3D Printing helmets and props

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiden26

Hey guys, so in this post I would like to ask some question about 3D printing armour, Props, and the printers themselves. So first off,

Is there a way to scale models before printing them like in the pepakura software?

I noticed people that print helmets need to modify them so they can take it on and off. Is there a way that I can just slip the helmet on? Or is it based on the design?

I see there's multiple materials to print with. Which one is best for props and armour?

Is it possible to turn Pepakura files into 3D printable files?

Which 3D printers have a large platform? I understand it will cost more but I don't want a ton of parts to glue together.

I'm looking for Halo reach Helmet files along with Marine and ODST? The only helmet I can find is Master Chiefs Halo 4 Helmet.

Hey guys, so in this post I would like to ask some question about 3D printing armour, Props, and the printers themselves. So first off,

Is there a way to scale models before printing them like in the pepakura software?
Yes. Pretty easy to do with any 3d modeling software.

I noticed people that print helmets need to modify them so they can take it on and off. Is there a way that I can just slip the helmet on? Or is it based on the design?
totally based on the design, it would be the same if made with pep or foam. Foam is a bit more forgiving though since it's flexible.

I see there's multiple materials to print with. Which one is best for props and armour?
Probably PLA.

eeeehhhhh... Yes, but it's not easy and it will look really low resolution and require a lot of sculpting after printing to make it look good. You can use the pep file as a base and then heavily (I mean very heavily) modify it to add detail and smooth it but that is a lot of work and you'll need to learn about 3d modeling.

Which 3D printers have a large platform? I understand it will cost more but I don't want a ton of parts to glue together.
There isn't really a printer with a build area large enough to print a full helmet. Most of them with a decently large build plate can print out helmets in, say, quarters though. You should look at a lot more than just build area in choosing a printer though. It will probably require a lot of research if you want to make the best purchase for you.

I'm looking for Halo reach Helmet files along with Marine and ODST? The only helmet I can find is Master Chiefs Halo 4 Helmet.
It's very possible that none for 3d print exist yet.

Yes. Pretty easy to do with any 3d modeling software.

totally based on the design, it would be the same if made with pep or foam. Foam is a bit more forgiving though since it's flexible.

Probably PLA.

eeeehhhhh... Yes, but it's not easy and it will look really low resolution and require a lot of sculpting after printing to make it look good. You can use the pep file as a base and then heavily (I mean very heavily) modify it to add detail and smooth it but that is a lot of work and you'll need to learn about 3d modeling.

There isn't really a printer with a build area large enough to print a full helmet. Most of them with a decently large build plate can print out helmets in, say, quarters though. You should look at a lot more than just build area in choosing a printer though. It will probably require a lot of research if you want to make the best purchase for you.

It's very possible that none for 3d print exist yet.

What if I sent a helmet file to a company that prints for people, and a helmet is a big file, would they break into in to parts them selves and send them in parts or would they have big enough printers?

What if I sent a helmet file to a company that prints for people, and a helmet is a big file, would they break into in to parts them selves and send them in parts or would they have big enough printers?
Depends what company. Most of them that would have a printer with that big of a build area would get insanely expensive and you'd be better of just commissioning a prop builder or something.

I'm also looking into 3D printing armor. I've done a bit of research, and come up with this printer: http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/3d-printer-kits/prusa-12-i3v-kit-v-slot-extrusion.html

The Prusa 12" i3v by MakerFarm. Seems decent. Has a large build area too.

I just did a quote for giggles from shapeways a few days ago ...... Ive scaled King rahl's MC4 armor from thingaverse and got it solid . Shapeways wants $1,225 for the chest alone or about $3,400 for the whole kitchen sink sans helmet.
Plasma pistol was in the 700s!
Ive been making great headway with my build this week ! . so far Ive used 1.5 spools ( at 1KG per spool) on the pink parts and grey in this pic.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5459/17715200661_e7604c789c_c.jpg.

