2015 Elections

Status
Not open for further replies.

FANGS

Commanding Officer
Community Staff
Division Staff
Elections will be starting on MONDAY, MARCH 16, 2015.

Got your attention now? ;-)

You may see this information in more than one location because we want to be sure that everyone is aware. Please link one of the posts on your Facebook pages so that we catch as many as possible.

The Mantle states the following for the election process:

Battalion and Regiment

• Battalion Commanding Officer (BCO) and Regiment Commanding Officer (RCO) are elected by popular vote of the active members of their respective unit.
  • Executive Office and Membership Officer of Battalion and Regiment are appointed by their respective CO.
  • CO may appoint other administrative positions within their unit as needed.
  • Active Deployed members in good standing are eligible to run for CO.
  • Deployed members are eligible to nominate and vote in elections within their currently assigned unit.
  • Members that are classified as reserve, retired, suspended, or discharged may not vote unless their status has been changed back to active before voting begins. Notice of upcoming elections will be posted on the 405th.com at least one week prior to the beginning of the nomination period.
  • Elections for CO positions are held once every two years.
  • Elections will begin at 12:01am PST on the 1st Wednesday of January.
  • Nominations will be open for 4 days beginning on Wednesday and concluding on the Saturday immediately following.
  • At 12:01am PST on Sunday, a question-and-answer period begins and runs for 4 days, closing on the Wednesday immediately following.
  • Commanding Officers are elected by the popular vote of the members of their unit. Voting will open Thursday following the question-and-answer period and be available for 4 days, ending on the following Sunday.
  • Election results will be announced on Monday.
  • The remainder of the month is reserved for transitioning between administrations. Elected candidates will take office at 12:01am PST on February 1st.
  • If no one challenges an incumbent leader of a unit, an election may be waived.

For this election and this election only, things are different simply because we technically do not have any members as of yet. We are also reducing the amount of time so that we can get the elections completed by April 1st.

All Regiments are being approved. Having said that, the logos have not yet been approved. We will be contacting the CO's following the election to get that process taken care of.

Who can vote?

For this election, and this election only, any registered member who currently has access to their local regiment forum will be able to vote. Next year when our first standardized election occurs, only Tier C and Tier D members will be eligible to vote, per the Mantle. Again, we are only bending the rules this first time because we do not officially have any members in place yet. After the 2016 elections, CO elections will happen every 2 years, unless there is need to replace the current CO.

Who can be nominated?

For this election, and this election only, any registered member who currently has access to their local regiment forum can nominate anyone within their Regiment. However, for this first election, the Division staff will be vetting nominees based on activity and registration length. Also, keep in mind that only be Tier D members will be eligible for nomination in 2016.

Time period?

For this election only - each phase in the election process will be 4 days. All times are based on Pacific Standard Time.

Nominations will begin on Monday, March 16 at 12:01 a.m. They will end at 12:00 a.m. on Thursday, March 20.

Q&A will begin on Friday, March 21st at 12:01 a.m. and will end on Monday, March 23rd at 12:00 a.m.

Voting will run from Tuesday, March 24th at 12:00 a.m. to Friday, March 27th at 12:00 a.m.

The positions will officially start on Wednesday, April 1st to allow time for us to make sure the elected people have the proper permissions etc.

Rules:

Each nomination needs three parts - nomination, a second (from a different person) and acceptance by the nominated person. If it is missing any of those three, the nomination fails.

If you're going to nominate someone, please speak to them first to ensure that they wish to run.

You can nominate yourself, and you can self second a nomination for you by someone else. However, you cannot do both. The first nomination and the second must in all circumstances come from two different people, but one of those people can be the person being nominated.

The election process will happen in the members only area for each Regiment on this forum. Please tell me as soon as possible if you do not have access to this forum but believe that you should.

Any questions? Please feel free to ask!

Thanks for posting this Angela, and for explaining the process involved for the upcoming election. There's just a couple things I wanted to clarify for our regiment members:

1. Given the small number of active members within our regiment at present, the Canadian regiment will not be broken down into smaller local groups (ie. battalions) for the time being and so no one need worry about electing a BCO, only an RCO

2. I'd like to stress the importance of the rules for this election. As stated above, please only nominate someone if you've spoken with him/her and are sure they wish to run for office. Otherwise, the three-part nomination for that individual could fail

I have just one question to ask right now, what exactly is involved in the Question & Answer period? :confused

That is where we ask you complicated questions from the world of science and space exploration and see how many you get right.... ;-)

Actually it's just a time period for folks to ask questions of anyone running to see if they like the vision they have for leading the group. Kind of a get to know you and why you want to lead us conversation.

