Your opinion on Halo-Online

Status
Not open for further replies.

CasualCosplayer

I don´t think anyone made a thread about this, but anyway like the title says - What is your opinion on the "upcoming" Halo-Online?

Well we already know it´s coming to PC (exclusively), it´s "Free2Play", it will have guns/armor/vehicles/maps from all of the Halo games plus they will include some concept guns/armor/vehicles too and currently only russians have access to it.

Well I´am personally quite excited about it to see a new Halo game on PC (I don´t count those twin stick shooters Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike -__- ), but I´am still kinda sceptical about it because we all know how easily it can become a Pay2Win game and all that. Gameplay wise it looks like Halo 3 with a bit of Halo 4 mixed in it, but other than that, it´s pretty much just the Halo 4 multiplayer on PC. It runs pretty smoothly actually considering it´s running on the old Halo 3 engine. It might be running at 60+ FPS judging by some leaked vids made by fans who got into the game. Thanks to our member Chernobyl we already got a glimpse of what the "new" weapons look like http://www.405th.com/f28/halo-online-asset-releases-44445/ and I personally like them! :) I really hope that they become canon actually or maybe they already are and I just don´t know it. xD Yes it´s something new, but they are a breath of fresh air. I don´t know much about the new armor sets and from what I´ve seen on some pictures they just glued a bunch of christmas lights on the armor for no apparent reason except "Because Forerunners!".

Pat-

game wise I like it weapon wise.... lets just say some of the mods or way the mod looks needs to be redefined because the pwr should be ammo not the look of the gun unless its a new kind of pistol then in which its fine. and speaking of forerunners way haven't we seen any leacks of new forerunner weapons, would be cool if they had a forerunner troop based turret you could use, and in the flash back in halo 4 we seen one.

I'm liking the mods to the weapons. It adds a potential for customization of some of the "standard" weapons that are currently available. Otherwise, I do hope that Halo Online will provide a possible addition of the games to play through. Personally, I don't like PvP much.

why haven't we seen any leaks of new forerunner weapons

Most likely because those weapons aren't in this particular build of Halo: Online? We're still missing out on the M6H/RoF variant (which looks like a chrome-polished Halo 3: ODST's M6S) and several variants of the Plasma Rifle and Plasma Pistol - don't get complacent and think that what I've released is everything we have. This is still an alpha/beta release (and a leaked release, at that), and the people working on the game don't yet have access to all pieces of the puzzle. Once the beta officially releases next week, we should know more about what weapons we do and don't have.

That said, I find it unlikely that we'll have access to Forerunner weapons. Nothing I've seen so far seems to suggest that we'll see them.

EDIT: Seems the M6H/RoF variant is in the game, just buried in the code for now.

That said, I find it unlikely that we'll have access to Forerunner weapons. Nothing I've seen so far seems to suggest that we'll see them.

then what is with the werid forerunner like addition on the pistol labeled pwr... forerunner weapons had somewhat powered weapons like the blot shot.

then what is with the werid forerunner like addition on the pistol labeled pwr... forerunner weapons had somewhat powered weapons like the blot shot.

That might be a silencer or an extended barrel (increasing the accuracy?). It doesn´t really look Forerunner.

Pat-

That's an enhancement for the M6H2 that increases the POWER of the weapon. Each projectile weapon in Halo: Online features an upgrade of some description - if you'd read my asset release thread a little more thoroughly you might have seen this.

okay I read it but if I was to test said weapon which of the other addition goes down because its the same way with cod (which is what this is starting to look like.) and that's when you had one guy with a short range high powered gun and a guy with long range and damage mods picnicking off everyone one, if zaff was still here I might agree with this.

okay I read it but if I was to test said weapon which of the other addition goes down because its the same way with cod (which is what this is starting to look like.)

...try rephrasing that, I'm not entirely sure I'm following what you're saying.

and that's when you had one guy with a short range high powered gun and a guy with long range and damage mods picnicking off everyone one,

Each weapon has distinct advantages and disadvantages - for example, the Battle Rifle's DMG variant removes the ability to scope in, and reduces the rate of fire in favour of damage per shot. The Range mod allows the Battle Rifle to scope in twice, but fire only one shot at a time. The Ammo mod allows the user to carry a larger magazine capacity but otherwise doesn't alter firepower statistics.

Swings and roundabouts. There are downsides to taking certain modifications, which can be countered by using other weapons - there will be no one 'god gun' for each user to carry.

if zaff was still here I might agree with this.

But he isn't, and may I add: Zaff was a pillock who didn't know when to stop arguing even after presented with the facts. I have the game, I'm able to make a detailed analysis of what we have on offer right now. Please don't jump to conclusions - ask me questions and have me clarify things before simply saying 'it's going to suck'.

I never said it did... speaking of that "god gun" I'm pretty sure the rocket launcher counts as one and the laser counts as another one kills a squad and the other takes out any thing driveable with one shot. with mods they would be the god weapons.

I never said it did... speaking of that "god gun" I'm pretty sure the rocket launcher counts as one and the laser counts as another one kills a squad and the other takes out any thing driveable with one shot. with mods they would be the god weapons.

That's an issue with modders, not the base game. Most of the mod team has expressed a desire to remove all superfluous items from the game and re-create Halo 3 for the PC.

I can see why modder don't like it could change the game play I mean I won't be mad if they had all the weapon in one game, and if the ars our modded I wouldn't be to fast to say they are because halo reach 32 round mag halo ce 60 round mag but in all I think this game type is going to end up like the halo mmo.

