Soft Parts Easy hex pattern neck seal based on Blue Realm pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmflex

I am no good at sewing, so I decided to try something a bit different for my neck seal.

I bought some 2mm Aero-Mat to use as material since it already has a hex pattern.
http://www.acpsales.com/Aero-Mat.html

I used the neck seal pattern from Blue Realm Studios as a template.
http://www.bluerealmstudios.com/2009/09/02/chief-underwear/

I then traced the neck seal pattern on to the Aero-Mat and cut them out. (#7 is a duplicate BTW. No idea how that happened)
AD4F242C-7E26-4885-9894-7308CB3C3559.jpg

After I cut them out I hit them with some Plastidip.

I then glued the pieces together using webbing as backing except for the last seam. For that I used Velcro on both sides with another piece to hold it all together.

097D8F81-BE81-4C0B-9FCB-0F21BEFB049A.jpg

It ended up being a bit of a mashup between the Halo 3 neck seal and Halo 4 hex undersuit.
This is a pretty snug fit, so if you have a bigger neck you'll need to leave some space between the panels are make the straight panels in front and back a bit wider.

BCC6DF46-B351-4BE3-9E92-5E9EEB11AA14.jpg

AD4F242C-7E26-4885-9894-7308CB3C3559.jpg

097D8F81-BE81-4C0B-9FCB-0F21BEFB049A.jpg

BCC6DF46-B351-4BE3-9E92-5E9EEB11AA14.jpg

I did sew some Velcro on my undersuit to hold up the shoulders. I hated every minute of it and it looks terrible. Fortunately nobody will see it.

It's fairly flexible, but I don't think you could make an entire suit out of it. You could probably add it to an undersuit in strategic locations to create the effect of a complete suit though.

Do you have a link for the pattern?
In the OP it seems as though you have used the link for the product you used twice.

Btw, I totally love this!

How stiff is that material though? You think you can make the rest of the body suit out of it?
I've actually just figured out a pretty quick and cheap way to get a hexagon pattern on foam.
Just posted it in my build thread. Check it out, I have it linked in my signature.

Both links are still the same gm. Awesome work on this though. I really like the look! :D

gmflex In the advanced editor, select the second link and click the "Unlink" button. That will remove the bad url and force it to reset to where it's supposed to be going.

Last edited by a moderator:
This probably seems like a silly question, but how did you scale the pattern for printing?

Very cool, maybe I'll have to add this to my suit for SDCC. On a side note, what did you use for the visor hex pattern? Thanks for sharing!

This probably seems like a silly question, but how did you scale the pattern for printing?
Not a silly question. I remember having to fiddle with the printing format a few times. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I had to do.

Very cool, maybe I'll have to add this to my suit for SDCC. On a side note, what did you use for the visor hex pattern? Thanks for sharing!
I used this sticker sheet http://bd15decals.com/collections/frontpage/products/a4-size-hex-sheet
Stick to visor material, remove the sticker material surround the hex stickers then spray with color of your choice. I ended up using a matte clear coat instead of color.
After it dries, peel off the hex stickers. Use a hobby knife, as fingernails just end up damaging the paint or leaving greasy fingerprints.

I didn't end up using this file, but I took the one that I did use into Illustrator and printed it from there. It was already scaled correctly, just needed a program to open it up with. Totally forgot that I could use Illustrator for that, lol. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back