And just to be clear - we don't have any Batallions offically set up anywhere in any area yet and therefore this is just for Regiment at the moment. But thank you for bringing that up!

Hey Fangs.

How many total positions are you looking to fill ? as well you say the BCO and the RCO are elected by popular vote of the active members of their respective unit. What units are you referring? or will they be created after this election ?

As I mentioned in my last post here to help alleviate any confusion with this, there will be no "respective units" as the small number of active members within our regiment at present simply doesn't allow for us to break it down into smaller local groups (ie. battalions) for the time being.

If our numbers increase enough before the next elections in 2016, then obviously we can look at creating battalions for areas where the regiment's membership are concentrated. Only under those circumstances will we break down the regiment like the US ones have been.

So, I think the only position we need to look at filling right now is an RCO. Maybe also an XO (Executive Officer) and MO (Membership Officer) for the regiment, if details of those positions can be more clearly defined. That'd be my best guess given the current circumstances.

Just a quick reminder to our active members here to please go check out the nominations thread posted in the "Members Only" sub-forum for nominating/voting for the new RCO.

You should all have access to the "Members Only" area, but if not please let either myself or FANGS know so access can be given to you.

Artifice - this election is only for the Regiment CO's. Battalions in any Regiment have not yet been created official. Those will come in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to clarify, as this is still a bit confusing for me - when referring to 'Members Only' sub-forums, we're referring to this 2015 Elections thread correct?
So nominations and such will all take place here?

Just to clarify, as this is still a bit confusing for me - when referring to 'Members Only' sub-forums, we're referring to this 2015 Elections thread correct?
So nominations and such will all take place here?

Nope. Back in December of last year Art Andrews set up a private "Members Only" sub-forum within the Canadian regiment's forum, stuck at the top of our regiment's forum page.

Art Andrews
posted the thread where folks can post their nominations, which I then moved to that sub-forum so only Canadian regiment members can actually see what's in there.

EDIT: For ease of navigation, here's a direct link to the nominations thread --> http://www.405th.com/f62/2015-regiment-co-nominations-make-your-nomination-here-44312/

OH. Thank you for the link. For some reason my eyes bypassed that portion of the page when searching.

OH. Thank you for the link. For some reason my eyes bypassed that portion of the page when searching.

Since we haven't used that sub-forum for any members only discussions, it's an easy thing to overlook.

I only knew of it because I'm the forum moderator for the regiment and so watch this forum like a hawk, lol.

Fangs and Spartan, As of this moment. Fangs is our DXO and Spartan is our CO? just finding a layout of the Regiment.

Actually, at present I am only the Forum Moderator for our little corner of the 405th. I have no other role to play in the administration of our regiment.

EDIT: And I was made Forum Moderator as I was the one who approached Art Andrews about founding and organizing a Canadian regiment.

Just a friendly reminder to any active members who haven't done so, to please go to the RCO candidate voting thread in the "Members Only" sub-forum and cast your vote.

Please note voting ends at approximately 11:40am tomorrow, March 27th. After that, the poll will be closed.

We want everyone to have their say in who gets elected as our regiment's first CO, and so far only three members (aside from myself and the other candidate) have voted.

Sorry I haven't been active here the last few days. My weekends tend to get pretty busy :p Didn't have a chance to post anything here until now.

Anyway, looks like I'll be our regiment's first CO. I humbly accept my newly-appointed position, and appreciate everyone's vote in my leading the regiment.

Together, I know we can make the Canadian regiment something great :cool

Thank you, sir! :$

And for my first act as RCO, I will now go about deciding who will be my RXO and RMO.

I've already decided that fellow CO candidate Artifice will be Regiment Executive Officer.

So, please welcome him to the regimental staff group!

I haven't yet decided on who will be the RMO for the Canadian regiment.

Congrats to both of you! Each of you will be spectacular additions to the regimental staff. (No pressure) ;D

Thank you, sir! :$

And for my first act as RCO, I will now go about deciding who will be my RXO and RMO.

I've already decided that fellow CO candidate Artifice will be Regiment Executive Officer.

So, please welcome him to the regimental staff group!

I haven't yet decided on who will be the RMO for the Canadian regiment.

Congrats Spartan! at your new position. and Thank you for making me your RXO! I graciously except :) I do see us making a great team :cool

Congrats to both of you! Each of you will be spectacular additions to the regimental staff. (No pressure) ;D

Thanks BlazedStarbon. I know Spartan and I will do our best to make the Canadian Regiment a amazing place !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back