Wanted: Tutorial Writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chernobyl

Sr Member
Spartans, Troopers, Marines - good morning, afternoon, or evening (depending on when you read this announcement).

Have you ever wanted to contribute to the Community in more ways than simply posting and displaying your builds? Have you ever considered doing work that will help other members grow and improve both their skills and their builds?

If so, then you may be exactly what the 405th needs right now!

We're currently looking for members with a talent for helping others, to help put together a series of tutorials for other users to reference when learning how to put together their builds. These tutorials will be compiled into downloadable PDF formats, for users to read on the go or to flick through at their leisure.

As much as I'd like to accept all submissions, tutorials will need to be thoroughly vetted first to ensure their integrity and validity. I'm therefore limiting positions for this venture and taking applications for those positions to ensure that the applicants are up to the task. These positions are not first-come, first-served - I will be selecting team members based on their talent and ability. Applicants for the positions will need to have the following:

• One COMPLETE (OR 70% complete) build of HIGH QUALITY. In the case of non-physical tutorials (Pepakura/modelling tutorials), users must show full and complete understanding of the program they're writing for.
  • HIGH QUALITY images of their build through each stage of construction. These images will be used to provide a visual reference for those following the tutorial - I will allow writers to obtain images from other builds assuming they gain permission for the use of those images first.
  • DECENT GRAMMAR. Tutorials will be spell-checked, but a good grasp of the English language is critical - I shall be asking for translators into other languages at another time.
  • Time and dedication. These are critical - I don't want to have to chase writers up for their work.
  • Good communication. I need to be able to reach team members to deliver critique and alterations if needed.

If you fit the above criteria, then congratulations! Feel free to submit an application for this project. Currently I'm looking for users to complete tutorials in the following major areas:

• How To Use Pepakura (downloading/scaling) TAKEN BY Master Builder!
  • How to Assemble Pepakura Forms (cutting/scoring/gluing) TAKEN BY Frozensnot!
  • How To Harden/Smooth Pepakura Builds (resin/fibreglass/bondo)
  • How To Assemble Foam Builds (templates/cutting/gluing)

Applicants should select one of the above tutorials, and PM me with the following application:

• Desired position
  • A link to your build thread (again, images are essential!)
  • A short paragraph or so explaining your skills, and why you're suitable for the position. This is important - I want to know what qualities you have that tell me I should select you for this position! Be honest, but don't be afraid to brag! Likewise - I don't need to know your life history! Keep it simple, keep it brief, try not to over-sell it to me.
Successful applicants will be entered into the 'DIDACT' member group, with a nameplate to match. However, privileges can be stripped as well as given - again, I'm looking for members with dedication and drive to get the job done. Please don't apply simply to gain a nameplate, That said, I look forward to seeing applications soon! Good luck!

staff-didact-1.png

staff-didact-2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if it would be better to post the information here or if it would be better over in "Announcement: 405th Tutorials - Now Online!"

I've made a few things so far, but some of them are probably better suited as remaining as threads rather than getting the PDF treatment.

It was mentioned that trying to cover all the options for supplies regardless of the region you are in is difficult.
While this is true, it is only true for a single individual. This is where forum responses can benefit a guide; you can gather options from several people, and just have a single individual edit all the items into a single list.

I have been trying to do this for 2 threads, though I definitely wish they were getting more attention.
First is:
[FOAM] [GUIDE] List of Options for Supplies, Tools, and Methods Used for Foam Builds
I've been trying to gather all the options not only for the foam itself, but also the tools and supplies people often use at every stage when it comes to foam builds.
The list isn't perfect, I really hope to see more responses in the future of some more options that people are using.
I was also hoping that it would serve as a good location for people to notify others of sales going on, but maybe that will also happen more in the future.
On top of that, I've been working to collect all the related videos, tutorials, and exceptional builds that make use of foam in their build, and provide links to them so that others can find good examples of what others are doing and how they are doing it.

