How long does it take to make Pepakura armour (Mid level detail)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darktemplar

Jr Member
I just wanted to know so i can set realistic goals (e.g. Halloween, Conventions etc.)

Mid detail is Low-res chest, thighs, forearms, legs, boots. With high quality Shoulders (CQC and Security) and a high quality helmet (EOD)

So how long will it take to fold, fiberglass, smooth, paint the whole suit?

Well, the answer to that mostly depends on what kind of free time you have. ;)
Agreed

Mine I just finished (to adequate wearable state, going back for more detail etc later, no real undersuit) after approximately 6 months. But that was spending every night after work and most weekends working on it. I just did a quick calculation, apparently I spent over 150 Hours getting sized pepped, resined and slush cast, didn't realise it had been that long :s.
Then I think it was equivalent to another 2-3 working weeks worth of sanding/filling(bondo)/priming etc which I did mainly on weekends or holiday weekends due to required daylight. The actual painting was done over 2 different weekends, I used a spray gun rather than cans, just cause.

Hope that helps to give you an idea, it can sound like an enormous effort but broken up its quite achievable. I don't want to deter you, the end result is really something you can be super proud of.

Yeah, time-wise i have about 10 hours per weekend, 4-5 hours after school to do it. I thought that- considering the variables (Time, materials, Effort) - it would take around 9 months to 1 year to build. ( I learn fast. SCARY fast, plus i have already scaled the armour, and made it fit the A4 page.)

Nice, the scaling can be a bit of a wild card time wise, you can either get it right the first try or make each piece three times. I was lucky and most of my models came from a set so the scale was pretty much the same all over with minor adjustments for my own proportions.

The other thing is once you start it definitely is the kind of thing you learn and improve on quickly. Keep us posted on how you go!

I've been working on my suit for almost a year now. There is no standard time on building. If you build everything correctly your first time it it won't take as long. But there will be mistakes made and you might find yourself rebuilding pieces over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back