Cyber Scanning and Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiden26

So I have been doing research for costumes for my small productions Saga, and I have some stuff to talk and ask about. Now we have some people working on CGI and 3D modeling. I was thinking about having obj. files made for the armour and get foam templates from that. But I'm a little worried that scaling the height won't be enough for all the actors. So I was wondering if it would be possible to scan the actors and get 3D images of them, then put and armour model over them and adjust it to their size, then transfer to foam files. Could this work? Or could I follow up the 3D stuff, but have people 3D print the armour (Not PLA or ABS. Maybe resin or something) and then I can mold and cast them in poly foam.

While I'm on the foam topic. How well can you move in a costume made out of EVA? Is it redistricting or is it difficult to run in? And if it has several layers of plasti dip, how much abuse can it take?

that is what they did in foreword unto dawn.

Yep and Deliver hope. I'm just not 100% sure if EVA Foam is the route to take because its a full suit of armour top to bottom. And I see 405th members loosing a bit of mobility woth EVA Armour. Plus poly Foam would be thinner and stunt ready.

I'm actually trying something with armor that might offer both the look of solid armoring, lighter weight, and strength. It's using an impact-resistant plastic epoxy with carbon fiber/kevlar weave rather than normal poly resin and fiberglass. Back it with a little expandable foam and it might be strong enough to stand up to even rolls and falls.

I'm actually trying something with armor that might offer both the look of solid armoring, lighter weight, and strength. It's using an impact-resistant plastic epoxy with carbon fiber/kevlar weave rather than normal poly resin and fiberglass. Back it with a little expandable foam and it might be strong enough to stand up to even rolls and falls.

That actually sounds really cool. Do you have any work that you will be posting anytime soon?

sounds a little like the Trojan armor suit.

So if I was to go the route of 3D printing armour, then I have 2 questions. Would PLA be fine for this type of project and what materials should I use to mold and cast the armour? There's a bunch of different types of poly foam, so I'm not sure which one to go with.

That actually sounds really cool. Do you have any work that you will be posting anytime soon?
sounds a little like the Trojan armor suit.
Yes and yes. I’m still trying to get the proper consistency from the resin. More than likely, I’ll be doing a simple Halo 3 Marine helmet to test this all on. It’s detailed enough to look good and open enough to have good light for any internal failures. I’ll be posting it once I get the materials together and test their compatibility.

So if I was to go the route of 3D printing armour, then I have 2 questions. Would PLA be fine for this type of project and what materials should I use to mold and cast the armour? There's a bunch of different types of poly foam, so I'm not sure which one to go with.
I’d go with ABS. In the end, it will have better detail and won’t bio-degrade.

Yes and yes. I’m still trying to get the proper consistency from the resin. More than likely, I’ll be doing a simple Halo 3 Marine helmet to test this all on. It’s detailed enough to look good and open enough to have good light for any internal failures. I’ll be posting it once I get the materials together and test their compatibility.

Good to know about your work. I found a great 3D printer with a platform of 12"x 12"x 18" with a resolution of 100 microns, only thing is, I'm not sure if it can use ABS. It only mentions PLA. But it could me just being stupid and not realizing it. Check it for yourself http://www.sculpturesupply.com/detail.php?id=800159&sf=searchtext&vl=3d+printer

I looked into more research and found out how bad that printer was lol. I think going with Builder is best. Also would PLA be fine if I'm only going to mold the item? And never need it again.

unless you need more molds of it. because if your making all those suit you might need some spares.

unless you need more molds of it. because if your making all those suit you might need some spares.

Since all suits will be designed for a specific actor, there will only need to be 1 mold. And I think I'm close to figuring out what foam/rubber to use. Some people were able to mail me free samples of cured products.

Im current working on some sheets of HDP plastic for a test project that working on. Are you looking for something that will last? Also you can take a side and front view pics of the actors with are out to the side and then use a program called Makehuman ( http://www.makehuman.org )make a 3d standin to resize the armor around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back