Second is:
Resource Thread - Gloves, Boots, Compression Shirts & Pants, and More
This is one I've created recently and it hasn't really received any attention.
The 405th does a GREAT job at covering everything that we make for our costumes, but what we've been lacking is the fact that sometimes there inevitably are the things we end up buying for our builds, and we haven't been drawing much attention to these kinds of things in our build threads, which is something I hope we can work on.
These kinds of things are not something we all think about until we put our armor on and think to ourselves.... "dang, this doesn't work that well with jeans."
Also, someone has to say it.... OMG please wear something to cover your neck!!!

Those are my two "Guides", I do however have a Tutorial I put up on the 405th.
The tutorial has nothing to do with armor...
For the cosplayers who want to expand on their builds by adding details about their character, I thought it would be cool to create a Bio card like 343 released for each member of Fireteam Majestic for Halo 4. I made one for myself, and when I finish my build and go to conventions, I'll probably have the Bio card printed out and I'll carry it on my person so that people can learn about my character. On the back, I will likely have a link to the 405th, as well as a link to my build thread and a QR Code that will take you to my build thread.
Here is the tutorial:
[TUTORIAL] Personalized Halo 4 UNSC Bio Cards (Image Editing)

I suppose I wouldn't mind if the tutorial ended up in the Archive, I'm just not exactly sure how you would package the extra files with it (the template file and the fonts)... maybe the whole thing could be put into a .Zip folder.

Despite all of this, probably the most significant contribution I've made so far to the 405th, was back when Halo Reach came out. I was one of few who was providing screenshots of all the armor variants that was in the game.
I had the advantage of being someone who had access to an offline profile that was an Inheritor in rank (which means everything was unlocked).
I still have a few members approach me saying that I really helped them by providing those images so early on. It's exciting! :)
But a while back I ended up having to take leave from the 405th to focus on school, and while I know that even though we have a wonderful archive full of just about every kind of file for Reach, I wanted to go back and mention what my process was for bringing the images to everyone here at the 405th, despite the fact that I don't have a screen capture card or whatever for my TV.
You can find that process here:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=28023&page=5&p=701493&viewfull=1#post701493
At some point I need to go back in and describe how to get the 360 degree view video for your player model, but everything else is in that post.
That post may serve to be useful as a guide once Halo 5 comes out... before we all have access to the models.
I personally don't have an Xbox One yet, so I sadly won't be able to provide screenshots.

Upvote 0
-SNIP!- Foam builds!

We're in need of a decent foam guide, I've been hoping that one of our more experienced foam builders ( EVAkura LilTyrant) might take up the challenge at some point. The reason I've put in the requirement for tutorial writers to have experience with the guides they're writing. Parts and tools is only a small portion of the effort needed to be put in.

I was also hoping that it would serve as a good location for people to notify others of sales going on, but maybe that will also happen more in the future.

This is more of a regional thing that would be better kept in Regimental threads. It's all well and good saying 'Halfords are having a sale on fibreglass resin kits!' when the rest of the world don't get the benefit of being served by said store.

On top of that, I've been working to collect all the related videos, tutorials, and exceptional builds that make use of foam in their build, and provide links to them so that others can find good examples of what others are doing and how they are doing it.

These are definitely good resources that could be referenced in an appendix for the relevant tutorial.

-SNIP!- Resources!

A good idea, to be certain - the next wave of tutorials will likely have the potential for a 'soft armour' tutorial, but unfortunately, that's a resource the 405th doesn't seem to handle too well. A shopping list of generic items could function within said tutorial, though, and it's certainly something we need to consider if we're going to be generating a set of 'start to finish' resources.

-SNIP!- Bio cards!

Certainly a good idea, but I'm not entirely sure that it's a subject with enough focus and attention to warrant a full tutorial. That said, I'd certainly consider it as an extra thing to add, if and when we have the main build tutorials online. It would be easy to package the required resources in with the tutorial, if the time came.

