Updates for the 405th in 2015! ALL PLEASE READ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Andrews

Community Owner
Community Staff
2015 is set to be an incredible year for the 405th. As many of you know, we stepped into some very big shoes in July of 2014 and it has taken us a while to get our bearings, but we are now ready to move forward with two major projects this year:

1) 405th Club implementation
2) Transition to a modern software platform

While the second task is mostly a behind-the-scenes thing, finally solidifying the club aspect of this community and getting it off the ground will involve all of us!

For those who haven’t looked over it, you can review the basic tenants and layout of the club here:

http://www.405th.com/faq.php?faq=405th_costuming_club

With this in mind, we are making our first Division Staff appointment:

405th member, FANGS has graciously accepted the position of DXO, which means she will serve the community as the acting President and will preside over the staff. For those who may not know FANGS (Angela), she has been a long time member of the 501st and has served in some of the highest offices of that club, which has provided her with a lot of experience in this area. While I will continue to manage the technical aspects of the community (the server/software side), Angela will be replacing me as the primary point of contact for all the day to day issues, questions and concerns.

Both Ashuraa and Masterchief0624 have also stepped up to help us get the club up and running; to get Regiments formalized and get memberships approved which is going to be a tremendous task!

So, what are the next steps? Ashuraa and Masterchief0624 will be reaching out to the current moderators of each of our regiments to get the regiments officially recognized. Once that is done, we will begin the process of electing a Regiment CO. Finally, we will begin taking applications for “Deployed” status membership. It is going to be a little tricky this first time, but we are pretty excited to get it off the ground and to finally get things going!

Last edited:
Thank you, Art!

We're going to try and get a lot done in a short period of time so I fully expect there to be trip ups and mistakes. But rest assured, we will get this all off the ground and resolve any issues that we come across. Ashurra and Masterchief0624 are already doing an amazing job of getting in contact with people to start things off so we are definitely on the right track.

Please make sure to let me know if you have any concerns or questions, even if the question is who the heck are you! I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as I can. And we'll also do our best to keep you updated on where we are at in the process.

Upvote 0
That's what we're hoping for, Fearless Son!

Upvote 0
Hey everyone,
I’m James, I’m a part of the Pacific Regiment of the 405th. I wanted to thank Art and the others for showing an interest in our community as I personally think it need a bit of attention and some updating and organization. I’m sure all of us here are excited to see what else we can come up with to make this place easier to navigate , help each other, and share our projects. This is a very open community, for the most part we are free to mix/match any halo costumes to make & create combos of armor. That being said, after reading through the Costuming Member’s section of the FAQ, I am poised with some concerns. I will list mine here.

• Tier 1 - Apprentice Costumer: is limited membership open to persons who own a costume that meets the first level with regard to the standards of accuracy, completeness, and quality of construction as required by the 405th.
• Tier 2 – Hero Costumer
• Tier 3 - Legend Costumer:
-These Tiers present a concern. This seems very familiar to some of the rules applied over at the 501st. And as I’ve always understood it that’s a direction we did NOT want to go. We simply want people to be able to look at us and go, “Yep-that’s Halo armor” without comparing it to any kind of code. We all know that there are better prop makers on here than others. And so far the only wall of distinction has been having your work posed in the ‘Pro’ section, or by word of community mouth. So why should we have to measure the ‘quality’ of a costume. I’ve seen 8 year old kids who made their own costume out of cardboard, and their enthusiasm is awesome, why would I want to label him as ‘inferior’-We know not everyone can make movie quality armor. Having this seems to re-enforce a negative idea. Why do we actually have the need to ‘label’ people as such for their costume making capabilities? We shouldn’t really have an ‘accuracy’, as mentioned before, how would you measure that anyway? We mix and match all kinds of armor from the halo universe. Who has the right to judge if it’s accurate to "character A" or not. In fact, that was the whole point of Halo Reach Multiplayer –it was seeing awesome customizations! I’ve also seen brand new people to the forums that make a professional looking first costume just as good if not better than some of the long time professionals here. Not saying that that’s the plan, but then why bother with Tier’s now when we didn’t need them back then.

