Replica ordnance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaceinvader

Hello all!

Before I begin, I am sorry if this is not the right place to post this, I'm new to the forum and restricted to this part. Thought this would be the best place to post this.

So so besides my love of Halo, I also collect real-world INERT ordnance, such as artillery shells and the like. So I was thinking, why not combine the 2 and get some replica Halo ordnance made up?

I know a few people and a local company that can make them, but first I need every measurement of a round. Problem is, I don't have them. I know basic dimensions (like the sniper rifle uses a 14.5x114mm APFSDS or HVAP round) so I know the caliber and length of the casing. I'm sure there is a way to figure out the dimensions using math and some calculations but I'm god-awful at math! So really I'm looking for someone who can help me. If anyone knows how to do something like this, please PM me and we can work something out. Thanks very much everyone!

The Art of Halo 3 features some to-scale ammunition sketches. Otherwise, the only dimension you really need is the circumference of a round - after that, everything slots into place.

...And assuming the to-scale sketches are orthographic and side-on, you have your circumference via pi.

Just need someone with The Art of Halo 3. I haven't yet started my Halo art book spree. I wonder if there's an Art of Halo 4? I need to turn a couple 9.5mm match rounds for the BR85 magazine.

...And assuming the to-scale sketches are orthographic and side-on, you have your circumference via pi.

Just need someone with The Art of Halo 3. I haven't yet started my Halo art book spree. I wonder if there's an Art of Halo 4? I need to turn a couple 9.5mm match rounds for the BR85 magazine.

I have pretty much every Halo book. You're welcome to them - and, I have TAOH3 as well. Most of the scales are defined within that book as it is. I could take a scan for you.

That'd be awesome. The actual geometry is kinda there in the 3D asset, but not as helpful as it could be. The whole magazine is a bit hand-wavy because it's only on screen for like, 4 frames or something. Having a proper detailed sketch would be ideal.

That'd be awesome. The actual geometry is kinda there in the 3D asset, but not as helpful as it could be. The whole magazine is a bit hand-wavy because it's only on screen for like, 4 frames or something. Having a proper detailed sketch would be ideal.

Sure thing. I'll put the scan up for you tomorrow - and, if you want the books, let me know. There's a whole box of them, I've converted to digital reading nowadays.

Sure thing. I'll put the scan up for you tomorrow - and, if you want the books, let me know. There's a whole box of them, I've converted to digital reading nowadays.

Fantastic, thanks! I'd love to have the books too, though don't bother shipping anything you don't need to on my account. I still haven't brought any of my stuff over...

The Art of Halo 3 features some to-scale ammunition sketches. Otherwise, the only dimension you really need is the circumference of a round - after that, everything slots into place.
Im assuming I'm not Maine these, my skills are not really good. I also have the Halo encyclopedia, it also has all the different pictures and drawings. If I go to the local CNC shop they would need to know the spacing between the rim and the casing etc. It would need every little detail and measurement.

Fantastic, thanks! I'd love to have the books too, though don't bother shipping anything you don't need to on my account. I still haven't brought any of my stuff over...

Nor have I. Likely I'll let you have them once I'm settled down in Woodbridge.

Also, foxleader, thanks for saving me some hassle!

Last edited by a moderator:
well that's what I do I help people arc.
Thanks alot! I have the Halo encyclopedia and I could have sworn it had the same picture, but it doesnt, its a smaller version and only a few rounds. Hopefully I can get this done sometime in the next few months. Maybe even have the projectile be removable. I would really love for the sniper rifle to actually have the sabots and perpetrator able to come out. I will hopefully get a post up sometime this year! Thanks again to all of you!

it was the halo reach art book, and yes I have all the books and I'm a lot like a guy that works for ONI when it comes to halo and to be frank about frank o connor... who ever they hired to help him with halo lore should brush off the books and read the again because frank forgot about the TTR (tactical training round.) and called them something else.

By the way, does anyone know what the M68 Gauss cannon projectiles are made of? Im guessing since it is a smaller MAC cannon, it would be made of something magnetic. It looks like copper or brass in the picture but I cant find anything about the actual projectile, unlike the sniper rifle round which is very detailed. And also looking for what the sniper rifles HVAP round looks like too. If not I have an idea of what it would look like based off real-world HVAP rounds.

Looks like steel jacketed in a copper or bronze lubrication coating.

FYI, if you set that particular 1023x630px comparison pic to 50dpi (the 1" cube is 50px high) then your rulers will be accurate in either imperial or metric.

Edit: I am, however, having issues with my 9.5x40mm round. According to Photoshop's analysis tools, in the art, the overall length is around 58mm by 13.5mm maximum width (not counting the rim). In the game model, the width is about 13mm, and the length is about 80mm. For a 40mm match-grade round, the latter makes far more sense to me, but you'd assume the art book takes less artistic license than the game. Is the 9.5x40mm KURZ in the image not the same as the M634 X-HP-SAP used in the BR85HB (and maybe the BR55 HB, but not the BR55)? I'm just going to stick with the 13x80mm dimensions, because that makes sense to me and is what the model is built around, but I just wanted to log the discrepancy.

Okay thanks RobTc! What do you guys think would be better, make the M68 round out of solid brass/copper, or make it a steel slug with brass/copper jacket? It would cost more but would be more realistic and would weigh a nice amount. How should I do the red/cyan color on the top? Anodized aluminum? Paint it? Some other way?

robtc the heavy barrel uses a larger round then the plain br55.

I'm not so sure - as I'm aware, the Halo 4 Limited Edition lists the details of the BR85HB and the ammunitions type it uses, and lists the munitions as 9.5x40mm rounds.

That said, it's important to note that the game models often fluff it up - the Assault Rifle, I recall, has no way to fit 60 rounds into the magazine, at the ammunition type given, so it's worth instead working on what fits yourself.

BR85 HEAVY-BARREL SERVICE RIFLE

CARTRIDGE: M634 X-HP-SAP, 9.5 X 40mm
MAGAZINE: 36 rounds
LENGTH: 99.2cm
HEIGHT: 29.9cm
WIDTH: 6.1 cm
WEIGHT: 7.6kg
COST:1906.00cR

and that is straight out of the book let. and I still don't know why the DMR cost's more.

Anyone have a picture of the Misriah Armory logo? I have read its an winged hourglass but can't find pics. And as asked before what should I do for the M68 projectile as asked above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back