the stock of my BR85 as well as the "MISRIAH ARMORY" text elsewhere, but I don't recall seeing it on another weapon, off-hand. It might be on the new S99. I should check to see if it's mentioned on the BR85 ammo, since I'll need to add it there too.

Okay thanks RobTc! What do you guys think would be better, make the M68 round out of solid brass/copper, or make it a steel slug with brass/copper jacket? It would cost more but would be more realistic and would weigh a nice amount. How should I do the red/cyan color on the top? Anodized aluminum? Paint it? Some other way?

Bronze, not brass. Slightly different colour and is soft enough to self-lubricate. What I would do is electroplate a lathed steel slug in a copper coating and allow that to patina to the colour of bronze. That just needs a PC power supply or car battery and a copper sulphate solution.

I'm not so sure - as I'm aware, the Halo 4 Limited Edition lists the details of the BR85HB and the ammunitions type it uses, and lists the munitions as 9.5x40mm rounds.

That said, it's important to note that the game models often fluff it up - the Assault Rifle, I recall, has no way to fit 60 rounds into the magazine, at the ammunition type given, so it's worth instead working on what fits yourself.

I know they upped the power of the rounds when they started using heavy barrels, which typically just requires a hotter filling- and therefore more space in the casing to fit the extra powder. Usually the higher-powered rifle rounds out there are about double the length, or just under, of the actual bullet itself, which only has its back end crimped into the casing. So the 13x80mm total dimensions makes complete sense to me.

On the other hand, I was looking at the magazine and it looks closer to 20 rounds, not 36, but maybe if it's double-width and they zigzag down it might just about be doable. I could lay out a diagram for that to check.

Edit: Nah, comes out at 13 rounds. Now I'm stuck though, because it fires a specific size, and it would look weird if I dropped it down to 5.56mm or something in order to fit 36 rounds in there- which I don't even need to do, I'm only making the top one or two. I think I'll just go with 343i's lack of realism and stick to the game model. Make what it is, not what it "should be".

BR85 HEAVY-BARREL SERVICE RIFLE

CARTRIDGE: M634 X-HP-SAP, 9.5 X 40mm
MAGAZINE: 36 rounds
LENGTH: 99.2cm
HEIGHT: 29.9cm
WIDTH: 6.1 cm
WEIGHT: 7.6kg
COST:1906.00cR

and that is straight out of the book let. and I still don't know why the DMR cost's more.

I'm guessing the DMR has a longer, more highly tuned barrel. Which itself seems to be the highest cost component of a system. Considering the simplicity of a sniper rifle, there's no reason they should cost ten grand or more more than a long barrel battle rifle with all their gas operated moving parts- unless you're paying for the higher engineering costs of the bigger barrel.

oh man for the price on one sniper could pay for four BR85 and still have some money left over. so if you ever sale these bad boy remember that left fact.

Does anyone here have a 3D printer? I need the sabots for the sniper round made up. They are made of superhard polymer in the game, but 3D prIntimg would work just fine. I can of course pay for the cost and shipping etc. thanks!

Not yet, though I'm planning on building one later in the year. That doesn't help much right now though. :p

Looks like I'm gonna be using real 14.5x114mm casings. Someone said I could make a few and sell them but I don't know, the casings are rare in North America and not cheap either. I suppose I could but I would need to get a couple casings at a time.

Finally got 1 piece of the 14.5mm sniper round. This is an 8x90mm Tungsten bar, going to be used for the dart itself (or more correctly, penetrator). I need it machined which has proven to be a BIG pain in the rear. Emailed 11 local machine shops with no luck. Might have found a buddy to help down in the US. It will be rounded on one end, the front. The middle will have rings cut into it, not deep but just enough to have the sabots lock on just like a real APFSDS round. The end I thought I would get threaded but it would cost ALOT, so I will just get it machined down a little thinner, and the fins will slide over-top and be glued in-place. It is pictured with a real 25mm APFSDS dart, minus fins. It is an experimental one and is much larger than normal but you get the point of what it will look like. Finding a casing is impossible too. Always see them but now I need one I cant. Also looking for someone with a 3D printer that can print a set of sabots for me, I dont have access to one. Anyone here have one that can help me? I can pay ofcourse.
I will make another update once I get this darn thing machined!Tungsten rod2.jpg Tungsten rod.jpg

I just need it to be as simple as possible, the simpler, the cheaper. I was talking to a metal-working friend and he said to thread the end would take atleast 2 hours, and would need specific tools, and cost probably 100$ alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back