A Deployed Member is defined as a member in good standing who meets the following requirements:
• Meets all 405th Deployed Membership Requirements (i.e. ownership of an approved costume, is over 18 years of age, etc).
-Again, please define “Approved” costume.

• Has submitted and had approved a Deployed Membership application.
-Why are we now requiring people to make an account who don't really or don't want to post on the forums, but still come to events as a fellow halo costumer?

• Maintains active contact with their Regiment/Battalion.
• Participates in at least one Regiment/Battalion or Division activity per year* while wearing an approved 405th costume owned by said member as recorded during their application. Examples of an activity include, but are not limited to conventions, charity events, or any activity designated as an event by a coordinating administrative unit of the 405th.
-My first suit took well over a year to build and get to my liking, however during those times I would search through the forums (as a member) to build stuff. I was more of a lurker and didn’t post much, if at all, but the information I gained helped me none the less even though I attended almost no events. For “active events”. How do we distinguish from a planned event by a regiment, and a simple gathering of friends who are also members of the 405th that tell people about it. What happens if I have to leave town for work every time there’s a convention, missing this requirement? Am I to be excommunicated from the regiment? Why do we have a requirement to participate in anything if we just like building stuff? This isn’t 3rd grade PE. Why are we now having "gear approved" costumes?

• Disciplinary data being held against that personal data.
-I’m assuming this deals with someone claiming someone else’s work, legal issues with a member, spamming, etc. If other, please elaborate on what, and why.

I understand the need for rules and regs, and organization. And I think having a SPOC (Special point of contact) for areas is a good idea to organize things. But please, PLEASE don’t try to take us down the same strict, regulated path that the 501st is on. Thanks for taking the time to read.

James Hall
405th Pacific Member

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
-snip!- regarding tiers
The idea is basically to ensure that we're represented properly. As I believe I've discussed in other threads, the aim here isn't to kick people in the mud and make them feel like their costume isn't 'up to scratch' - everyone's welcome to build and do their absolute best.

We are absolutely NOT about being elitist jerks who sit around hunting for imperfections in somebody's work. We want people of all abilities to be able to join in and participate in the community - but, at the same time, when it comes to representing the 405th on deployment, it's natural to want to display the best we have to offer. There's nothing wrong at all with having some standard of workmanship expected of our members, but likewise, we're not going to kick people out onto the curb just because their costume doesn't 'meet a standard'. Members of all ability will be able to contribute.

As long as you've put a decent amount of effort into your costume and don't simply turn up to a deployment wearing a bunch of cardboard boxes painted green, you'll likely be fine. And we don't expect all of our members to turn up to a deployment in olive green Mk VI armour, either - while we realise that there are going to be 'named' builds (Noble Team/John-117/Sarah Palmer, etc) from the Halo Universe, the great thing about the games is that they allow us to create our own identity. We're certainly not going to deny somebody wearing a mix of armours, as long as that mix isn't too outlandish. We don't, for instance, really want Titanfall Spartans walking around wielding lightsabers, do we? We're here to celebrate Halo first and foremost.

Why are we now requiring people to make an account who don't really or don't want to post on the forums, but still come to events as a fellow halo costumer?
You can't, on the one hand, be a part of the community, and then at the same time, not be a part of it. I'd imagine that people are more than welcome to attend conventions in costume, but it's unlikely they'll be recognised as part of the 405th community and invited to deploy with us.

-My first suit took well over a year to build and get to my liking, however during those times I would search through the forums (as a member) to build stuff. I was more of a lurker and didn’t post much, if at all, but the information I gained helped me none the less even though I attended almost no events. For “active events”. How do we distinguish from a planned event by a regiment, and a simple gathering of friends who are also members of the 405th that tell people about it. What happens if I have to leave town for work every time there’s a convention, missing this requirement? Am I to be excommunicated from the regiment? Why do we have a requirement to participate in anything if we just like building stuff? This isn’t 3rd grade PE. Why are we now having "gear approved" costumes?

