Props Marine Variant M6G Magnum (Halo 3 era)

Status
Not open for further replies.

quick221

Hey 405th!

I had nothing to do today so I thought I'd try a cardboard prop build, BEST IDEA EVER!

First off, I have to thank WisardOfFlight for the amazing magnum blueprint. Sorry for the obscenely large pics, my new phone's camera is better than I anticipated. This build was made with cardboard and a lot of masking tape. I have yet to seal it and paint it etc. but I still think it looks pretty good (*modesty*).

PHOTOS:
34npcme.jpg

Here is the print out I used for pretty much the whole structure. I had to upscale it by about 2x. It's not 1:1 but any bigger is too big for my tiny hands >.<

2z8sop5.jpg

This one shows the magnum about a third of the way through, I hadn't built the magazine at this point.

2cyjlf9.jpg

This pic shows my M6G as it currently is, as I said before it still needs painting etc.

So. This was my foray into not only cardboard prop builds but prop builds in general. I've been posing with this unpainted lump of tape and cardboard for a good hour. Feel free to critique my methods and please, I beg of you, tell me how I'm supposed to seal up all this thing!

Until next time,
This is 221, signing off

Attachments

• 34npcme.jpg
    34npcme.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 951
  • 2z8sop5.jpg
    2z8sop5.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 392
  • 2cyjlf9.jpg
    2cyjlf9.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 429
Looking good there! will that be coming to Armageddon?
As for sealing it, I havnt done anything like this before, but possibly wrap it in paper tape and paint with under coat?
I am working hard on getting my suit done by Armageddon, and hope to see you, and it, there.
Good luck,
Platy

So. This was my foray into not only cardboard prop builds but prop builds in general. I've been posing with this unpainted lump of tape and cardboard for a good hour. Feel free to critique my methods and please, I beg of you, tell me how I'm supposed to seal up all this thing!

Hey there,
Let me start by saying that you're off to a good start for making a good cardboard prop. You've got the gist of layering templates, and you know how to modify things to get the magazine in there as well. That said (and this will definitely sound awful), I would recommend restarting the pistol. If you want a really long lasting prop that you can take to cons and trust to get knocked around a little; tape won't cut it as the medium for holding your prop together. I would recommend using a hot glue gun to get those pieces together and then use diluted wood glue to "seal" and harden the cardboard. You could then use bondo to add the fine details to the outside (there are a lot of tutorials floating around on this which are made by people far more skilled than I). That would be my advice, you're off to a great start. Best of luck on your build.

-S323

It's cool to see people replying to this thread.

First off, I'd like to thank S323 for all the tips. By the way, I was never thinking of using tape as the medium. Recently I've been applying plaster to the Magnum as a test, works much like I've seen Bondo.

I have thought of restarting it as the pistol is a bit lopsided since I temporarily gave it a working slider. So I'll go forward with that idea, maybe even the do the army variant M6G.

And, Platy, I'll be taking some manner of bawesome M6G to Armageddon.

Work will be a bit slow because we've had a power cut and we're moving in 3 weeks.

221 signing off,

P.S. 45 DAYS UNTIL DEADLINE!

Nice work, Quick! If you do decide to make another one, why not give craft foam and hot glue a try? It makes for a light, durable, inexpensive prop, and you use the same layering methods as cardboard.

Hey I also started to make my own out of cardboard I just started cutting and layering it together. Tell me what you think it isn't finished yet.
100_0140.JPG
100_0139.JPG

Hey I also started to make my own out of cardboard I just started cutting and layering it together. Tell me what you think it isn't finished yet.

Sorry for the late reply, it looks good! I can't wait to see more of it. Got a forum thread?
Hey 405th!

It has been quite a while since I posted anything on forums recently, let alone anything on this thread. Now, last post (I think) I mentioned starting anew. Today, I got my screen covered in glue to trace over WizardOfLight's amazing blueprint. Then I started sketching out the layers and then tracing them using the ink trace as a master. This Magnum will be 8 layers of cardboard thick with the mag coming in at around 4. The previous was about half as thick, with the mag being about 2 layers thick. If I get enough time tomorrow I'll get it cut out and maybe make a render of what I hope the finished product will look like.

22feac.jpg

That'll be all for now, so I'll be off to bed.

221, signing off.

P.S. I have a new deadline! I couldn't make the previous one as moving kinda messed things up, I've had to restart EVERYTHING. New deadline is: Friday, the 23[SUP]rd [/SUP]of October (1 month, 20 days and 21 hours away as of this post)

22feac.jpg

22feac.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a good start. Just a little comment, though - the magazine slot on your plans looks a little too long to be practical, assuming its 1:1 scale.

New deadline is: Friday, the 23[SUP]rd [/SUP]of October
Hmmm... seems suspiciously like the opening day of Armageddon... :thumbsup

Looks like a good start. Just a little comment, though - the magazine slot on your plans looks a little too long to be practical, assuming its 1:1 scale.

Hmmm... seems suspiciously like the opening day of Armageddon... :thumbsup

Those plans were a draft but the thanks for the feedback!

And, yes, October 23[SUP]rd[/SUP]​ is the opening day for the Auckland Armageddon Expo ;3

Update!

I would upload pictures of my progress but alas my phone's SD card has died and I can't take more photos because I'm away from my home for a few days. If I see fit, I'll edit the post and put in photos.

Anyway...
Using the the layers I made based on the plans, (again, sorry for no pics) I cut all the layers out of cardboard and worked on sticking them together but stopped to work on a magazine. Ultimately, work halted when I realized I had no magnets to hold the mag in, so for the next two days I searched and searched, rifling through packed boxes. It was then I remembered something, speakers contain magnets.

Upon this realization, I seized my old, broken headphones and pulled open the speakers to find the perfect size magnets. Problem solved! Work continued and I sealed up the mag and about half of the Magnum itself before I left.

My thoughts so far: The scaling is good, it holds it's structure well and I can't wait to have at least one prop for October.

P.S. I have a surprise in store for when I can take photos again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back