Props Special Prop based on MA5B

Status
Not open for further replies.

quick221

Concept
I've decided on something unique prop-wise to go with my 3D-printed ODST build that I can model while I wait for the 3D printer to arrive.

Basically, it is a smaller, scoped, internally suppressed variant of the MA5B assault rifle. At the moment it's still a concept Idea and it may not pan out but I don't want a simple M7S or an M6C SOCOM.
My initial ideas were outside the box, to the point where it was essentially silenced M932 DMR, I played around with the thought of an under barrel secondary fire etc.

Here is a small teaser of the idea:
nnqw02.png
2i40mf.png

Here's an idea of what it looks like in FP (note how the model isn't finished):
skyv6b.png

Here's a full run down of this weapon is:
Internally suppressed, 60 round magazine (It's the MA5B remember), a red dot sight (may be switched with a scope), 2x and 4x smart-linked scope under the fully rifled barrel and much, much more.

Until next time, this is 221, signing off.

Attachments

• nnqw02.png
    nnqw02.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 498
  • 2i40mf.png
    2i40mf.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 269
  • skyv6b.png
    skyv6b.png
    13 KB · Views: 279
Version 1.0
Update Time!:
14m3ll2.png

The model is scope complete - It's a fully enclosed model. At this point I've moved into developing ideas into this concept which is working factual features/details into the model. The idea of the MA5B SIS-ICWS (Slimline, Internally Suppressed Individual Combat Weapon System) is from the backstory of my ODST character, of which one of his teammates is proficient at engineering and wished to build upon the MA5B and thus, created what you see before you.

Diagram showing mods:
2q1yps8.png

Key:
A1 Represents the lengthened barrel for increased accuracy (far beyond that of the MA5C). A2 is the smart-link scope very similar to that of the M6D magnum of the same era and also a laser-pointer.
B1 is the visible section of the heavily upgraded gas system that operates the rifle (all of the MA5 series rifles are gas operated), the magazine [B2] is supported by the gas system (hence the increased size of the gas system) the reason for the magazine size dropping to 32 was mostly because of the internal spring weakening due to the weight of 60 rounds in it leading to problematic jamming.
C emphasizes the laser dot sight (which, as I say will likely be swapped with a scope like on the BR).
The finger guard (D) was an addition I thought would be useful as it always seemed like a necessity although making it look a bit like a DMR.

The issue I do see at this point is that it is looking a bit too much like the M392 but functionality-wise a key difference is that this thing is full-auto (but perhaps with a slower fire rate than the original Mr. Spray N. Pray [MA5B]). Well, any advice, suggestions or comments are very welcome.

Until next time, This is 221, signing off!

Attachments

• 2q1yps8.png
    2q1yps8.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 269
  • 14m3ll2.png
    14m3ll2.png
    35.8 KB · Views: 303
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one trying to think outside of the box. If I ever finish my ODST, I'm trying to find a weapon that corresponds with both my preferences and my backstory.

M7S? Too lightweight for my tastes. MA5 series rifle? Badass, but not tacticool. Anything Halo 4 or later? Well I'm trying to stay in the Covenant War era and there aren't hard dates on when those weapons started service. I've decided to go with some sort of modified DMR (I prefer the look of the M395 over the M392 but dates, maybe I'll call it an XM395 or XM394) with a holo sight instead of a scope (which would let me get rid of the ammunition counter, if I so desire). And possibly an integrated suppressor (which would let me handwave the flash hider and gas tube).

All of this is theoretically acceptable - the DMR is an established weapon, modifications are an established thing weapons have, and my ODST is supposed to be former Army Airborne and a career engineer. But you can only bend the canon so much before it breaks, and it all depends on what you're comfortable with. There are a lot of weapons out there that are mentioned and not much else - things like the MA5K rifle, a carbine variant of the M6 pistol, MA5 rifles with attached suppressors, etc.. It's really only your internal sense of consistency that stops you.