For the last part - see above. Quality control. As for the rest, I really couldn't say for certain, though I expect this is to prevent a build-up of members who complete a costume, deploy once, and then disappear from the face of the planet. I personally dislike the fact that I'm going to be forced to deploy once a year to be considered a full member, since whatever holiday leave I'll be getting will likely be taken up with travelling to visit my family in the UK, and I can certainly share your fears about this particular piece of the legislature. This part does seem extremely restrictive, and specifically targets those unable to make it to deployments - very few of us will be able to keep up convention attendance as a long-term commitment. Most have other obligations, be they school, work or family. However, I'd assume that 'weekend deployments' with your local Regiment may count, as long as these deployments are properly and officially organised by your Regimental Officer - there will be other opportunities to get involved aside from deploying to major conventions.

Regardless of this: membership within the club does not equate to membership within the community. Joining this forum means you've a home here with the 405th, regardless of whether or not you deploy, we're not going to ban you from the site if you don't attend a deployment.

I’m assuming this deals with someone claiming someone else’s work, legal issues with a member, spamming, etc. If other, please elaborate on what, and why.
I shouldn't really have to explain why plagiarism isn't an accepted thing, especially within the costuming community. Likewise, we don't want spammers/griefers who are going to cause problems - we've a nice list of people who fell foul of the banhammer and were evicted with good reason. Put simply: as long as members toe the line and act like a decent human being, this shouldn't really be an issue for anybody. We don't want to have to deal with a bunch of re-casting, plagiarising, foul-tempered snot-rags within the community, and it's extremely likely that the Hammer will fall on any who don't abide by the rules of common courtesy and respect.

Upvote 0
Hello James,

I appreciate your concerns and I'll do my best to address them.

First of all, we're not going to make this like any other group. Art spent a lot of time talking to people like me with a lot of experience in other groups to find out what works and what doesn't work. So please don't worry about this becoming the 501st. It's not. But I do want to make sure that I understand your concern with it. I've been with the 501st for 11 years and served 8 of those years as either local command or part of Legion Command. There are a lot of things that I wish we could change but at this point, it's likely not possible. We want to avoid those things here.

Having said all of that, this cannot be a functioning, well working group without rules and standards of some kind. I know first hand that more often than not event organizers are more comfortable bringing in a group of people to their event if they can see they have structure and rules. They are more confident in that respect that not only will great quality of costumes show up but also great people who will behave accordingly. I remember in our very early years as a 501st Garrison that it was tough at times to get events because people just didn't know. The fact that we could fall back on the Legion Charter to show them what we were about really helped in that respect.

With respect to membership, the section you're showing is only for the Deployed members. There is also the following section:

[h=1]Non-Costuming Members[/h]
  • Type A - Recruit Membership (New Member): is limited membership open to persons 13 years or older with a registered personal account on the 405th official website. These members have maintained a personal account on the 405th official website for less than 90 days AND made less than 50 posts on the 405th official website.
  • Type B – Enlisted Membership (Full Member): is limited membership open to persons 13 years or older with a registered personal account on the 405th official website. These members have made 50 posts+ and have maintained a personal account for 90+ days on the 405th official website.
    Recruits and Enlisted Members are defined as a member in good standing whose presence is limited, primarily, to the 405th website and who do not meet the finished costume requirements of the organization. Recruits and Enlisted Members may attend physical events as part of the attending public, but have no physical representation rights outside that of the 405th's internet presence.
A Recruit/Enlisted Member is eligible to:

• Register and participate on the 405th website/forum.
  • Attend official/unofficial events as a representative of the 405th in a non-costume (supporting/handler) capacity under the supervision of a Deployed Member (Type C) with the express consent of local, regional, or organizational command.
  • Buy 405th merchandise.
A Recruit/Enlisted Member is not eligible to:

• Vote in unit elections.
  • Run for unit office.
  • Create 405th or Unit merchandise.
  • Buy "Auxiliary Member Only" or "Deployed Member Only" merchandise.
  • Access unit “Deployed Members-only” forums.
  • Attend official/unofficial events in/out of costume as a representative of the 405th unsupervised without the express consent of local, regional, or organizational command.
Recruit/Enlisted members do not receive the right to official investigation, special tribunal, or alternate dispute resolution. Recruit/Enlisted Members found in violation of the 405th Mantle and/or the Move Prop Sites Community Guidelines/Terms of Use may be removed from the community.
Recruit/Enlisted members who participate in events with a Deployed Member that represents the 405th in an official capacity, or who participate in conversations within a Regiment/Battalion forum may be subject to disciplinary actions by the 405th/Regiment/Battalion for infractions of the 405th Mantle or forum Code of Conduct.
Regiments/Battalions may allow Recruit/Enlisted members non-costume participation at official events if they so choose. Should a Regiment/Battalion choose to allow a Recruit/Enlisted member non-costume participation at official events, 405th/Regiment/Battalion take responsibility for the actions of those Recruit/Enlisted members while representing the 405th.

