Southwest Logo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Termhn

Hey guys, after the conversation in the other thread, here is one of the ideas that I immediately had and decided to put together. I'm not entirely happy with it yet but I think it looks decent enough to get the idea across/see what you guys think. If anyone has ideas please feel free to throw them out there, whether related to this design or completely separate.

southwest_v1.png

If you look at the pacific regiment banner, it is easily recognizable as 405th and yet something different. I wonder if we could pull something like that off. Maybe use this color theme, and a mountain range at the bottom, but work it into a stylized banner.

Something stylized, that could be digitized into pieces for people to make stencils out of would be best. Maybe a simple, stereotypical range along the bottom, a simplified 405th icon (as permitted in the icon briefing), a regiment scroll like you have, and some lines/rays behind it all reminiscent of the Arizona and New Mexico flags? Not sure how to work in the OK and TX flags into that, but it definitely conveys desert.

Alright here's the next evolution. I'll try adding the sun rays behind but I feel like it will be too busy.
southwest_v2.png

Alright I cleaned it up a bit and modified a few things... two versions, one with a sun setting and one without, not sure which I like more. Also not sure if I like the little 405th on the bottom or not. Thoughts?

southwest_v4_nosun.png

southwest_v4_sun.png

I vote without the sun disc. And I would like the "405th" but maybe without the box around it- just raise all the elements to keep the "405th" above the cutout, or lower the cutout. Otherwise, DAMN! Thats looking pretty sharp. Really digging it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then again, i could be convinced to keep the "405th" in a box. Anyone else feel free to chime in and vote against me here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks :) I posted it on Facebook and everyone over there pretty much agreed that they liked the sun in it so I think I'll keep that. I also changed the shape of it, what do you think about this? Here's one with 405th in the box and one out of it. I think I like it more in the box personally.

southwest_v6_box.png
southwest_v6_nobox.png

My input on the second one to make it a fair fight against the first one:
1. Slide the main emblem up closer to the top (but not past the mountains).
2. Turn the "405th" into "405th INFANTRY DIVISION" like you had on the very first post in this thread, but between that size and the current size.
3. Remove the orange box and turn the cutout into a normal triangle.
4. I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks of the side and top notches. I'm on the fence.

Alright here's the new no box version. I also think I like it more with no notch on top but I do like the side ones.
southwest_v7_nobox.png
southwest_v7_box.png

Looking at the Pacific banner, they have an internal logo on a bigger, rectangular banner with the "405th" outside the logo. So maybe we can mimic that, like so:
uploadfromtaptalk1424396972937.jpg

Behold my PowerPoint skills. [emoji6] Maybe this way we can make the "SOUTHWEST" banner span over the logo; just a thought. And the colors are completely negotiable too.

Hey guys, I'll see what I can do in order to present us a logo coming from another direction.
Not that what you guys have is bad, but it's always good to take two separate ideas, take what is good and bad from them, and maybe come up with one that has the best from both.

So far what I have seen are designs that would look great on a T-Shirt, seriously, I'd buy it, but it is not something that would be clear when reduced into an icon that's like 64x64px or so.

EDIT: The current works would make for a great banner or a flag at a convention, but we do need something that would look good next to our names here on the forums as well as a simple design to be placed on our armor.

Well, according to the 405th branding conventions, the logo isn't to be compressed to below 200px or 2 in (whichever is smaller) on a side anyway. We can definitely make a simplified one for a forum badge or something of that sort, though.

I had been working on something when we were originally planning a Texas regiment that focused specifically on our state. As such a broad region, have we considered a common theme central-icon with our state shape as the background/border?

I enjoy the color schemes of the above works, and the color could also be a unifying theme of a state-specific chunk? I'll do some sketches some time today to try and be more specific.

I don't think any state should have its border as a background of our icon. I also don't think each state should have its own section, the logo should be a unifying thing that incorporates aspects of each into it but not divided into regions. I did try to incorporate aspects from the flags of each state into the logo. The sunset is seen in the Arizona flag and the color scheme is based quite heavily on the New Mexico flag. The little detail things on each side of the logo are both similar to the 405th logo and reminiscent of the feathers and leaf on the Oklahoma flag. The stars are both part of the 405th look as well as represent the star on the Texas flag... I was thinking about possibly using just one star since Texas is often called the Lone Star state based on the single star on its flag.

What about tornadoes?
...or lightning bolts?

Oh, I got it, what about just a blank square as the entire logo?
To represent the flat nothingness of the Southwest.

...or maybe a big giant cross to represent all the hate in the Southwest?
:unsure

EDIT: On a more serious note, I've been trying to find symbols of the Southwest, and well... check this out:
http://www.okhistory.org/kids/45nationalguard.php

I would like to officially nominate a symbol based on an American Indian Thunderbird symbol.

UPDATE: It would seem as though a Thunderbird can appear with its wings folded downward, or outward, but not diagonally downward/curved down, as that is the symbol for an eagle. (Traditionally anyways, don't look at the military, they tend to use eagles with their wings spread wide)
In the end, I think the goal should be to avoid making the Thunderbird so that it could be confused as an eagle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back