First timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

crusinsx

G'day long time lurker first time poster. Iv been reading about pepakura for a long time now and thought I'd give it a shot but with foam.
After a ton of reading and video watching it was time to give it a crack.
First time working with foam or anything craft related. It's been a long day but Iv managed to put together a bit of the mark vi helmet. Just wanted some opinions on my progress thus far. It's been a lot of head scratching, finger burning and swearing but I think for my first time it's come out "ok".
Any negative or positive opinions will be appreciated. Any advice would be appriciated too. Iv enjoyed every minute of working with foam and am hoping to make much much more.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    859.1 KB · Views: 295
That looks great for your first time! Never done foam, so I couldn't possible give any advice. But keep up the good work, you're doing great!

Looks good. I too have not worked with foam (yet). Will try on a later build. Keep it up, can t wait to see more pics.

Small update, got a little bit more done on the helmet. To change things up a bit and have a break from the helmet I decided to start the chest today. Got a fair bit done for 1 day. image.jpgimage.jpg

Looking extremely good. There are a lot of benefits using foam.

Correct me if im wrong, but from what ive learned. Its better to have a resin armor, as foam will deteriorate, or look less of what it does over time..

Correct me if im wrong, but from what ive learned. Its better to have a resin armor, as foam will deteriorate, or look less of what it does over time..

uhh, well that depends on a bunch of circumstances, not least of which being quality of construction. If you bond it well, seal it right and take time with the paint, then it can/will hold up well over time. Foam is just much more likely to show surface wear in high contact areas, but it won'y simply 'deteriorate' over time. I might just not really be sure what you mean by that, but I've heard horror stories about both types of suits falling apart when they are worn hard. I think the best course of preservation is to make sure everything fits right and that you remain conscious of you bodily movements while in gear.

So the cod piece is done ready for Plasti dip
image.jpgimage.jpg
The chest has been Plasti dipped but need a few more details still
image.jpgimage.jpg
As for the helmets i decided to ditch the foam n go with pep instead
image.jpg
Thanks for the kind words !

Ok so no more foam stuff yet. Iv built the thighs twice now and thanks to years and years of training n weight lifting, it's a pain to get the thighs to fit... So 3rd time hopefully. So if been doing some work to the helmet. Man I'm sick of body filler!!! Fill, sand n repeat... What a pain!!! image.jpg
image.jpg
One sides got a bit of work done n the other side hasn't been touched.

So waiting for more foam to arrive so I started some painting, hot the chest, thighs, shins, cod all painted with a little detail work and a coat of clear.
I will admit it, I am not the best painter but for my first attempt I think they came out pretty good.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

A quick test fit for the parts that are done so far. Am happy with my first ever attempt at building. Hoping to get it all built for halo 5 launch!
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

So finally finished the bondo work and got a coat of primer on. I'm pretty happy with the outcome, it could use a bit more work but I think I'm at my end of my skill level.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

It looks good. And its a first build. Hopefully It will not be your last build. And your skills will get better if you keep building.

Cheers mate. Defiantly going to be a second build but not sure what it's going to be. Once the suit is done, weapons will be next!

Big update :) image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
So the helmet is almost done just the side vents and fans to put in. Looking at a mic and speaker setup too. The gloves are finished. Iv also got the shoulders done just need strapping to do there. Just got the forearms to go. Getting so close and excited!

Excellent work so far! Looking really great. How many hours would you estimate that you have in?

Thank you! Hard to say, it's been around 3-4 months since I started. I usually work on it on the weekends and sometimes after work. But if I had to guess I'd say around 40hrs on the helmet and 50hrs on the armour with 1 forearm to go. That's including all the mistakes and sizing issues. It's all been a learning curve so it takes longer to start with. But Iv enjoyed every minute of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back