This section of membership is for all of our people here who don't costume but still contribute to the forums and potentially attend events as handlers/helpers. These are our support people. The 501st doesn't officially recognize this type of membership - you're either 501st or you're not - so that is certainly one of the ways we are different.

With respect to the tiers within Deployed - yes in fact this is somewhat like the 501st, however, it's not something that anyone has to do in either group. In my 11 years, I've never sought to get a higher "rank" with respect to one of my costumes because it just isn't my thing. I have approved gear that looks great and I get a lot of joy out of trooping in it. I'm content to be at the base level. Others, however, really do get a lot of joy out of being very exacting and put a lot of time and effort in to getting to that level of completeness. Giving them a higher tier ranking because of that is a kudos to them, not a knock at others who haven't achieved it. And those that haven't achieved it, it gives them something to work towards if they want to. The point, however, is that they don't have to.

Does that help at all?

Upvote 0
I'll clear up the concerns about the once per year clause as well. This is in fact to keep people involved. It doesn't have to be a convention or an official event (think event organized by Microsoft etc). If your regiment plans an event to attend at a school library to encourage reading or a community event etc., that can absolutely count at as your once a year troop. However, please note that we're not looking to boot everyone out simply on one clause. If there are reasons such as work or military deployment or health etc. that prevent you from getting out, we can make exceptions on a case by case basis so long as we can see that you are contributing in other ways to your local unit.

Upvote 0
If there are reasons such as work or military deployment or health etc. that prevent you from getting out, we can make exceptions on a case by case basis so long as we can see that you are contributing in other ways to your local unit.

That resolves a major concern I had, then. That said, I still don't particularly like the fact that a good number of our members are going to be excluded from things based purely on the misfortune of location or other constraints. To put it into perspective: we have several members in Australia and Europe that don't have the means to attend either local deployments or more official deployments to conventions - even in the US, we have some hard-working members with some fairly amazing work under their belt that are fairly isolated - both geographically, and from other members of the 405th as a whole. A lot of our members simply won't be able to make attendances due to circumstances beyond their control, and it saddens me to think that these members will be excluded due to some geographical misfortune.

I realise that there's a requirement to make things 'official', and I understand that you'd like to have an 'exclusive' tier for members who can actively deploy and represent, but I would strongly urge you to reconsider how you go about 'Type C' membership. I recall conversations like this cropping up the last time we considered the Charter, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention what a sewage-storm that turned out to be. Nobody likes feeling like they're excluded by dint of circumstance or geography.

Upvote 0
We're going to work through this, Chernobyl. Don't stress about what hasn't happened yet. We'll absolutely deal with those kinds of things as they happen. I'm certainly not here to see how many of you I can get rid of so we'll do all we can to help folks out. But thank you for expressing the concern.

Upvote 0
I'm certainly not here to see how many of you I can get rid of

You'd have a pretty empty community if you did. I appreciate the sentiment, and I'm not throwing out that just to scare you or make oblique demands - again, I'm only pointing out what I've seen in the past. Your 'Type C' membership was suggested in the past and the fallout was pretty severe, I doubt things have changed since then.

Upvote 0
Chernobyl , FANGS ,

Thanks guys, after reading it's just nice to be reassured of many things. I'm big for being organized, although I would like to post photos of work in progress, and such more often as many do, it's just hard to find the time, so then it never gets done. I just don't want others to be discouraged from curiosity because they rarely post or set them aside as not being as deicated. In any case thanks for the explanations, and the share of concerns as well.
James

Upvote 0
It's going to be a great year, James!