What I'm saying is, I'm glad to see you don't have the hangups I do and are pursuing what you think best completes your character, which is what it's all about. Your model is looking really good, and I definitely like the thought you've put into it (that can be dangerous, as a lot of the UNSC weapons don't seem internally consistent with things like how far a bolt would have to travel or space for rounds in the magazine). The MA5 series has been in use since the 2430s, and I don't know how Misriah Armory would feel about your modification, but a pared-down and customized variant is definitely the sort of thing I could see an ODST gunsmith doing. I think you've also inspired me to go ahead with my own modified platform (well, when I get to that point), so you've got that going for you.

Are you planning on 3D printing this, as well? Do you know what you're going to do for the optics? (I know you said you might replace it with a BR-series scope, would you be modeling that or putting an actual scope on the rifle?) Any plans to include movement or functionality, or just a static prop? Can't wait to see more.

FoxtrotZero
What I'm saying is, I'm glad to see you don't have the hangups I do and are pursuing what you think best completes your character, which is what it's all about. Your model is looking really good, and I definitely like the thought you've put into it (that can be dangerous, as a lot of the UNSC weapons don't seem internally consistent with things like how far a bolt would have to travel or space for rounds in the magazine). The MA5 series has been in use since the 2430s, and I don't know how Misriah Armory would feel about your modification, but a pared-down and customized variant is definitely the sort of thing I could see an ODST gunsmith doing. I think you've also inspired me to go ahead with my own modified platform (well, when I get to that point), so you've got that going for you.

Thanks! :)

Do you know what you're going to do for the optics? (I know you said you might replace it with a BR-series scope, would you be modeling that or putting an actual scope on the rifle?) Any plans to include movement or functionality, or just a static prop?

Well... As you will see in the render below, I've decided to swap out the Holo-sight in favour of a BR-series (or better) scope. For now there'll be a placeholder until I either get a reasonable bought one or can model one.
Functionality? As of yet the only functionality is a removable magazine (Which I'll print a few of) with a gimmicky bullet-esque structure sticking out of the top, note the magazine hasn't been fully modeled yet.

Render (Note the outlining):
2u7vwn5.png

Updates in 1.2
  • Slightly angled vertical foregrip
  • Square Scope - Tweaking of bullpup stock to compensate

The foregrip was added after a bit of research into foregrips and such leading me to discover that the vertical position of the wrist is much more comfortable (maybe this is why they made the M7S?). The idea of the smart-link scope under the barrel has been scrapped, replaced by a scope which has smart-link functionality (For ODSTs or SPARTANs). The position of the scope was a bit of guess-and-check with reference images of scoped Fabrique Nationale F2000s (which the MA5 series is very similar in shape to but not based on according to Bungie's Robert Mclees).
In the next iteration I plan on putting a slight cowling that sort of wraps around the top to make it look more 'MA5-ish'.

When this prop build is finished I may upload the print-ready .stl (or .obj) files to a dropbox or mediafire for everyone on the forums to use!

Until next time... This is 221, signing off.

Attachments

• 2u7vwn5.png
    2u7vwn5.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 293
I hate to double-post but I couldn't wait any longer to show how the model is going! And, by the way, tinypic doesn't like my mother's office. This means thumbnail links for now.

Here is a side view render of version 1.31!:
Fig9.jpg

The cover over the scope (and the required modifying of the model) was added to give this prop a more MA5 feel as the scope and longer barrel etc. made it seem a bit distant from what this thing is based on.

Here is a pic of the magazine
Fig7.jpg

The round indents (There are some on the other side as well) are for magnets. There are similar indents inside the main prop, I intend to have a few of these magazines handy, so I'd better start practicing my quick reload.

Here is a pic of a new feature:
Fig8.jpg

If you can't tell, that's the bolt. I'm going to start drafting a mechanism that pushes the bolt back upon pressing the trigger.
Yes, I have noticed the bolt should be forward, this was corrected in V 1.32 (Not shown)

I might start thinking about electronics including sound, maybe the magazine completes the electrical circuit and allows it to play a sound. Sound-wise I have an uncle with a silenced .22 caliber rifle which makes a good sound that truly emphasizes that there is no such thing as a 'silencer', no matter how big or small. I may have a flashing light in the barrel as well, although the scope might just be a big facade.

