Halo ODST With a Twist- Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSilent0n3

Hello all,

First off I just wanted to say that this is a completed build, but I will be posting my steps in instalments. I originally wasn't going to post here, but you guys are all so awesome, and the tutorials helped me out so much I thought it was the least I could do.

image.jpg

This is my first build. But I learned a lot.

I had a few problems (as a lot of people do I'm sure) but I hope that by posting my struggles I can keep someone from making the same mistakes I did, or at the very least help them to overcome them.

image.jpg

This is the completed Pepakura build. It is a mixture of a few different blueprints, but most of the credit does go to Hugh.

Tip
Make sure to get the correct measurements for everything right off the bat, and if you are fiberglassing the Pep make sure that when you fit the paper you leave enough room for that extra component. It's better to have a piece that is a little too big than a little too small. You can always pad your armour.

More pics coming soon.

Hope this helps people!
Enjoy!

Re: Halo ODST With a Twist

dem hugh files doe, life savers amiright

Pep work looks great, look forward to future installments :thumbsup

After I completed the Pep, I hardened the armour with fiberglass and auto body filler to work out the details.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tip
Make sure to plan out a timeline for yourself, and think in advance what the weather would be like... My biggest problem was that I started doing Pep in the summer, and didn't realize how long it would take to build everything. By the time I got to the resin and fiberglass step, it was fall and the -30 degree Celsius winter and ice storm were on their way. You can only sand so long before your arms go numb.

Another tip for you, make sure to go slowly, and make sure your armour has supports. It can easily warp out of shape, and that means more work for you in the long run.

What's the twist by the way?
I wanted to do a version of Gunnery Sgt Buck A) because ODST is my favourite game B) Because Nathan Fillion is awesome. So I thought, what would happen if you combine 2 of his characters? (P.s. I'm currently working on a third)

More updates to come.

Hey bud the build is looking good so far but you should check out my ODST file thread for better gauntlets. I think the link is working again. Keep it up. ODSTs are awesome.

I love 'dem scratch builds! I've been working on an ODST from Hugh's files for about 10 months, if you post more pics maybe it will inspire me to finish! ;)

I decided I was going to sculpt, cast and mold the helmet because I was going to make a few.

image.jpg

I ended up using NSP non-sulfur based clay and dragon skin silicone. Don't trust NSP. I thought that NSP would be fine, and it's used very very often, but the company that makes NSP makes sulfur and non-sulfur based clay in the same factory and the clay I got was contaminated. I used an acrylic spray as well to be safe, but dragon skin is a platinum cure silicone and it reacts with even the smallest contamination.

image.jpg

I didn't know this until I removed the clay seam, but at this point I was too far in to back track. I continued, did both sides and the shell, and when I went to de-mold unfortunately the helmet I had sculpted shattered into 20 pieces when I tried to remove it. The reason I didn't notice was that the only thing that happened to the silicone was that the print layer had some residue. Unfortunately I tried everything from alcohol to baby powder and silicone thinner and nothing worked. The only way I could fix it was to sabotage myself by coating the inside with a thin layer of silicone. This worked but it got rid of all the detail and made a mess of some areas.

The raw cast is on the right, the left is after a lot of work trying to fix my mistake

image.jpg

More to come

Please tell me you are taking his character off of firefly lol.
Ewww sorry to hear about your mold buddy :-(

As much as I like Fillion's characters from Castle and Firefly, I think an ODST version of Captain Hammer would be amazing

Next little update for you. I originally did the chest core as fiberglass, but in the end moved to foam. The foam was cut, glued, sprayed with a spray rubber and painted. I will recommend this. It allows for a lot more flexibility.

image.jpg

Next update, is painting!

Tip
I did forget to mention this, but when working with Bondo, I know everyone says it, but I can't stress it enough... Make sure that you work in a small area at a time. If you try to cover a large area you'll just end up kicking yourself, because you'll either make stupid mistakes that will take a long time to fix, or you'll just end up wasting a lot.

Also, something that helped me a lot was doing things in shifts. So, when you have time to work, make sure to set aside a few hours, then do a bit of Bondo at a time on a few pieces, then once you finish mixing and adding Bondo to each piece individually if you go back to the first peice, it should be dried enough to take an exacto knife to do some rough cleaning. Once all that is done, start at the beginning again and start sanding.

I guess the main message I'm trying to get through is to manage your time. In theory you should never be waiting for something to cure or dry. Because in the end, that's just wasted time.

Ok, so the pictures aren't that great, but they'll do for now. I'll post pictures of the finished suit soon.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tip
The key I've found is to make sure the armour isn't flat. Use various shades where possible to give your armour some personality. For me I wanted to have armour that had been battle damaged. I used at least two shades of every colour including 2 shades of the silver.

Ok, here are some finished pics for you.

If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will answer all.

Right now I'm working on another suit, I just need the temperature to warm up a bit. But when it's done I'll be sure to post!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

That's awesome, dude! I love the Castle reference (big fan of that show), lol.

Perfect combination of two of my favourite things right there. Well done, sir! :D

That's awesome, dude! I love the Castle reference (big fan of that show), lol.

Perfect combination of two of my favourite things right there. Well done, sir! :D

Thank you sir! Castle is a favourite show of mine, definitely not your usual cop drama!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back