The minimum post count is really to encourage people to participate in the community. We all have so much to offer, even if you're only a beginner. I have this conversation with people all the time about the RPF. People are intimidated about posting there but I KNOW that every mistake I've made in costuming is something that others could benefit in learning how to avoid and even if that's all I ever have to contribute, it would be a valuable contribution. Don't think that only sharing whole builds or threads about some technical skill you'll never get to try are the only valuable things to share. EVERYTHING is valuable when it comes to what you're doing with costuming. Even talking about how you organize yourself to get things done in the small amounts of time you do have is beneficial to people. There is always going to be someone better than all of us at something, but that doesn't mean that our contributions aren't worth while.

Upvote 0
The idea is basically to ensure that we're represented properly. As I believe I've discussed in other threads, the aim here isn't to kick people in the mud and make them feel like their costume isn't 'up to scratch' - everyone's welcome to build and do their absolute best.

We are absolutely NOT about being elitist jerks who sit around hunting for imperfections in somebody's work. We want people of all abilities to be able to join in and participate in the community - but, at the same time, when it comes to representing the 405th on deployment, it's natural to want to display the best we have to offer. There's nothing wrong at all with having some standard of workmanship expected of our members, but likewise, we're not going to kick people out onto the curb just because their costume doesn't 'meet a standard'. Members of all ability will be able to contribute.

As long as you've put a decent amount of effort into your costume and don't simply turn up to a deployment wearing a bunch of cardboard boxes painted green, you'll likely be fine. And we don't expect all of our members to turn up to a deployment in olive green Mk VI armour, either - while we realise that there are going to be 'named' builds (Noble Team/John-117/Sarah Palmer, etc) from the Halo Universe, the great thing about the games is that they allow us to create our own identity. We're certainly not going to deny somebody wearing a mix of armours, as long as that mix isn't too outlandish. We don't, for instance, really want Titanfall Spartans walking around wielding lightsabers, do we? We're here to celebrate Halo first and foremost.

I feel that yes, some line needs to be drawn with standards, but maybe it should be in regards to recognizably or intent. Technical worksmanship is a very thorny subject and we should thread carefully. So, lets say if someone shows up with a couple of cardboard boxes painted green or some relatively shoddily made armor. I feel we should aim to be inclusive and welcoming. Rather than say "sorry kid, maybe you can come with us next time when you make better armor", I'd rather let them come with us and be inspired by being among others that have built more elaborate or detailed armor, let them feel like they belong and maybe strive to make a better one just by being included with us. Someone like that has the courage and passion to at least attempt something and go into the public expressing a fandom that we all share. The last thing I want to do is to turn that person away on a technicality. I know, that as costumers we're striving to make the best and stand out and we want to set the gold standard. But we have to remember that everyone starts somewhere and we should be ready to extend a hand of encouragement and friendship to anyone that wants to join in.

One thing I feel I have to note is that 343 themselves have said they love the range of costumes from the 405th, from the shoddiest looking hunk of cardboard to some of the crazy mastery we've seen in the elite sections. As a more concrete example, take a look at our outing at SDCC in 2012:

We have a wide variety of Spartans on stage and all were welcomed, I want to make sure that the new rules can maintain this openness and welcoming attitude.

You can't, on the one hand, be a part of the community, and then at the same time, not be a part of it. I'd imagine that people are more than welcome to attend conventions in costume, but it's unlikely they'll be recognised as part of the 405th community and invited to deploy with us.

This is a product of the unique situation of the Pacific Regiment, so I'll give a little backstory so you have the proper context.

Back during the Dark Times (when the 405th was in decline, overrun with spyware, and basically unusable), we banded together and organized ourselves as a regiment thanks in no small part to Trooper0621. The central point of this was the Facebook page and private group for 405th Pacific. It's over there, especially in the Facebook group where we get together, coordinate, and have been growing the regiment. When Art took over the 405th last year, the regimental subforums were created to bring us "back into the fold" as it were and try to bring that activity back over here. As you can tell by the level of activity in the Pacific subforum, that hasn't happened yet. I would say that's mostly because the Facebook private group "works" and people have very little incentive to move away from something that A) is what they're already familiar with and B) already working. Right now, the group is buzzing with activity over preparations for WonderCon (which we have a table and panel lined up) and SDCC whereas the subforum here is a bit of a ghosttown.

