New Recruit Starting First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentinel James

Hey everyone! I'm very new to all this armor and costume designing but I've been wanting to do it for years after I saw what other members had done at events in the past. Now I got a good job and my own place so I decided its time for me to start! It seems like most newcomers start out here by introducing themselves and show what their first build is that they are working on so I'll get right to that.

ODST 2.jpg ODST 3.jpg

I'm starting off with an ODST Helmet build, and just a note this is my first time every doing anything related to a project like this so I'm still learning. I always liked the ODST helmets and figured I would do it first to test myself. So far the helmet is a bit larger than it should be for me to wear it even after accounting for the extra space to put additions inside the helmet. I'm still proud of me getting this far with it already so I want to end up finishing it and just keeping it as a looks-only piece to put up somewhere.

I have the basics down on the pepakura portion of these costumes so any tips for when I finish up here would be awesome!

Nice pep work!

I hear it's a lot easier to start on the top of the helmet and work your way down (only way I've done it). Otherwise it seems to get quite tricky at the last bit of joining the top.

Looks like you're on the right track. Keep it up!

if that is your first attempt to build the helmet, I say damn. that looks really good

Thanks for the feedback guys! Yeah I wasn't completely sure if I should do it from the top or bottom.I haven't had any trouble so far and to me I felt like getting all those small pieces together on the bottom half would've been better than waiting for it to be one of the last sections. I'm hoping to have it all together by tomorrow night so I'll post some pics when I can!

So are you thinking about resin or bondo yet? Because somthing that looks that good deserves to be worn! Keep up the good work.

I want to wear it but it just came out a bit larger than it should be. Lol who knows. I have a 3 day weekend coming up so hopefully I can start with the hardening stage. I was thinking of using fiberglass resin on the outside then rondo on the inside. After that use bondo on the outside for smoothing and detailing. How does that sound?

Here is my latest photo from Tuesday night. I had some training to do so I didn't have time to finish yet.
20150113_212428.jpg
Sorry for it being rotated, I'm on my phone stuck at work

Resin and rondo work well, just make sure not to use too much rondo as it gets a little heavy. my helmet weighs a ton. pep looks great too. you would be surprised about the sizing, might be just right with more armor around it. what was the height you used?

I believe I went with doing the width by measuring the head opening and adding a couples inches from that. It was a suggestion from a friend. We'll just have to see when it's done. Also I'm used to wear heavy gear all day for 14 hours so I should be fine with the amount I looked up in other tutorials.

I know it's been a while since I had any updates but I haven't given up. Work is being rough this past week. Hoping to get more on it tomorrow and once pay day comes around!

Alright its been a month and I've had to deal with a virus and surgery but now I'm back on progress. Today I finished the ODST shoulders for this build! Even included the 405th logo printed out with it just for fun lol

ODST Shoulder.jpg

Helmet is still being worked on since I have not been able to apply any resin due to being down for a few weeks, but I'm glad to be working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back