Until next time... 221 signing off...

To draw mechanisms.

Attachments

• Fig9.png
    Fig9.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 409
  • Fig9.jpg
    Fig9.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 213
  • Fig8.jpg
    Fig8.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 284
  • Fig7.jpg
    Fig7.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 247
This is looking great! looking forward to the finished thing!

Thanks Platapus! Me too!

Hey guys, 221 here again for an update!

Version 1.32 is going to be the first version to be made print-ready. It's been so cool to have support from you guys. The next thing I have to do is slice the model, I'm thinking I'll upload it to thingiverse for everyone else to use. When my 3D printer arrives I'll print off this version as a prototype for the sizing and shape of the weapon, either way I'll paint it and make it really pretty.

Now. There was all this talk (typing) about mechanisms and such for sending the bolt back and such. I've got some drafts (please withhold judgement as they were made with little though) of the mechanism. Version 1.4 will be shelled out for aforementioned mechanisms. My most recent idea for the bolt mechanism involves a motor connected to a piston structure as opposed to the load of carp-fish in the images below. Maybe, for simplicity I might create a makeshift vibration motor to simulate a little recoil instead.

28uo30k.png

Overall, mechanisms will be implemented after the initial prototype as I want a convention-appropriate prop by July, even if only a static one. The mechanisms may wait until I've finished my 3D-printed ODST armour.

This hasn't been the prettiest post but regards...
This is 221, signing off!

Attachments

• 28uo30k.png
    28uo30k.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 275
I like the route you're taking with your custom MA5B :D

I'd appreciate it greatly if you posted the finished project onto the thingiverse. This would definitely justify getting/building a 3d printer :DD

Mini-Update!

The Thingiverse upload will still take place as I'm desperate to see what it'd look like printed! I'll slice it into 10x10x10 centimetre blocks, please if you're interested in having one of these, PM me the max print size of your printer and I'll re-slice it just for you! If you do pick up the model and do a build, I want to see it, but I request that you do not make a mold and do casting without my permission.

The good news is, I'm going to do a cardboard build of the MA5B-SIS ICWS!
All progress will be on this very thread.

Mini-Update!

The Thingiverse upload will still take place as I'm desperate to see what it'd look like printed! I'll slice it into 10x10x10 centimetre blocks, please if you're interested in having one of these, PM me the max print size of your printer and I'll re-slice it just for you! If you do pick up the model and do a build, I want to see it, but I request that you do not make a mold and do casting without my permission.

The good news is, I'm going to do a cardboard build of the MA5B-SIS ICWS!
All progress will be on this very thread.

If possible, would you upload the whole model to Thingiverse? I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to slice the model up into smaller sections. I may or may not be gettin the Prusa i3v 12" in the next few monthes... Would love to have the MA5B-SIS ICWS as part of my ODST kit :p

I would upload the whole model but not many people have printers that are big enough print an 80 cm assault rifle in one piece. Do you think you could pm me your e-mail address and I could send you 1) The full model 2) Sliced per the build volume of the prusa i3v 12. The i3v 12 looks like a great printer.

Update!

Hey 405th!

The MA5B slimline, internally suppressed individual combat weapon system is getting a big makeover!

"What do you mean?" I hear no one say?

Well, I loaded up my model and sat it next to an MA5C and figured I'd better use it as a base for V2! Some heavy modifications have already been carried out and there's much more to come. For now, here's what I've already got:
1g2gj.png

One thing I have preserved from version 1.31 is the magazine which fits perfectly in the MA5C model, even without modifications. I still have a lot to do with V2 such as the vertical grip, scope and lastly, the gas system. I'll do a lot more greebling this time around.

Well, that's all for now.
221, signing off.

1g2gj.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back