The thing about the Pacific Regiment is that we formed, grew, and thrived mostly outside of the wider 405th community. So the people within the regiment have formed and participate in a community, it's just a more locally focused community. You can think of it as some self-governing autonomous region from the greater whole that is the 405th.That's just how it developed organically and and we'll have to find some way to integrate as we go further down the line.

So the reason the account requirement is causing some consternation inside Pacific is that some of the members see no need or interest in migrating away from our currently working setup. I understand the reasoning behind the requirement, but with the history of Pacific, I'm hoping you can see the reasoning behind the objections to that requirement.

Non-Costuming Members

• Type A - Recruit Membership (New Member): is limited membership open to persons 13 years or older with a registered personal account on the 405th official website. These members have maintained a personal account on the 405th official website for less than 90 days AND made less than 50 posts on the 405th official website.
  • Type B – Enlisted Membership (Full Member): is limited membership open to persons 13 years or older with a registered personal account on the 405th official website. These members have made 50 posts+ and have maintained a personal account for 90+ days on the 405th official website.
    Recruits and Enlisted Members are defined as a member in good standing whose presence is limited, primarily, to the 405th website and who do not meet the finished costume requirements of the organization. Recruits and Enlisted Members may attend physical events as part of the attending public, but have no physical representation rights outside that of the 405th's internet presence.
A Recruit/Enlisted Member is eligible to:

• Register and participate on the 405th website/forum.
  • Attend official/unofficial events as a representative of the 405th in a non-costume (supporting/handler) capacity under the supervision of a Deployed Member (Type C) with the express consent of local, regional, or organizational command.
  • Buy 405th merchandise.
A Recruit/Enlisted Member is not eligible to:

• Vote in unit elections.
  • Run for unit office.
  • Create 405th or Unit merchandise.
  • Buy "Auxiliary Member Only" or "Deployed Member Only" merchandise.
  • Access unit “Deployed Members-only” forums.
  • Attend official/unofficial events in/out of costume as a representative of the 405th unsupervised without the express consent of local, regional, or organizational command.
Recruit/Enlisted members do not receive the right to official investigation, special tribunal, or alternate dispute resolution. Recruit/Enlisted Members found in violation of the 405th Mantle and/or the Move Prop Sites Community Guidelines/Terms of Use may be removed from the community.
Recruit/Enlisted members who participate in events with a Deployed Member that represents the 405th in an official capacity, or who participate in conversations within a Regiment/Battalion forum may be subject to disciplinary actions by the 405th/Regiment/Battalion for infractions of the 405th Mantle or forum Code of Conduct.
Regiments/Battalions may allow Recruit/Enlisted members non-costume participation at official events if they so choose. Should a Regiment/Battalion choose to allow a Recruit/Enlisted member non-costume participation at official events, 405th/Regiment/Battalion take responsibility for the actions of those Recruit/Enlisted members while representing the 405th.

This section of membership is for all of our people here who don't costume but still contribute to the forums and potentially attend events as handlers/helpers. These are our support people. The 501st doesn't officially recognize this type of membership - you're either 501st or you're not - so that is certainly one of the ways we are different.

With respect to the tiers within Deployed - yes in fact this is somewhat like the 501st, however, it's not something that anyone has to do in either group. In my 11 years, I've never sought to get a higher "rank" with respect to one of my costumes because it just isn't my thing. I have approved gear that looks great and I get a lot of joy out of trooping in it. I'm content to be at the base level. Others, however, really do get a lot of joy out of being very exacting and put a lot of time and effort in to getting to that level of completeness. Giving them a higher tier ranking because of that is a kudos to them, not a knock at others who haven't achieved it. And those that haven't achieved it, it gives them something to work towards if they want to. The point, however, is that they don't have to.

Does that help at all?

I think the problem here is that the Type C members have all the rights and privileges, this is putting a greater emphasis on costumers whereas the community is built up from and survives on more than just that gruop. Handlers/3D moldelers/ etc. should have the same standing as the costumers. They're as much a part of the community as the more visible costumers.

