Introduction and First Build Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felipe06

Hello people !

My name is Felipe, I'm new to the 405th, and seek some help from you, the professionals! I've been doing costumes for about 4 years, but this would be my first attempt at making a Spartan costume, which I've been dreaming to make since Combat Evolved. I have experience with both foam and pepakura, as many of my previous works used both:

Facebook-20150113-103908.jpgFacebook-20150113-104208.jpg (Red Hood and Deathstroke)

For my Spartan build, I am planning to make a custom Halo 4 Spartan with a Battle Rifle.
I haven't decided on the forearms or leg yet, but plan to use Mark V for the helmet, Recon chest and Rogue shoulders.
Facebook-20150113-104238.jpg (Mark V pep model done :p)

For the Battle Rifle I'm planning to use a sliced model, but this is where I'm not sure how to proceed:

Capture.PNG

It's the first time attempting such a thing, so I'm not entirely sure how to make it, and what materials I'd need.
I'm hoping to install a LED display, so maybe this helps get an idea how to proceed.
So any suggestions, tips and tutorials would be greatly appreciated, and I'm not opposed to any alternatives to making the Battle Rifle.

Thanks in advance, hope to work with some of you :p

(BTW any fellow Montrealers in here :p?)

The best way I found to put an led display in the BR is to use a few led's behind plexi glass. I did this by putting a light coat of liquid electrical tap that will let light shine through then the front of the glass I masked off the numbers I wanted and used a mat black paint to mask the light that was coming through. Ex. if you wanted it to show 32 rounds left tap off 32 and spray the rest black this will let the light come through. The black on the back of the glass will act as a defuses so you don't see each led behind. I used this trick a few times and it turned out great!

As work on the recon chest is going forward, I was hoping to know if anybody knows where I can find a pepakura model of the X27-Shifting forearms?
If any exist, I can't seem to find them o_O
H4_XV-27_Shifting_Arme.jpg

The best way I found to put an led display in the BR is to use a few led's behind plexi glass. I did this by putting a light coat of liquid electrical tap that will let light shine through then the front of the glass I masked off the numbers I wanted and used a mat black paint to mask the light that was coming through. Ex. if you wanted it to show 32 rounds left tap off 32 and spray the rest black this will let the light come through. The black on the back of the glass will act as a defuses so you don't see each led behind. I used this trick a few times and it turned out great!

I'll keep that in mind :p

Quick update !
10934671_10153600727349922_7774715_n.jpg
Front of the recon chest is done !

Got a few questions for the forum:
- would it be better if I go through the resin/fiberglass/bondo process when I finish all the pep models, or is it better to do a few at time ?
- anyone got suggestions or tutorials on making the undersuit from Halo 4 ? I found a lot of reference images, but not sure how to do it :p

So finally got a hold on my 360 :D

ugcuserfile-6745f9d7-f0c9-4cb4-b04b-b11cae27b8fe-413b763921eba749-full.jpg

This is pretty much what I have in mind, still debating on the legs though ...

Looking great, the torso is looking sooo good :D.

Kitnip did a simple but effective undersuit for her H4 build: http://www.405th.com/f21/kitnips-ha...stom-paint-scheme-undersuit-39650/index5.html

Using a foam undersuit (eva 3/8'' or craft foam) is also pretty common...so guess it depends what materials you're looking to work with.

That's definitely simple and effective, I like the buckle idea !
Everything, but the armour pieces, I'm open to using any materials. I figured foam would be best for the undersuit

Question for the ODSTs of this forum!
For my build, I decided to go with the Halo 4 ODST legs, and the rear piece had me wondering, what are the straps for exactly?
I've been thinking about it all day; does is have an actual function, or has it just always been there for no reason ?

5cplksBl.jpg(Because I couldn't find a in game picture on the web, I stole this image from Revenant1988 :p)

5cplksBl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Question for the ODSTs of this forum!
For my build, I decided to go with the Halo 4 ODST legs, and the rear piece had me wondering, what are the straps for exactly?
I've been thinking about it all day; does is have an actual function, or has it just always been there for no reason ?

View attachment 8443(Because I couldn't find a in game picture on the web, I stole this image from Revenant1988 :p)

It is a fanny pack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back