-SNIP!- Screenshots!

Again - a decent idea, not sure that it warrants a full tutorial. Screenshots as a resource will definitely be making a return, but I can't see a justification for having a tutorial in the Archive dedicated towards the subject.

Upvote 0
This is a little bit of a thread resurrection, I know, but since all of my primary duties on the 405th are cleared (Archive organisation, asset uploading, etc), I'd like to make another push to get some of the Sticky threads cleared up and moved off of the forum into the Tutorials Archive. If there are any takers for volunteers I'd be grateful.

Upvote 0
-SNIP- If there are any takers for volunteers I'd be grateful.

I know I sent a message way back when about this but While I don't feel I have the required material for any Suit tutorials I would be able to make tutorials on making Foam (polystyrene/EVA) prop weapons, I will also have the time to write and do an in depth tutorial over the summer.

I you still are not worried about that quite yet no problems. Just letting you know that I am still around.

Upvote 0
I know I sent a message way back when about this but While I don't feel I have the required material for any Suit tutorials I would be able to make tutorials on making Foam (polystyrene/EVA) prop weapons, I will also have the time to write and do an in depth tutorial over the summer.

I you still are not worried about that quite yet no problems. Just letting you know that I am still around.

This is less about writing fresh material, and more about being able to consolidate existing material into a coherent tutorial. We have a few forums that are absolutely clogged with Sticky threads at the top of the page, and if we can clear those out and consolidate the information into an easily-read format we can direct members to, it'll be a huge help - plus there's the bonus of not having to scroll past ten or fifteen threads just to get to the top of the current, updated build threads.

We'll see how things go regarding creating new content, though - that's certainly still on the cards, and I wouldn't be against people referencing work on the forum to create these tutorials - assuming that credit is given and work is referenced properly. Think of it as an exercise in decent journalism.

Upvote 0
I don't have a suit yet myself, but I have some knowledge in weathering with paint. I repainted a boom co pistol, and gave advice to one of my friends who is making a set of Destiny Hunter Armor.

I also have some the process steps from my pistol when I painted it for some visual aid. I could also even get another one and do a video tutorial on it.

Upvote 0
And you know me.....Anything that has to do w/ Foam Board.....I'll be more than welcome to throw my effort in to.......

Upvote 0
I don't know if it would be helpful here or not, but I'll be doing tutorials for easy visor and painting/weathering, maybe more.
I plan to do these both as video and here written + photos.

Chernobyl - Also, I've seen Frozenshot actually has completed his Pepakura Assembly tutorial a long time ago... Why didn't he get the "DIDACT" nameplate? I mean, since he applied for the position, got accepted and finished the tutorial?

Upvote 0
I don't know if it would be helpful here or not, but I'll be doing tutorials for easy visor and painting/weathering, maybe more.
I plan to do these both as video and here written + photos.

That would be helpful.

- Also, I've seen Frozenshot actually has completed his Pepakura Assembly tutorial a long time ago... Why didn't he get the "DIDACT" nameplate? I mean, since he applied for the position, got accepted and finished the tutorial?

User groups are difficult to set up and we already have a great deal of them knocking about already - as much as I'd have liked to follow through with a visual reward for contributing via name plates, I'm forced to look for alternative rewards instead. Bear in mind that the 405th as a chartered group is still in its infancy, we don't have full usergroups set up for deployed members and such - setting up minor groups is a lower priority at the moment.

Upvote 0
User groups are difficult to set up and we already have a great deal of them knocking about already - as much as I'd have liked to follow through with a visual reward for contributing via name plates, I'm forced to look for alternative rewards instead. Bear in mind that the 405th as a chartered group is still in its infancy, we don't have full usergroups set up for deployed members and such - setting up minor groups is a lower priority at the moment.

Thanks for the reply, I was just curious. :D
I didn't know it was so complicated to make it all. :(

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.