I'll just give an example of one of the situations we've got here.
Traghatti and his girlfirend are currently coordinating our table setup for WonderCon. She's been a part of Pacific for years working as a handler and now at the forefront of coordinating some of our Regimental activities. At this point, she doesn't the inclination to sign up on here for an account, and if she does won't be using it much as a lot of the coordination and interaction is occurring off this site. By the rules, she doesn't even qualify as Type A, and even if an exception were made and she ended up Type B, she doesn't have the full rights and participation allowed by Type C yet I'd argue she's done a lot more for this Regiment than some Type Cs. Her situation is not unique as we have other SOs, family members, friends, etc. of people who participated in the forums before the Dark Times and ended up growing into the regiment and taking a greater role while this forum was down. To further compound that, people are coming to us through Facebook or meeting Regiment members in person at events and being integrated into the Regiment without having passed through these forums. It's a problem that certainly needs to be looked at. I'm not sure what the solution is going to be, but wholesale forcing everyone to migrate from something that's comfortable and working is going to upset and alienate a lot of people.

Upvote 0
We're going to do our best to make sure people don't feel that way. Certainly with some, we're going to fail and that really does upset me, but it won't be for lack of trying.

I'd like to suggest to everyone that we go in to this with an open mind and help those in our area try to do the same. Your concerns are not falling on deaf ears and we will do our best to get through this, but I'd really like everyone to try to not worry about the what ifs right now. If we move forward with the idea that this cannot work for some, it most certainly will fail for them. I am a firm believer that we can be successful with this if we work together and if you all trust that we will do our best to help and listen.

Upvote 0
Spacemeat

I understand where you're coming from. Change is hard, especially when what you have is already working. And I also understand that Facebook is just easier for some. We are making some changes that I hope will ease some of that distress for people. First, awhile ago I asked Art to give each Regiment a private area that only the members will be able to see. While events and builds etc. should be out in the open so that everyone can see what other Regiments are busy doing, the private area is where you can share things you'd only want your Regiment Family to read, much like a closed Facebook page. Second, Art is working very hard on getting this site prepped to move to a new format. The exciting part about this is that there will no longer be any need to use an app like Tapatalk to view this site on a mobile device. The new platform automatically resizes. Art moved Predatorium first and it's working extremely well there. Next up is here. There are some delays while he seeks out suitable add-ons for our calendar etc., but he's already done some testing and it's getting much closer to being able to be moved.

With respect to members who come to you at cons. You're 100% correct in that it is much better to bring them in to the fold to encourage them to learn and grow in their costuming skills. And frankly, that's the best way for this community to grow - new blood! And you can still do that, it's just under a little different set of rules. Encourage them to sign up here and introduce themselves. Guide them through where on the forum they are going to find the information that they need. Find out who they live near and perhaps in time invite them out to an armor party etc. Get them to come to the next event so they can get a good look at what it takes to put on your gear and how to interact with the public in representing the 405th. In a short amount of time, they'll have 50 posts and move up the to a tier, all the while learning more about Halo costumes and getting to know the community.

It's not a bad thing guys......but it is a different thing. We just have to work together in order to make it happen smoothly.

Upvote 0
In regards to the handful of builders that have made it into the Elite builders section of the original 405th.
Will their status carrier over & now be considered part of the "Legend Costumers" ?

Upvote 0
so to be a tier one it has to be spot on halo armor so if we make marine armor and it doesn't look 75% like it does do it count. because I know those who don't would have a hard time trying too.

Upvote 0
In regards to the handful of builders that have made it into the Elite builders section of the original 405th.
Will their status carrier over & now be considered part of the "Legend Costumers" ?

Given the politics that ended up happening with the Elite section, I'd assume they'll have to be re-assessed.

so to be a tier one it has to be spot on halo armor so if we make marine armor and it doesn't look 75% like it does do it count. because I know those who don't would have a hard time trying too.

From what I've read, not only ODST and MJOLNIR armour will be eligible, but also Marine/pilot armor and soft suits like dress whites, etc. This would even cover stuff like deck technicians, navigators, etc. It just has to be in-universe and reasonably well made.

Upvote 0
well that's scary. because if your free handing it you might not get it 100% it might be close but it might not. plus how would we know what the armor looks like up close I mean pics only go so far.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back