Face-shield fit in a PEP helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cys920622

is there some bending involved?
are HJC shields succeptable to some amount of bending?
i know they're stupid questions but i don't want to snap a $50 face shield.

also, what did you guys attatch it with? i heard black sillicone... but i was wondering if hot glue on the inside would work.

cys920622 said:
is there some bending involved?
are HJC shields succeptable to some amount of bending?
i know they're stupid questions but i don't want to snap a $50 face shield.

also, what did you guys attatch it with? i heard black sillicone... but i was wondering if hot glue on the inside would work.

i am also curious... i also wanted to ask how the helmet is adjusted to fit right on the head. I just finished mine, and it doesnt sit right. it falls forward and wobbles a bit. its not too big on me. Adding the hjc visor to it will also make the front end even heavier than it already is, so im curious how that is balanced out too....

Last edited by a moderator:
You can bend the HJC visors no problem. You'll need to cut the ends off of them to keep them from banging into your face / other stuff crammed into the helmet. Do test them out before you cut, though. It would really suck if you trimmed off too much. As for adhering them, some folks use hot glue, others black silicone or gasket sealer. I plan to use the silicone myself.

@iamlocosucka: My helmet does that, too, though I haven't added the Skullworx yet (batteries in the back should help a lot). You could always add some weight to the back (cys920622's fishing weights idea is great), and then put in some more foam padding so the helmet "grabs" onto your noggin better.

Boomer said:
You can bend the HJC visors no problem. You'll need to cut the ends off of them to keep them from banging into your face / other stuff crammed into the helmet. Do test them out before you cut, though. It would really suck if you trimmed off too much. As for adhering them, some folks use hot glue, others black silicone or gasket sealer. I plan to use the silicone myself.

iamlocosucka: My helmet does that, too, though I haven't added the Skullworx yet (batteries in the back should help a lot). You could always add some weight to the back (cys920622's fishing weights idea is great), and then put in some more foam padding so the helmet "grabs" onto your noggin better.

I'm not going for the molding/fiberglassing model... I used 110olb card stock and just going to spray paint that as the whole outfit.. with midterms coming up, i have a limited amount of time to get this done for halloween so im just gunna wear the cardstock bare.... i'm not sure if that changes anything, but theres only 2 things i need to figure out...

1) what i wanted to know is if the card stock alone will be enough to hold up the visor. I do see how to add weights to counterbalance the weight in the back, but im not sure if the card stock helmet alone can hold the visor to be bent into shape. its definitely sturdy, but im weary about spending 30 bucks on a helmet just on a possibility that it can work.

2) i cant figure out how i should insulate/foam the inside of the helmet to get it to fit right... not sure what to use for that, or what everyone else is using etc.. i have looked at most of the posts... im not sure exactly what "foam padding" you're referring to, but i apologize if i overlooked something obvious...

thanks in advance...

No unfortunatly. My helmet is going to be the last piece i make. I figure, if it doesnt quite fit, i can always trim it down or cut the whole thing apart and epoxy (or some other tough glue) the pieces in place where i need them.

And, it was under 20.00 so if worse comes to worst, i didn't break the bank.

thanks for the link man. i would've used it if it fit in my helmet :p

my helmet's really snug, and i think i'll line it with pieces of an ikea seat cushion.

ordered my faceshield in today, cost me $56! :(

iamlocosucka said:
I'm not going for the molding/fiberglassing model... I used 110olb card stock and just going to spray paint that as the whole outfit.. with midterms coming up, i have a limited amount of time to get this done for halloween so im just gunna wear the cardstock bare.... i'm not sure if that changes anything, but theres only 2 things i need to figure out...

1) what i wanted to know is if the card stock alone will be enough to hold up the visor. I do see how to add weights to counterbalance the weight in the back, but im not sure if the card stock helmet alone can hold the visor to be bent into shape. its definitely sturdy, but im weary about spending 30 bucks on a helmet just on a possibility that it can work.

2) i cant figure out how i should insulate/foam the inside of the helmet to get it to fit right... not sure what to use for that, or what everyone else is using etc.. i have looked at most of the posts... im not sure exactly what "foam padding" you're referring to, but i apologize if i overlooked something obvious...

thanks in advance...

Well, I've been reading all of the forums, and a couple of people came up with some inexpensive ideas. One person came up with the idea of an old mousepad. Pads from old helmets would work, and they're already ready to be velcro'd. Seat cushions, thick fabric (if your helmet is already really tight), or even if you're willing to spend a buck, motorcycle specialty stores (or BMX/dirtbike) sell them for around twenty dollars. Here's the link. I hope this helps!

I've got one of those liners from Scorpion Sports and nothing sticks out at all. The ear guards are seperate from the head pad, so you could just use the top portion if the other two don't fit.

Umm... I have a question. Couldn't someone just fiberglass they're whole helm then cut out the visor. Then bondo fibervisor to the correct form then use a vacuum form... But thats just if you are that picky about the visor

i put out and got a shoei visor, iridium gold...its almost he perfect color, it has the reflectability on the front, and the face is concave like the "real" helmet's visor. as soon as i find my camera ill post some better profile pics, the ones you see on the websites are crap that dont show anything.

an inch or so of trimming down the sides and youve got a perfect lightweight (less than .3 lbs) visor that looks awesome.

Like i said, pics soon.

and a warning--shoei visors are excellent, but kinda expensive...$65 or so for mine, SO DONT SCREW IT UP....

you got off lucky, they were $100CAD at the nearest motorsports store.
my HJC was $56! and it aint as reflective as i want it to be.

K, i said id post some pics of my shoei visor for reference, and here they are. the first is the outside (duh), but the second is a 1/2 view from the inside. the top half is w/out the visor, the bottom half is with.

unfortunately i cant show what it looks like installed in the helmet, because i havent finished fiberglassing it yet, but from my test-fittings it should be awesome.

[EDIT] Sorry about the figerprints on the visor, i didnt realize theyd show up on the flash...oh well.

looks not too much different from mine...
i think the reflecteness depends on how much light there is on the non-reflective side.

i think there's going to be a lot of bending involved when i shove mine into my helmet... even after cutting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back