3D Printable ODST armour pieces *PIC HEAVY*

Status
Not open for further replies.

quick221

As a part of a re-imagining of a mostly abandoned armour project, I've decided to use my keen 3D modelling skills to make the game-extracted ODST armour pieces into HD, print ready, model fixed .stl files.
The first of the pieces I'm making print ready is the helmet. It's a four step process that goes as follows:
  1. The first step is to make it print-ready (in the most basic ways, e.g. giving the helmet an interior that can house a human head)
  2. Next is to make it HD (sculpting and other methods to give details using bump maps and concepts for reference)
  3. Then for it to be truly print-ready it needs to be exported to the .stl format and run it through a fixer (I use Microsoft's)
  4. The fourth (mostly optional) step is to upload it to the 405th's file archive for the community!

Here's a screenshot of the helmet at about step 2:
bbz37.png

Note the companion rendered view.

To emphasize what I meant by using bump mapping, the image below is a demonstration of the references I'll use to sculpt the models.
2dgkt1s.png

Next month I should have a 3D printer at my disposal to put into works my new armour project!
Thanks for lending me your ears, (eyes really,)

This is ODST-7221 signing off.

Attachments

• bbz37.png
    bbz37.png
    134.2 KB · Views: 2,682
  • 2dgkt1s.png
    2dgkt1s.png
    233.2 KB · Views: 4,144
Hey, this is really cool to see. My build has also been long delayed, and I've lately been looking into 3D printing (but that's not anywhere near possible until I can get my hands on the printers in the Engineering dept's fabrication facility at my university). As far as I know, nobody else has attempted 3D printing an *entire* set of armour. I think I saw a helmet once, and more than a few weapon props, but that's it. I'm not particularly skilled with 3D modeling, though (my only experience is in AutoCAD, and as I recently learned, attempting to model anything remotely irregular, like a mask or helmet, is a real bitch). If I attempted this I'd probably try to print the pepakura models I have with as little modification as possible, and then shape them out in realspace with bondo.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck. Looking forward to seeing what comes off of that 3D printer of yours. Is it a pre-built, or a custom built? What's the print volume, and what kind of plastic are you running through it? So many questions! Godspede!

-Removed (Looks like people doesn't care. I'll just have to my make my own thread about it.)

It's cool to see this thread getting replies.
I've discovered a snag... I made a stupid mistake. for a start, I should make sure the visor hole is in the right place, (look closely at the textured and cut versions you'll see it). The second thing I noticed is that the top of the visor is part of the main geometry.
This time, third time modelling my favourite amour from the HALO universe should go on without a hitch!

What I've got so far [support for a head BEFORE sculpt stage etc.]:
309lgmf.png

I'm just about to start sculpting (although it looks a bit weird in the front elevation, that's just something I'll need to fix.. I'm thinking I'm going to work on a couple of other pieces just for a bit (for my sanity).

Until next time, ODST-7221 signing off.

Attachments

• 309lgmf.png
    309lgmf.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 507
This time, the fourth painfully tedious time I have taken a new approach: Using the texture as a guide to re-topologize and carve the detail.

Below is the semi-finished product!:
2s9dc9f.png

Now! Enough with the helmet... Onto the chest piece!

Until next time...
221 signing off.

Attachments

• 2s9dc9f.png
    2s9dc9f.png
    116.7 KB · Views: 558
Update time!

3D printer is almost confirmed. ETA is sometime after​ 15[SUP]th[/SUP] of April, I've modeled most if not all of the important parts ("I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a mans shoes?") and now I have to play the waiting game.
Full list is:
  • Helmet
  • Chestplate
  • All cod-piece sections
  • All mid sections
  • Shoulder pauldrons

In the meantime, I'll post pics and work on any extras (shins, grieves and knee-pads etc.). For now, just to show how this build is going I made a (crap) work of art:
2w6xgqw.png

Until next time, this is 221, signing off.

2w6xgqw.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What CAD modeling software do you use?

I use Blender. Mostly self taught but I know of a $60 book that taught me some really cool techniques. It's open source and you can get it from here. It's not just CAD either, with it, I made the render that is now my profile picture.

I know this thread is old, but any news on this? Would you be willing to share these files? I would also prefer being able to print the parts, and can only find pepakura files so far.

Well that sucks, this is the only complete, print-ready set of ODST armour I've found :-(
Oh well, back to the wilds of the internets

Well that sucks, this is the only complete, print-ready set of ODST armour I've found :-(
Oh well, back to the wilds of the internets

Well I'm working on a vendor which I'll be launching in the future were I'll be offering kits (Props and Armour) from Halo and Star Wars. So if you can wait awhile, you can either get a kit or the files from me.

That sounds like an amazing offering, I'll be keeping an eye out since an ODST armor was something I've always wanted to pursue and can cater towards my frame.

How could I go about getting the files from you? 3d printing ODST armor is something I've wanted to do for a while now. Finding/making the file for it has easily been the hardest part.

How could I go about getting the files from you? 3d printing ODST armor is something I've wanted to do for a while now. Finding/making the file for it has easily been the hardest part.

PM your email and I'll keep you posted with progress. There's still much I have to do before I can move on to the Halo Projects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back