Destiny Warlock - Pepakura Tengu Operant Helmet Build (Via Ghost Bear's file) [pics]

Status
Not open for further replies.

yamadojo

Long time reader, first time posting.
I realize my first post isn't halo related, but I got my files off this site originally.

http://www.405th.com/f43/destiny-warlock-helmet-pepakura-file-41579/?highlight=ghost+bear

I came across Ghost Bear's modeling of the Tengu Operant Helmet from Destiny so I figured i'd try to use this as my first ever build and shot at Pepakura. This model to note is missing a lot of the surface detail and the horn that was all assembled but just turned out horrible and I never pursued it further. But it still looks great without it!

The paint scheme is unique to this helmet as I just added two gold stripes on the top that is not seen in any model that i've come across in Destiny. Lastly, this color scheme is very similar to the 18327496-6703388 shader

The process i went through involved first getting the file printed out on 110lb card stock and assembling.
(Partial assembly seen below)
20141020_192312.jpg
And then the final product
20141021_011746.jpg

Helmet Structure: (Bondo/Rondo)
After this, the helmet was coated with specifically Bondo Fiberglass resin. (this made my entire house smell quite bad even with the garage door open...)
No pictures were taken at this stage.

The helmet was then rotocasted using the rondo mix everyone seems to love on this forum. My ratio was about 1 to 1 bondo autobody filler and bondo fiberglass resin. (This also made my house smell horrible)

After everything was hardened and cured, I then started to apply the first layers of bondo onto the helmet. I first started using the bondo non-stick applicators then realized it got laid on way too thick and made the sanding part wayyyy to tedious.

Sanding...:

After the first coat of bondo, the sanding process started. I believe i sanded and recoated for about 20-30 hours which SUCKED!
The best tip i learned was to just use little pieces of plastic and apply little by little onto the entire helmet.

After i said "screw it, it's good". I then went ahead and started to prime the piece. I used an automotive primer I found at walmart and I think i just got a bad can (cost me about $5) but it worked.

After priming, I sanded again and went through the sanding process again to remove all the high spots.

Painting:
Painting my project involved using 4 paints
1 - flat black automotive primer (the name escapes me sorry)
1 - Crylon metalic silver (The Rustoleum just wasn't shiny enough)
1 - Rustoleum Metallic Blue
1 - Rustoleum Crystal Clear Enamal
1 - Rustoleum Metalic Gold

The layers went as the following: using dust coats and heavier coats on the later coats
2-3 layers of Primer
3-4 layers of Silver
3-4 layers of clear coat
2-3 layers of Blue
Taped off the blue and then sprayed the detail (I realized this was a bad idea after I had already done it)
5 layers of Metalic Gold
3-4 layers of clear coat

20141112_235857.jpg20141112_235712.jpg
This is the helmet after the silver and clear coat had been applied.

Weathering:
To weather this, i used crest toothpaste and applied it to the really bad spots of my helmet that didn't sand down too well to make it "battle damage" because after 30 hours of sanding you really don't wanna do it anymore. You can see the silver portions sticking out of the paint in the photo below.
20141223_004129.jpg

The process of the toothpaste went like this. After the silver coat and clear coat, I applied the paste where I wanted the damage to show. I then sprayed the entire thing with the base coat, which was blue, and continued to spray more coats over it till I was finished. Once the gold and the blue was applied, i then took some 400 grit sand paper and when wet sanding, scraped all the paint off the pasted areas to reveal the "metal" damage.

In my opinion, the silver sticks out too much and I may need to airbrush the thing black, or blackwash it so that'll be a later thing.

Finishing Touches
To make the paint shine, I used the following in order on the clear coat:
400 grit sand paper
800 grid sand paper
1000 grit sand paper
2000 grit sand paper

All sanding was done through wet sanding by running water over my piece and sanding it. After it was dried, it did have a rough dull finish to it.

After it felt smooth to the touch, I used turtle wax polishing compound to get the fine scratches out from the piece. This helped put a very nice shine to the helmet.

Lastly, I finished it off with Hard Shell Turtle Wax.
WARNING: If your helmet has very small pinholes, turtle wax is a very bad idea because it tends to get into the holes and is just impossible to get out. It makes the paint look spotted and you can't do much to fix it or even clean it out easily.

Interior:
The inside of the helmet to make it wearable I used a combination of velcro, and a motorcycle helmet liner.
The velcro can be purchased from walmart (the adhesive stuff), and the motorcycle helmet liner I purchased was

HJC CL-16 Helmet Liner
Color- Grey, Size- Large
SKU#412488

Visor:
The visor is a little makeshift in my opinion. I just selected a black fabric that I could see through "enough" and then applied it to the visor portion. My visibility is very poor overall, but it seems to work as a prop very well. Later my goal is to use a reflective black window tint on some polycarb, and secure that to the visor. The benefit of this fabric is that I can breath, the polycarb might make breathing a bit more difficult.

So i hope you enjoyed it, and here is my final result. More pictures to come after I get home from school.

Last note: I only have the helmet and nothing else for a complete costume. I do have a destiny t-shirt though :)
FB_IMG_1420599721070.jpg

20141112_235712.jpg

20141112_235857.jpg

FB_IMG_1420599721070.jpg

20141223_004129.jpg

20141020_192312.jpg

20141021_011746.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back