Guess I'm back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jongrnl

It's been a long time. I started here while living in a dorm back in 2007 but never got past the pep stage. About two years ago I started on another suit of armor and was able to get all but the helmet hardened but then was hit by a tornado and had to put it away. Recently I found there was a comic con near me next November and that I should just give in and finally finish it. This is going to be a duel thread. I'm going to be posting on my work with the Master Chief Halo 3 helmet but I'm also helping a friend build her first Iron Man suit so expect to see posts from both scattered around here. I got the helmet peped today but I do have a question about it. It looks good as far goes but it is a little too narrow to allow my head in. I could make a new one but I don't want to look like a Master Chief bobble head. Is it normal to widen the helmet after the resin stage or am I better of just starting a new build? This is what I currently have.

IMG_0046.JPG

It's been a long time. I started here while living in a dorm back in 2007 but never got past the pep stage. About two years ago I started on another suit of armor and was able to get all but the helmet hardened but then was hit by a tornado and had to put it away. Recently I found there was a comic con near me next November and that I should just give in and finally finish it. This is going to be a duel thread. I'm going to be posting on my work with the Master Chief Halo 3 helmet but I'm also helping a friend build her first Iron Man suit so expect to see posts from both scattered around here. I got the helmet peped today but I do have a question about it. It looks good as far goes but it is a little too narrow to allow my head in. I could make a new one but I don't want to look like a Master Chief bobble head. Is it normal to widen the helmet after the resin stage or am I better of just starting a new build? This is what I currently have.

View attachment 11455

Generally, on Halo helmets, you want to get rid of the neck seal. Check this thread if you're uncertain about your scaling: http://www.405th.com/f19/halogoddess-how-scale-more-tutorial-31627/

Edit: ALSO! Welcome back to the 405th!

Thanks for both the warm welcome and the good information! That tutorial helped a lot but knowing that the neck seal is taken out helps a lot. I'm hoping that will be enough but I wont know until it's fiber glassed.

Thanks for both the warm welcome and the good information! That tutorial helped a lot but knowing that the neck seal is taken out helps a lot. I'm hoping that will be enough but I wont know until it's fiber glassed.

Glassing will make the helmet shrink a little bit. I wouldn't recommend removing the neck seal before glassing. But, do as you see fit. Before someone else beats me to it, post pics of your progress with your build and your friend's build! :D

It will be interesting to see what happens. This is the first piece I would of ever fiber glassed. All my others were done with hot glue due to me living in a tiny apartment. If it doesn't turn out well I can just make a new one right?

I plan to spend the next week watching all the Marvel movies to get ready for Avengers 2. We'll probably spend a lot of that time trying to get her boot ready. I hope to post about that soon.

It will be interesting to see what happens. This is the first piece I would of ever fiber glassed. All my others were done with hot glue due to me living in a tiny apartment. If it doesn't turn out well I can just make a new one right?

I plan to spend the next week watching all the Marvel movies to get ready for Avengers 2. We'll probably spend a lot of that time trying to get her boot ready. I hope to post about that soon.

Iron Man 3 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier were the best IMHO. The beauty of pep, indeed. Good luck with her build. Can't wait to see your progress! :DD

I have to agree. I think those two are probably the best in the series.

So we got the Iron Man boot done a day or two ago but we did not make it big enough. I tried to make it a little bigger then one of her shoes but the Iron Man boot is like a boot in a boot. It's a weird but it looks amazing and she did a really good job for this being her first pep. It was more difficult then I expected though. I thought the boot was going to be an easy piece but it's 4 pieces and has some of the smallest little pep parts I've ever seen. She's working on the helmet now. I'm excited to see how that turns out.
IMG_0051.JPG

Now I've wanted to start fiber glassing my helmet already but we get a lot of rain here in Oklahoma and it can come out of nowhere some times. The weather says that it might be clear over the next few days so I'm hoping I can get started soon.
IMG_0047.JPG
It's a little warped but I'm hoping I can correct some of that during the fiber glassing stage and then iron out the rest with Bondo. I also found a dishwasher discharge hose I plan to use for the vents of the side of his face. I cut one out to try and look at it and I think it works fine! I've gone ahead and cut out a few slits in areas where the plastic is thin in hopes that it will actually allow some air flow. I'm hoping to install a fan over the vents so they can help pull in some fresh air from the outside.
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG

Now question time! How ridged does resin make the pep? Is it flexable enough that I have to worry about warping while I take the supports out or is it strong enough to hold it's shape fairly well?

Attachments

• IMG_0049.JPG
    IMG_0049.JPG
    827.7 KB · Views: 320
I have to agree. I think those two are probably the best in the series.

