weapon help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeek Bartling

Hi im a pretty new prop maker curently working on a set of armor and playing around with pepakura but what i really want to be doing at the time is working on a halo weapon
i just dont know the best method of making them and reallyyyyy need advice / help i made a pep magnum that didnt look good enugh for me and a plasma pistol and smg and i
just dont like em so i would love you forever if you could help is any way

Hiperion.

Hi im a pretty new prop maker curently working on a set of armor and playing around with pepakura but what i really want to be doing at the time is working on a halo weapon
i just dont know the best method of making them and reallyyyyy need advice / help i made a pep magnum that didnt look good enugh for me and a plasma pistol and smg and i
just dont like em so i would love you forever if you could help is any way

Hiperion.

What method did you use to make your plasma pistol, magnum, and SMG? If you're good with wood working tools, I'd recommend you make them out of wood. You could use card board to make them. Then there's good old Pep and foam. In Any event, I'd recommend you find line art of the weapon you want to build, or print out the sliced Pepakura weapons to use as like jigs to cut out the cardboard/wood/foam so it is a little better detailed.

TheUX31EGuy there just pepakura models i had about 3.5 years in construction so im meh with woodwork but im open to anything i guess i can try but a bit limitade on wood tools. lol i did all the reserch a man can do on molding and casting and reallizes i hav no gun worth molding

Last edited by a moderator:
You have four options:

1) Traditional scratch-modelling- this is the route I went, it's not the easiest since it relies on traditional artist techniques of carpentry and sculpting, but it'll probably give you the most accurate result of the hand-building techniques.

2) Slicing- the quick'n'dirty method of getting a pretty good looking gun together in fairly short order, but it's not particularly accurate close up. Can use wood, foam or cardboard for this method, so it can be cheap as well.

3) Pep- the most accurate method for those without traditional modelling skills, or without a workshop to mess up, but requires just as much patience, attention to detail and finger dexterity as traditional modelling.

4) CNC- table routing, laser cutting, 3D printing... You're gonna spend most of your time in front of the computer, though there'll still be plenty of pep-style finishing work and you'd better be a whiz with 2D and 3D vectors. This seems easy, but it's not particularly.

None of these are a substitute for skills and experience though. Pick one and work on technique rather than racing toward a finished item. By the time you've built 20 pep Magnums (for example), your last one will be ready to run with.

You have four options:

1) Traditional scratch-modelling- this is the route I went, it's not the easiest since it relies on traditional artist techniques of carpentry and sculpting, but it'll probably give you the most accurate result of the hand-building techniques.

2) Slicing- the quick'n'dirty method of getting a pretty good looking gun together in fairly short order, but it's not particularly accurate close up. Can use wood, foam or cardboard for this method, so it can be cheap as well.

3) Pep- the most accurate method for those without traditional modelling skills, or without a workshop to mess up, but requires just as much patience, attention to detail and finger dexterity as traditional modelling.

4) CNC- table routing, laser cutting, 3D printing... You're gonna spend most of your time in front of the computer, though there'll still be plenty of pep-style finishing work and you'd better be a whiz with 2D and 3D vectors. This seems easy, but it's not particularly.

None of these are a substitute for skills and experience though. Pick one and work on technique rather than racing toward a finished item. By the time you've built 20 pep Magnums (for example), your last one will be ready to run with.

+1 for what RobTC said.

thats a good example. you guys are awsome. in that case is there a more HD pep magnum thats up for download? mine was big bulky and didnt really have any detail at all

Howdy!
Sorry to hear the other files didn't turn out to your liking, perhaps this is different from the one you tried? It's the reach magnum, I didn't see you mention which variant you preferred but i think this has a nice balance between detail and ease-of-construction.

If you had a more specific variant in mind please specify and I'm sure myself or someone can help dig it out of the woodwork :thumbsup

Attachments

• M6b reach.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 150
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back