First mjolnir powered armour Mk VI build

Status
Not open for further replies.

rorywatts

This is my first build, so i don't know how well it will go. I am using Master Builder's pepakura files (here's the link; http://www.405th.com/mjolnir-powere...aster-chief-armor-complete-set-reference.html ) all credit for files goes to him and i am extremely grateful for his effort in making them. I will post pictures of the build as i go but at the moment i have any just started so nothing to show yet.

I was also wondering what type of glue people use and find the best.

I use Locitite Super Glue Precision Max, it's great and easy and bonds in seconds! it's great for all the tabs. i'd reccomed it it's £3 for 10g and you can get a lot done with just that!

I use hot glue as well, its cheaper and faster to use. if you decide to use a hot glue gun, get the LOW HEAT MINI

i use hot glue too, down side to super glue has a fast dry time, and you cant undo it like hot glue

You can undo an area you glued on. You place the hot glue gun in the area and let the glue melt a little bit as you carefully peel the tabs

I prefer using normal tacky glue its great for all general usage and easy to get off of yourself when it dries

If you plan to smooth your edges down after hardening I don't think you'll be wanting to use hot glue. If you sand down enough to where it's exposed you'll have a gummy mess that won't finish the same as the other surfaces where there's no glue. Regular white glue sets up pretty quick, gives you time for positioning edges before setting up, and won't cause you grief later during finishing.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm hoping that because of the hd file I won't have to sand the edges too much so I think I'm going to use hot glue as it will allow me to correct mistakes.

I know it's a long way off but I had a question about bondoing. I've seen some builds completely covered in bondo and some just over patches. I was wondering what everyone else does and what works best for them?

Rory

I know it's a long way off but I had a question about bondoing. I've seen some builds completely covered in bondo and some just over patches. I was wondering what everyone else does and what works best for them?

Depends on whether you want to preserve your pep details during finishing or if you want it looking like it was made from Play-doh. The more filler you apply, the more sanding you'll need to do. Localizing it only to the areas which need it will help with visualizing the target shape as you're working.

Hey! Thanks for using my files!

I use hot glue as well.

I would HIGHLY recommend trying to cover everything in bondo. It's also what these files were intended for (what I had in mind when modeling). Form my own experience, you don't want any paper poking through. Cut it back if needed and rebuild on top. You don't want to mess with the paper fraying (huge pain when trying to sand perfictaly, and not having it show in the paint).

Now there are probably a few areas that you will need to cut some paper away, I would recommend building up the back side first (pack it in there good). Then whip out your Dremel/rotary tool and cut away MORE material than needed. Then build back up. This will insure that the paper won't interfere latter on and will allow you to modify it freely.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing some progress!

Hey Rory, i'm planning on doing the same build myself!
I got all my pep files from the 4share database though.
Are you doing a HD build?
My friend said he uses pritstick...not sure how effective that is though

I don't know how well the pritstick would hold, also i think its soluble so may come apart when resining. Yeah the files are in the first post if you want a look. I did have a look at some from 4share but they were unfolded more complicatedly than Master Builder's so i decided to use his.
Looking for to seeing your progress.

I agree with you on the pritstick, going to have a look for "elmos glue" or something similar as i'm not sure if its sold in the UK?
The last thing I want is to see it fall apart in my hands when applying resin :O
Also, I have just seen (and now downloaded) some Ultra High Definition mark VI files!! Thanks to RobotChicken and SirPalesAlot for doing these. there not all there yet, but theres PLENTY for me to be trying at for now XD
So I'm going to attempt an UHD for my first attempt at pepakura.....this will be interesting!

Also you have any picks on your progress?

None worth posting so far.

Robot Chicken build looks amazing, i don't know how much patience i would have for a UHD build!
Looking forward to seeing yours in the future.

First tiny update. Just one picture. image.jpg

wow man, that's a lot of paper floating about! hope you don't loose any :p
i see your starting with he lid too, good call

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back