So we got the Iron Man boot done a day or two ago but we did not make it big enough. I tried to make it a little bigger then one of her shoes but the Iron Man boot is like a boot in a boot. It's a weird but it looks amazing and she did a really good job for this being her first pep. It was more difficult then I expected though. I thought the boot was going to be an easy piece but it's 4 pieces and has some of the smallest little pep parts I've ever seen. She's working on the helmet now. I'm excited to see how that turns out.
View attachment 11565

Now I've wanted to start fiber glassing my helmet already but we get a lot of rain here in Oklahoma and it can come out of nowhere some times. The weather says that it might be clear over the next few days so I'm hoping I can get started soon.
View attachment 11567
It's a little warped but I'm hoping I can correct some of that during the fiber glassing stage and then iron out the rest with Bondo. I also found a dishwasher discharge hose I plan to use for the vents of the side of his face. I cut one out to try and look at it and I think it works fine! I've gone ahead and cut out a few slits in areas where the plastic is thin in hopes that it will actually allow some air flow. I'm hoping to install a fan over the vents so they can help pull in some fresh air from the outside.
View attachment 11570
View attachment 11573

Now question time! How ridged does resin make the pep? Is it flexable enough that I have to worry about warping while I take the supports out or is it strong enough to hold it's shape fairly well?

Looks good! I hear you on the smallest pep pieces possible, major pains to deal with (don't get me started on the like, one millimeter by five millimeter tabs, those kill me). About the resin, I wouldn't worry too much. If you're too worried about it warping, resin it in sections. Like, resin the brim, then resin the top of the helmet, then work your way to the neck seal. Honestly, after resin, the helmet will still be flexible. Not as flexible as without resin, but still pretty flexible. the fiberglass cloth/mat is what adds rigidity and strength. Nice use of the discharge hose! :D

Can't wait to see how the Iron Man helmet turns out! :D

I'm hoping we can get her helmet done in the next few weeks. It's a cool piece and will be a good motivator for her to keep working on the rest of it. I'm glad I found that hose. I've been looking for something for a while but nothing made me happy. I'm glad something finally worked.

So I finally got around to fiber glassing the helmet and I would like everybody's opinion. I haven't been able to get to the visor. I'm hoping to do that Monday.

IMG_0056.JPG

The spot in the middle looks like an air bubble but I swear when I was placing the fiberglass there I couldn't get it to go away or even change shape so I don't know what that is. How bad are small air bubbles? Should I add a second layer?

So I finally got around to fiber glassing the helmet and I would like everybody's opinion. I haven't been able to get to the visor. I'm hoping to do that Monday.

View attachment 11713

The spot in the middle looks like an air bubble but I swear when I was placing the fiberglass there I couldn't get it to go away or even change shape so I don't know what that is. How bad are small air bubbles? Should I add a second layer?

That is definitely an air bubble... Best beat would be to like, cut a hole in that glass, and then get some resin in there to fill that gap.

So I wouldn't need to remove that section of glass and add another layer, just fill it with resin?

So I wouldn't need to remove that section of glass and add another layer, just fill it with resin?

I suppose, you could remove that section of glass. But, in my opinion, that's a little too risky. But yeah, if I was in your position (and I have), just cut a hole or two in it, and get some resin in there.

Hu, not going to lie, I was expecting worse news. I wasn't able to get to the brim anyway so I should (hopefully) be able to take care of all that in one sweep.

Hu, not going to lie, I was expecting worse news. I wasn't able to get to the brim anyway so I should (hopefully) be able to take care of all that in one sweep.

Yeah. Glassing the inside of the brim is a PITA. I know this well:
DSCN1771.JPG

I rushed out yesterday to try and fix those air bubbles and add on a second layer of fiber glass. I feel like it's a success! I would love to go out and start to sand and bondo the thing but the seven day forecast is filled with nothing but rain. I have my chest piece printed off and may just work on that for the next week instead.

On a different note, my friend finished her Iron Man helmet the other day and I feel did a really good job! I think her pep work might be cleaner then mine... However, I measured her helmet about 10cm too big.
IMG_0057.JPG

Ok, after surviving Tigernado and a month of rain (over 20in in total) it has finally dried off enough to do a little bit of work on my armor with out sinking into the ground. I bought some automotive primer and gave it a light coat. It does look a lot better with a singe coat of primer on it but all the bumps and dips showed up. I'm hoping to get to sanding down some of the high areas this week and then, with luck, bondoing it next week. I'm excited to see how it looks when it's finished!
IMG_0073.JPGIMG_0074.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back