Spartan IV Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felipe06

Hello everyone!

I decided I'd put up a build thread where I'll post some actual progress.

What I am aiming for:
ugcuserfile-15013d86-0b6f-4ce4-9df8-681c300ed4ca-e977f111c604e340-full.jpg

Things I'm going to build:
- Halo 4 Mark V helmet (Incomplete)
- Halo 4 Recon chest (Incomplete)
- Halo 4 Rogue Shoulders (Incomplete)
- X-27 Shifting forearms (Incomplete)
- Halo 4 ODST legs (Incomplete)
- Undersuit (Incomplete)
- Battle Rifle (Incomplete)

- - - Updated - - -

Helmet Progress

Facebook-20150113-104238.jpg

Pep is done, but can't continue until winter is over :(

Chest Progress

Pep model in progress

Arms Progress

Legs Progress

Undersuit Progress

Battle Rifle Progress

So I was looking for undersuit bases and found these:

undersuit.PNG

Do you guys think these would be good for an undersuit build?
I want to sew thin foam to make the undersuit pattern over it, but I'm not sure if these would be best for this build.
So ya, think these would be good? If not, do you guys have alternate products for such a build ?

Links:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0097JATWE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AB7AISGELXWKM

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B009BL1ON6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AB7AISGELXWKM

Those seem like a good idea for an undersuit base - I was thinking of the same thing, except ones with straight black instead of the red lines and then mounting a yoga-mat/foam sort of material onto it with the detail pieces. I just wonder how the red lines would look with all of the armor done and on? They might be hidden, might if they aren't it might take away from the whole aesthetic? Something to think about :p

Also, the helmet looks really good so far! Following this thread and looking forward to more progress updates.

Haven't been able to do any progress in the past month, but this week I'm free and devoting all my time on this :D

I've decided to try out foam for this build (except the helmet) and I'm liking it!
However, I noticed my pieces aren't the cleanest and smooth of builds compared to others; I have glue everwhere and there's gaps in between pieces ....

So I was hoping if anyone could give suggestions on how to fix that ?

uploadfromtaptalk1424753504942.jpg

Those seem like a good idea for an undersuit base - I was thinking of the same thing, except ones with straight black instead of the red lines and then mounting a yoga-mat/foam sort of material onto it with the detail pieces. I just wonder how the red lines would look with all of the armor done and on? They might be hidden, might if they aren't it might take away from the whole aesthetic? Something to think about [emoji14]

Also, the helmet looks really good so far! Following this thread and looking forward to more progress updates.
Still debating whether to have the lines or not [emoji14]
Probably gonna go with plain black

Just finished the second thigh piece, came cleaner than my first one, but still has the same problem... Gaps in betweem pieces and doesn't have the "one piece" look to it

Any tips and suggestions are welcome [emoji14]

uploadfromtaptalk1424805775884.jpg

The trick is to cut the bevels as precisely as possible. Always keep your blade sharp. If in doubt, cut more of an angle than you think you have to because cutting a sharper angle and making it still look nice is near impossible. Having the angle too sharp is much less of a problem as you can just fill the gap on the inside with hot glue.

Finished the first gauntlet !
These are the only models that are gonna be made from scratch, as there doesn't seem to be any templates or pep models of these forearms

uploadfromtaptalk1424829618698.jpguploadfromtaptalk1424829636560.jpguploadfromtaptalk1424829648382.jpg

The trick is to cut the bevels as precisely as possible. Always keep your blade sharp. If in doubt, cut more of an angle than you think you have to because cutting a sharper angle and making it still look nice is near impossible. Having the angle too sharp is much less of a problem as you can just fill the gap on the inside with hot glue.

I'm using a hot knife to cut the foam and make the angles, but the thing doesn't cut very smoothly. Better than an exacto blade, but not good enough to make straight angled cuts :/

I'll try sharpening it, see how that goes

uploadfromtaptalk1424830074853.jpg

I know some people recommend hot knives but I think it is a bad idea. I know several people including me, EVAkura (the original suggester of this I think), and several others who use a scalpel handle and blades. They're great because they're cheap, the blades come in large packs, and they are very sharp. You'll want to get a

#3 handle $5: http://www.amazon.com/SCALPEL-HANDL...=1408933279&sr=8-1&keywords=#3+scalpel+handle
and
#11 blades (these come with a free handle but it's a crappy plastic one) - $10 for 100 pack: http://www.amazon.com/100-Scalpel-B...=1424830524&sr=8-2&keywords=scalpel+11+blades

Last edited by a moderator:
I know some people recommend hot knives but I think it is a bad idea. I know several people including me, EVAkura (the original suggester of this I think), and several others who use a scalpel handle and blades. They're great because they're cheap, the blades come in large packs, and they are very sharp. You'll want to get a

#3 handle $5: http://www.amazon.com/SCALPEL-HANDL...=1408933279&sr=8-1&keywords=#3+scalpel+handle
and
#11 blades (these come with a free handle but it's a crappy plastic one) - $10 for 100 pack: http://www.amazon.com/100-Scalpel-B...=1424830524&sr=8-2&keywords=scalpel+11+blades
I'll check that out for sure, but for now hot knife will have to do, I'm 100% free til Saturday and want to progress as much as possible [emoji14]

Thanks for replying bud !

Last edited by a moderator:
Final update for Day 2

Tomorrow's plan:
Finish other shin and forearm
Maybe start on recon chest

uploadfromtaptalk1424832585664.jpg

Quick update !
Decided to re-do the shins and thighs, improvements are showing!

uploadfromtaptalk1426440623204.jpg

Decided to go with the Mark V chest instead of Recon, couldn't resist partially suiting up [emoji14]

uploadfromtaptalk1428101369752.png

Long story short, my friend got motivated into doing an armor too, but we agreed we'd do a pair of Mark V armors (Red & Blue). So for now, I'm putting my Halo 4 Spartan build on hold, kinda. I'm still making a Spartan IV undersuit and doing the Halo 4 Mark V (slightly different from the Anniversary version). Anyway, here are my 90% done forearms, really glad on how they came out !
uploadfromtaptalk1430971639553.jpg

With Halo 5 coming soon, I thought putting my S-IV on hold would be a great idea, as Halo 5 might offer some better alternatives [emoji14]

QUICK FOAM QUESTION !

So I'm almost done with all the foam pieces, and I was wondering, do I put things like electronics, velcro and other details before or after the plasti-dip and paint part ?

Thanks in advance !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back