Halo 4 Chief Helmet WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubachris85x

Figured to share some progress so far. This helmet has a significant, very long story behind it. In short, the molds were acquired by Impact Props and was finally able to secure it...with the added functionality of it being in cold cast.

Cold cast for those who are unaware, is the quick and dirty alternate to real metal casting, which of course is very expensive and requires appropriate facilities and equipment. The prop builder's cold casting is still a bit pricier and a bit of a pain in the butt to work with, but the results can be amazing. How it's done is that, depending on the type of metal finish you're needing, you impregnate real metal powder into the resin during the mixing process, so that once the cast is produced, you can start to reveal the metallic sheen of the surface with a mix of high grit sandpaper and fine steel wool (0000 fine). The added bonus is that you can utilize aluminum polish to maximize the shine, as you'll see here

So to the helmet. I'm at the early stages of getting a chief suit produced (commissioning a foam suit build) but this won't be for a few months, but the helmet is a very important part of a costume. If it looks off or just not right, it can completely throw off the suit..so given the history of this helmet, it wasn't easy getting it, but I'm glad I finally did, for more reasons than one.

First thing. I'm a big guy, with a large head. A few years ago, I acquired one of Stony Props H4 helmets. While incredibly nice...it was not going to work out for me:

Bqe56IJ.jpg

So only the full scale replicas will do. I was lucky enough to score one of the visors from Hector off of the facebook page. He had the same helmet as me and did exactly what I had planned to (using the per-existing visor as a form) and he finished it off making a very wonderfully accurate visor!

Before I began

BIW19oc.jpg

Initial test fit of the visor to check for gaps. had to remove some more on the inner nose (already done since these pics)

That's my beard FYI lol

yMSNs9D.jpg

A bit of work after. I began working on the surface and this was the start of me using the aluminum polish. You can see the difference it makes

zbFpDIk.jpg

Now after a few hours of polish of getting almost every nook and cranny. It's very difficult to get it all considering the level of detail, but I'm not complaining

cDiqIpy.jpg

jtt9P9K.jpg

y7Ztauz.jpg

Lovely day

d7J7BPG.jpg

Next step is to start filler work and clean up of the surface details. Has quite a bit of air bubbles that formed in the cast, so gotta take care of it before I can move onto painting!

-TC

Attachments

• Bqe56IJ.jpg
    Bqe56IJ.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 159
  • BIW19oc.jpg
    BIW19oc.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 168
  • yMSNs9D.jpg
    yMSNs9D.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 154
  • y7Ztauz.jpg
    y7Ztauz.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 142
  • jtt9P9K.jpg
    jtt9P9K.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 156
  • cDiqIpy.jpg
    cDiqIpy.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 167
  • zbFpDIk.jpg
    zbFpDIk.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 149
  • d7J7BPG.jpg
    d7J7BPG.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 148
Just something I noticed with my helmet. This detail is not seen throughout most visual reference but is clearly seen during the Halo 4 ending/legendary ending cut-scene. I was deciding if I wanted to grind it off but I think I'll leave it.

Gwz5akb.png

Attachments

• Gwz5akb.png
    Gwz5akb.png
    803.2 KB · Views: 185
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back