Reach Mark 5[B] Foam build *WIP*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beck97

First build, How exciting! :D

Prepping for Cardiff ComicCon, I've decided to try my hand at foam craft...

Just to keep things organised things I've made a little progress summary:
PieceCraftedSpackledPrimedPaintedWeathered'Finished'
JFO helmetYY
TorsoY
ODST shoulderYY
Commando shoulderYY
ForearmsYY
Abdomen
BeltY
ThighsYY
ShinsY
BootsY
Y

Now, always loving Halo Reach I thought I could create a variation of Noble Six starting with the torso.

Unbeknown to me what variation I'll end up with I've started work on the basic default armour, hoping to change it up when I get further in.

3 Foam mats and a lot of hot-glue later, this appeared

20150323_195133.jpg

Now, I know there's still a lot of work to be done but for my first time fiddling with foam I don't think I've done too bad :rolleyes
However, there's already a good few niggles that need nipping and tucking >.<

Will be back soon with some updates and, hopefully, get this battle ready within the month!
Or maybe two...

And of course, all C+C welcome as
Being new to the 405th I'd love to get to know some of you guys!

20150323_195133.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks very much, glad to know I'm on the right track :)
And I've heared of the program before and will probably end up downloading it, it's just the case of picking something that doesn't test me too much :p
I have however been rather swayed by the 'Assult/Scout' and 'MP/Base Security' armor variations...

Nice work, jumping straight in the deep end with the chest piece. You'll be surprised how fast you learn to foam

Nice work, jumping straight in the deep end with the chest piece. You'll be surprised how fast you learn to foam
Thanks and I've soon come to realised that...
Supringly though, what I am most dreading is the calf/knee armor, the level of detail seems rather intimidating.
Update: Back of the torso has come along nicely and side reinforcement as well as minor detailing.

Not a bad start at all. Much better then when I started. Keep up the good work,

Thanks for the support guys, means something :)
Won't be many updates over the coming week as I'm currently skiing in Andorra,so will be cracking on as soon as I get back. (I'm getting withdraw symptoms ;) )

Update: Slowly but surely the torso is taking shape with the back nearing completion, however, due to A levels looming on the horizon the project will be put on hold for a few weeks, with minor additions between revision/exams to keep me sane.
Meanwhile Enjoy a picture of me trying the armour for size:D
20150420_193020.jpg

Quick Tip
I know many of you here are way more experienced than me, but still I'd give this a go...
Something I've found useful (for those who use a hot-knife) is scoring a thin line along the edge of a foam piece your looking to bevel before doing so (as seen on a piece of scrap below).

20150420_193408.jpg

For me it creates a nice line to follow without major worry of burning the foam, as well as a clean straight edge.

Update: So the torso is near enough finished, just need to add the small TACPAD thing in the crevice:

So, after creating a horrid burn with the barrel of a hot knife... I decided to play with it and create a kind of plasma burn in the armor, 'popping' it out with hot glue around the edge. Not too sure on it for now, but can always be adjusted later into the project.
20150510_152924.jpg
And from the back:
20150510_153052.jpg

On a different note, is there anywhere you guys can suggest to get plasti-dip on the cheap in the UK, can't find it for anything under £12?

i like that burn mark looks good gives the armor character!
I'm temped (if it's possible) to add a flickering LED where the right torso light should be, to give it a damaged effect. The only problem I see is it would take two power sources one for the constant LED and one for the flickering LED.

Duuuuuude, that flickering LED would be so boss! As long as you'd be okay adding the second power source, I would highly recommend making it that way. Also, I love how you totally owned your mistake and made it a part of your armor. It's stuff like that that really brings suits to life.

Better than led light in the burn. Have the ends of some fiber optic protruding into the hole!

Update: In the small breaks between exams I've managed to finish the biceps and torso :D

20150526_214410.jpg

And they fit nice and snugly without strapping.
20150526_214658.jpg

Now onto the forearms...

Great work so far!

As for your flickering led idea... I had the exact thought last year when I was ordering all of the stuff for my suit. I ended up ordering 10 flickering led's off eBay for a couple bucks, and I'll be able to add one in parallel with my good led's.... providing I get around to wiring my suit soon haha. This will save me from needing a second part source, though. The led does all the work.

Man, that armor's looking sick! I love the plasma burn. Looks really realistic and is the best I've seen of its kind.

I agree with the others - go for a flickering LED. It will ADD.

Great work so far!

As for your flickering led idea... I had the exact thought last year when I was ordering all of the stuff for my suit. I ended up ordering 10 flickering led's off eBay for a couple bucks, and I'll be able to add one in parallel with my good led's.... providing I get around to wiring my suit soon haha. This will save me from needing a second part source, though. The led does all the work.

Thanks very much :)
Sounds like a nice alternative. However after a little web browsing I came across this.
For under £3 it seems to provide an effective solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back