What and Where to get foam for weapon crafting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qpJaKeWaGGqp

Hello! I'm new here and I was just wondering if any of you guys could help me figuring out where to get foam and what kind of foam to cut and make a weapon? Thanks!

it depends how you plan on building it but this is a list of what I use

I start with a base polystyrene (avalable from most hardware stores - Home depot is where I got mine (online link - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cor...68WD/100320355

then i build up using EVA foam 3/8 and 1/2 inch are what i use as well as craft foams (link for EVA foam - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) this is a bit much for a couple of weapon builds but is good

you can find craft foams just about anywhere (I use 3mm and 5mm foams) hobby lobby is where I get mine

Wether you are looking for extruded polystyrene of EVA floor mats, they are readily available at any hardware store such as Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Really any store that has a lumber yard should have it. Ireccomend a 5 cm or 2 inches thickness for extruded polystyrene if you plan to carve away from the material. It does make it harder to cut through the 2 inches but you have a lot more breathing room after.

You will usually find the extruded polystyrene sheets in the lumber yard and the floor mats in the store. My local hardware store is a Rona (pretty much canadian Lowes) so that's where I get the foam and any other materials I might need such as wooden rods, MDF or plastic sheets and those coloured cardbaords where there are paint colours so I can replicate them with my acrylics.

Hobby stores and art places such as Micheals also often have cool stuff that you can work with too. Altough I doubt what you want to do is to buy a canvas and paint on it, It is always worth a look, you never know what crazy object you might find and be able to use.

If you are starting out, get a 9mm and 18mm exacto knives and lots of replacement blades or something to resharpen them as foam blunts the crap out of you blades. On a single rifle size project, I go through 5 to 10 blades of various types tough I was able to cut my consumption in blades thanks to my hotwire table.

Hope I was helpfull and good luck in your projects! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back