I can see why modder don't like

...you're kidding, right? Modders love this game, they've been ripping it to pieces ever since they got their hands on the beta copy.

I think this game type is going to end up like the halo mmo.

It really isn't. At the worst, you're looking at an expanded version of Halo 4. Consider that, functionally, each weapon in a given class is simply a reskin of other weapons in that class - the DMR is a single-shot Battle Rifle, the Carbine is a reskin of the DMR, the Light Rifle falls somewhere between the Battle Rifle and the DMR. The only 'MMO' qualities this game might tie in with are the requirements to level up to unlock certain gear - which has been a thing in one form or another since Halo 3 - and the notion that armours now feature statistics and grades.

Don't confuse 'MMO' with 'MMORPG'. They're two entirely different things.

I play mmorpg's why don't think I don't hate on skyrim builds I love it that and runescape. but bad to topic okay if they're going to bring some assets of halo three over which I think reach should be in it as well which of vehicle type would get their own class because wheel mans already in place. what I can't seem to get is sure most will push for the top level you can get and then you got guys who don't but their k/d is a lost better, shouldn't their be better class skills for people who like on class over others, and get a lot more customize out of their gear for that class, for instance a sharp shoot class unlocks a new class but doesn't want to use it, so he keeps his class and levels up a few more times and then is given a option to become a veteran sharp shooter which has better mods, and this goes up to elite class which give them a random perk that may give them a limitless camo or +4 mags or something in that line.

We have evidence of :

1) Halo multiplayer balances just fine, even with power weapons, through ammo restrictions.

2) COD multiplayer works reasonably fine with a mod and upgrade system, as far as I've been able to ascertain.

3) This combination of the above has almost certainly already been through an internal alpha for initial coarse balancing and networking (lol MCC) testing.

...So I don't get what could warrant an automatic dismissal.

Halo has always been about balance for everyone and the only differentiating factor being skill, not working toward acquiring unfair advantages, so hopefully that continues.

A far more interesting issue than whether 343i can balance a multiplayer game is the socioeconomic pressures surrounding this release. Whether this will roll out further than second- and third-world countries that can't spring for high-end consoles en masse. Perhaps this is a result of geo stats on the downloading of Spartan Assault/Strike, and like Google's "fiberhoods," this is just Microsoft choosing beta markets by popularity, but given that I'm still holding out hope for a Master Chief back-catalogue for PC (I only care about campaign these days), I'm concerned that this is a console-ation prize (hurhur) for poorer countries with a stockpile of low-power desktops and not a genuine push toward embracing PC markets.

I did get Spartan Assault, and it was surprisingly fun and "Halo-esque", a pleasant ten hour diversion with some story along the lines of Valve's Portal "episodes" for the Half Life series. Hopefully more people gave it a chance so Microsoft don't have a reason to dismiss the power of the PC market.

Time for an update, guess what i played extensively today?

Yup, you guessed it, the open multiplayer alpha of Halo: Online!

Currently, multiplayer is only accessible via LAN, but you're basically supposed to play through the Evolve client, which i did with 16 or so friends. 6 maps are currently in the game, all of which are ported directly from Halo 3. The game itself looks, feels, and plays JUST like Halo 3, the only reasonable difference is the addition of sprint, and that character armor and weapons are replaced with Halo 4 assets.

A lot of things don't yet work, as is to be expected, along with a number of glitches. Forge is more or less functional, although there are issues. You can only spawn assets that have replaced the original Halo 3 assets, i.e. you can spawn a BR or an AR, but not a DMR. The game is very smooth on just about any rig, i was getting a steady 40-50 FPS on most maps, and my rig is moderate at best. As of right now, loadouts are not a feature, but will be added; Currently the only weapon you can spawn with is the BR, which compared to older BRs is a bit less powerful, but a 4-burst kill still seems to be possible, but it's hard to tell if it's 4 or 5 sometimes. Vehicles, especially Wraiths specifically are... Well, they're unstoppable. Two things stop vehicles bigger than a mongoose: A Splaser, or a hijacking. Luckily, a good amount of adjustment to the game modes are possible, and we frequently removed all vehicles, or all but light land vehicles.

The game modes have a lot of good options! About 10 or more, with many variations on them, I.E. CTF and then 2 flag, one flag, etc. Infection seems to be the only majorly broken game mode right now, namely that zombies spawn with BRs too. All the others work perfectly.

The simplest description i can give is that above all, it is literally just Halo 3 for PC. It takes additions like sprint from later games and adds that, which doesnt do much other than speed up the gameplay and enable a speedy exit to a losing fight(but that doesnt always work, hahaha). If you were on the fence, hop off it and join me in the greener pastures. There's currently no money involved in H:O, but it seems looking at it that it's mostly just going to be level expediting, or buying alterations on certain weapons.

It's just a slightly altered Halo 3 for PC.

I don`t really think it will become a "Pay2Win" game, as it`s Halo. An example of a pay2win game would be Blacklight Retribution. But Halo Online does look like it`s going to be a great game. Some people who have managed to get their hands on it have added a patch so that it`s in English, meaning that the devs will mot likely be able to do so, and if they are capable of doing it, then they may possibly release it in America. But that`s just what I think.

Wouldn't mind editing your post to remove the parts about getting the game to work, would you? We don't really support cracking/modding games here on the 405th and we tend discourage the discussion of it, in the hopes that it'll prevent legal complications down the road.

Besides, your links will more than likely be out-of-date by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back