405th-UK Banner Creation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chernobyl

Sr Member
Since we're on the way to becoming a formal Regiment, we're going to need a banner to go along with the brand. I've suggested 'Excalibur' in the past, given previous efforts by other members to get the Regiment formalised a little more, but if other people have other names they'd like to submit, please feel free to do so.

Regardless, we need a banner. I realise that I'm not exactly the Regimental CO, but somebody has to take this bull by the horns and get something done - it may as well be me. All suggestions will be welcome - please post your concepts and ideas here. I'll throw a few up myself when I've had the time to do some, and when we have a decent pool of banners/icons to go along with, I'll start up a thread for the community here to vote upon.

I'm an art student so I could draw a few ideas up. But I can't use computers that well so someone else would have to do it digitally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm an art student so I could draw a few ideas up. But I can't use computers that well so someone else would have to do it digitally.

That's absolutely fine and dandy. Even napkin doodles are more than welcome - I can happily digitise any designs we land upon, if the designs are created using traditional media.

image.jpgimage.jpg
So here is one idea. Obviously it's not a final piece but is should get everyone thinking
sorry for the quality of the pictures I'm doing this off of my phone

That's very good indeed - though, you may want to familiarise yourself with some of the other Regimental banners and logos, as well as the overall logo rules: any logo must incorporate the 405th's own iconography (found HERE).

You can download examples of other regimental heraldry at the following links, for examples:

CANADIAN REGIMENT
PACIFIC REGIMENT
SOUTHERN REGIMENT
SOUTHWEST REGIMENT

You'll notice that all of the logos retain the same design style that the original 405th heraldry uses - it'd be preferable to keep our own heraldry to the same theme. However, thinking of the 'Excalibur' name we're going for, I thought we could use devices from the King Arthur tales - the Holy Grail, the Round Table, perhaps Excalibur's scabbard. I also had the idea of perhaps having a medieval gauntlet thrusting the weapon skywards, as Nimue would have done when giving the sword to Arthur initially.

I'll see what I can come up with.

Sure I'll send what I could come up with, I was kind of going for a lions mane with the red bit. But I'll look into King Arthur more.

Your third and fourth designs look pretty good - remember, we're not looking for something overly complex.

I'd show off some of my own work but I'm made up with cold and I can barely keep my eyes open. Thankfully we're not under a time limit for this, so we can take all the time we want. Other UK members are still welcome to chip in.

Done in about 30 seconds as thought came to me, very ropey (looking at you welsh dragon) But idea was to use the sword in some fashion, the round circle being the round table, and the section of the table being the flags of each nation. with the 405th icon prominent. (Please excuse the shocking sharpie scribbling's)

DAC3D79B-B65F-4176-8902-E8BF085FE45B.jpg

The other idea that I haven't drawn was to go with Hobbit 13's 4th and 5th pic above, use the shield as a background with a stylised Union Flag, and have the laurel surrounded tri hex design and have the 4 nation flags inside the hexes, i.e. St George and saltire spilt in half sharing one, and the Irish and Welsh flag in the other 2. and some Arthurian or stylised celtic line work surrounding the shield??

These are just quick ideas I have in my head,

Attachments

• DAC3D79B-B65F-4176-8902-E8BF085FE45B.jpg
    DAC3D79B-B65F-4176-8902-E8BF085FE45B.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 349
Chernobyl, I could do some work on converting some of these designs into a digitised piece, would really like to see this project succeed.

Chernobyl, I could do some work on converting some of these designs into a digitised piece, would really like to see this project succeed.

That would be excellent, Spartan. I'd also appreciate some other designs before we begin the voting process, so if you have any ideas, please feel free to submit them.

EDIT: SPARTAN II was very kind and dropped this little gem into my inbox a few minutes ago. The generosity he's displayed in doing this, completely un-announced and off his own back, is truly staggering. If it were possible to have multi-Regimental membership I'd offer him up a place with the Knights in a heartbeat.

Again, we've still got the voting process to go through, but I'm going to enter his suggestion purely through the awesome good-will the guy has shown.

Attachments

• DSC04571_zpsavvl8ymw.jpg
    DSC04571_zpsavvl8ymw.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 392
Last edited by a moderator:
That's very nice, is the flag on the background the St George or are we planning the Union flag. (No anti unionist rubbish BTW, just you know, there are a few of us here from the land of the moaning sweaty's :)) ;)

Haha. No, I understand completely, and no design here is 100% finalised - if people aren't happy with the idea of a flag on the logo, we can quite easily work something else out. England doesn't represent the UK as a whole, so we could either have the design merged into a Union Jack, or remove the flag entirely in favour of something else.

All options are, at this stage, still open. Feel free to keep suggesting things!

I like the idea of a stylised flag as the union flag is one of the most recognised at a glance in the world, plus it adds a nice splash of colour. However if you need me ill be crying in a corner working out how to sew a coat from scratch with no clue.

I like the idea of a stylised flag as the union flag is one of the most recognised at a glance in the world, plus it adds a nice splash of colour. However if you need me ill be crying in a corner working out how to sew a coat from scratch with no clue.

I feel for you immensely.

I've spoken with SPARTAN II - the St. George's Cross was a simple cultural oversight, nothing more. It would be very possible to either add the Union Jack colouring, or remove the flag entirely and have the emblem a little more subdued. I'm concerned mainly that adding too much colour and flair to the design will make it more difficult to reproduce, but I'm also down with the idea of having the Jack on our flag.

Last edited by a moderator:
D-D-D-DOUBLE POST!

The deadline for logo submissions will close on Monday (30th March), at whatever time I drag my sorry backside out of bed and make up a voting thread for the designs. For all those who have submitted designs, please consider your best work for voting - we have a lot of designs to sort through, so if you'd all like to short-list the submissions you'd like to have considered, it would help us all out.

Thanks, Knights!

Hey, just thought I could throw something in here, see how it comes out :p
Excalibur logo 1.png

Attachments

• Excalibur logo 1.png
    Excalibur logo 1.png
    62.8 KB · Views: 434
  • Excalibur logo 2.png
    Excalibur logo 2.png
    63 KB · Views: 426
Status
Not open for further replies.