Granted shapeways uses Nylon . but it makes more sense for me to destroy my printers MTBF on this project and buy a new one later then pay shapeways.

My old college uses Prusa's and they love them. ( 200 mm cubed area ).
one is MDF framed . .one is Waterjet cut Al. One is PolyCarb.
Ive got a FF dreamer with a 9,6,6 ish inch bed . its a tad tight but will have to do.
I use ABS 80% of the time so A enclosed heated bed therm stable printer is more important then sheer size for my non cosplay stuff.

PS . If you want to do armor. legs and arms and Long guns are round ish .
A deltabot might be a better Idea.!
IF you are superbold to build one from scratch . there is no reason a scaled up rostock could not do a thigh in one pass!

I agree with Peterthethinker in that ABS is more often than not the best way to print a model. It's stronger and more flexible than PLA, so it can take more of an impact and is more resistant to snapping or breaking from stress put on the prop than PLA is.

Shapeways is ungodly expensive. I have no idea how they stay in business tbh. We seem to consistently charge about 1/3 of what they do on every model I upload, so they must have a ton of overhead.

We utilize two Stacker 3D printers and I would recommend anyone who is serious about 3D printing, and can afford one, should get one. It's an industrial printer that's built like a tank. The build volume is 10 x 18 x 24 with the z-axis extender unit so we can print objects that are 2 feet tall. It helps immensely when printing larger objects such as rifles or body armor.

So, I have no idea what I'm doing. The only exception is that I have a basic idea of uploading the 3D image to a 3D printing site. But, my real question is the size accuracy... is this right? It seems small.

SMG screencap.png

1.15" x 4.75" x 13.75" for the ODST Silenced SMG. Below that it gives options for larger sizes.. but they seem WAY too big.

www.3dhubs.com helps connect you to local people with an available printer. The price is usually set by the user, but quality will vary between printers and operators. You'll have to contact them and discuss the particulars of what you're looking for before you commit to a price.

Hey everyone!
New to the community and trying to start off my first build via 3d printing. I actually am using the Makerfarm Prusa 12". If you are willing to put the hours in building it, it is worth it. You literally have to assemble everything, including some soldering. I'll post some pics soon with what I have ( printing the Satchmo Deadeye). I haven't had any problems yet with PLA. You guys are doing awesome work with the hi poly modeling btw!
Edit: here is what I have. I know it's low poly and trying to learn blender...steep learning curve.

Attachments

• 20151014_211051.jpg
    20151014_211051.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 524
  • 20151014_201551.jpg
    20151014_201551.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 563
thats the Prusa I3 one right? Yes Prusa'a are great open frame machines and are well supported !

good for those large PLA prints.

Yes sir, the Makerfarm i3v Prusa 12". Thought I could be fine with post printing sculpting but, man is it a pain. Tried using Bondo, that is an art and science all in itself. Hopefully a source obj of Halo5 Deadeye pop ups somewhere.

Hey guys,

So I am a very active 3D printer as well as new to the forum. I joined because a friend wants me to 3d print him a full suit. I am also going to offer my services to anyone on here if they need printing done or want printers or materials. I look forward to building great things with you all!
My website is www.exoticdesigns3d.com
facebook business page: www.facebook.com/designsandpainting

Here are some of my 3D prints I have done to show you all my work.

04a377e65ec32a3fe48ca1cd72309a36.jpg
71cd71a0e4f4485ca28e4a2b01730a42.jpg
5a8a1029d358e8cce8cef1f43d47de1c.jpg
5d2d3fc125129df051fa2eedf1d01835.jpg
523d617b07bca8d5999c252a3f8b051e.jpg
eb329d6de25ddee6c73aec834fdce3aa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 04a377e65ec32a3fe48ca1cd72309a36.jpg
    04a377e65ec32a3fe48ca1cd72309a36.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 416
  • 71cd71a0e4f4485ca28e4a2b01730a42.jpg