First Pep Build: Skyrim Dwarvin Armor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan0198

So I decided that I wanted to make a set of armor to wear at this year's Dragoncon. I tried making some Spartan armor from Halo 4 using the eva foam method and it didn't turn out as nice as I wanted. So, I Googled cosplay and the 405th came up. After making an account, I found the pep files for the Dwarvin armor created by Rundown (I would like to thank him for all the files he put into the achrive. I would still be looking for them if not for him!) and instantly wanted to try this out. Never tried it before and I gotta say, it may be more time consuming than foam, but it is so easy to create things.

After getting the Pepakura Designer I started collecting the files, I have crappy satellite internet so downloading them took a million attempts. But once I had them I started with the helmet. Now, I am a pretty artsy type person and I love creating things, but I'm also a broke college student so I made the helmet with regular printer paper backed with metal duct-work tape but everything else will be made from 110lb cardstock. It sounds crappy but I used what I had since my money was tight. Anyway, the project has come pretty far in the last few weeks. I have made the helmet, chest piece, and the waist pieces and fiber glassed the outside. As soon as I get more resin, I'll be able to finish the inside and get it ready for bondo. I work in my dad's body shop so I'm pretty set with the shaping, sanding and cosmetic portion of this stuff.

I have a few pics I'm gonna post. Nothing fancy yet since sending them to my email takes 10 years(seriously, living in the mountains of NC means I have horrible signal and crappy internet.) So when I get more done I will be sure to get them on here for everyone to see. I decided to create this armor because of a few reasons: 1 being the armor looks so freakin awesome 2. I've never seen anyone make a super game accurate set of this armor and 3. It looked difficult and I like a good challenge. No better way to do something than to just try and see what happens.

I will post tons of pics of the bondo work. I plan on resining a few thin coats on the outside and then doing all the detail work with bondo. I'll be using old body working tools along side my trusty dremel tool and orbital sander. Once its done, I'll use epoxy primer followed by car paint, since I have it readily available. Once I have the base gold color sprayed out, I'll airbrush all the weathering effects onto it and seal it all up with some matte clear coat. I've planned this all out over the course of the last month. I hope it won't be too hard to do but I think the main thing will be just cutting and folding all the pieces. It's very boring and takes so long. Thanks for reading my super long post and I'll be sure to add updates every few days!

I'm not too tech savvy so I hope this post is in the right place haha.

Attachments

• IMG_1569.jpg
    IMG_1569.jpg
    860 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_3326.jpg
    IMG_3326.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 384
UPDATE! So I have been pretty busy with other things, mainly trying to find a job, but I just got internet and I can finally upload pics so I will be posting a few tomorrow. I resined the hip pieces and started building the shoulder pieces. But I got the scaling wrong, really wrong. The top piece barely fits over my shoulder. It's supposed to be about 16 inches in length, including the curve, and somehow I measured wrong or something because it's like 8 inches in total. It really sucks because it took me like 3 days to cut out all of the pieces, which I now have to do again. -__- But I plan on glassing the inside of the torso piece and starting the bondo process. It looks really cool as it is. The pep shapes make it seem like a cool steel plate armor or something. Anyway, be prepared for some detailed pics tomorrow:D

Hey guys, sorry about the lack of pics that were promised. I've been so busy helping my family that I haven't had time to even work on anything. I'm just gonna have to wait until it gets a bit warmer out. This trying to work in my garage when it's 10 degrees out is killing me. I'll try my best to work on this stuff soon.

ALRIGHTY THEN!!! Update time! I finally found the time to start working on the torso piece again. As of right now, I'm letting the first coat of bondo dry. It's looking pretty good for not really doing much. I've got two pics to post. One of the piece that has just resin and the other has some bondo. Now, I got to thinking. I got the scaling right-ish. The torso fits well once its on but the bottom at the waist and the top where the neck comes through don't fit too great. They're snug. So snug that i can't fit my big head through and my waist barely fits. Now, I'm a chubby guy but I think the best way for me to fix this, is by cutting some of he pieces off and making it an articulated piece. Using straps underneath the armor, I think I can make it fit better and be a heck of a lot more comfortable to wear, as I would like to be able to bend over if need be.

Like I said before, I have never seen anyone make this armor except two people that had pics on google. I'll give credit where it's due because their suits looked good, but to me, they weren't accurate to the game. I plan on making my suit as accurate as possible. It's gonna take a lot of time, patience(which I have l little of) and it ain't gonna be easy. But someone has to do it cause this is armor is bad A.

Attachments

• IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    951.9 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_3326.jpg
    IMG_3326.jpg
    817.6 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_9517.jpg
    IMG_9517.jpg
    852.7 KB · Views: 334
Status
Not open for further replies.