halo Mk V [B] helmet wip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetro

Jr Member
hi guys! a while ago I started my own build, the sstandard Mk V helmet from halo reach. as it's my first project I've dealt with moments of pure self confidence, and moments of "I just should throw it away" and stuf (see attachments, I totally forgot how to put pics in the thread...) tomorow I'll start pouring silicone on this thing, any advices, before I risk months of work? (yeah I'm quite slow compared to some -most- of you) thanks for reading, and any advice would be welcome!
10533759_758061260923341_5946848583439476991_n.jpg10649704_778327012230099_7237952046203617779_n.jpg11074306_800483663361368_3718028017969737593_o.jpg11181784_808241582585576_5628950309737430971_o.jpgP1000812.JPG

Looks good so far! Don't worry about being slow most of us tend to take months even years to do these builds. Mind if I ask what file you used? I'm in the process of building and ODST suit but I tend to get side tracked on other projects.

First coat of silicone applied!
P1000815.JPG
this silicone's actually quite a pain, it's a 24h demold, so between each coat I have to wait nearly a full day..
I was planning on showing the result for a 3D animation school I got an interview with next week, but at this rate I may have nothing but my draws to show..

thanks!
basically I took 5 days to do the pepakura, 4 or 5 month of bondo and sanding over and over again.
I bought plastiline to make the final details, things I didn't manage to get with the pepakura model or the filler thing.
oh and also a lot of game refs, to be sure I didn't screw up things by choosing a bad file or folding on the wrong angle..

I just applied the second silicone layer, I hope I won't screw it all!

EDIT: silicone is taking WAY too much time to cure... I hope it will otherwise it's months of work gone and wasted

nah the shape wouldn't fit, I'm planning on building a vacuum forming machine with my father, so I'll be able to make a visor that would fit perfectly.
Harrison Krix from Volpin props made one and let the plans on his site, so I might use his plans as a base

(for the silicone I was affraid it wouldn't cure but It's actually on it's way, so I'm quite rassured, I'm planning on buying some smooth on dragon skin silicone, it'll be much better than my 24h demold silicone.
Plus I'll be sure I could add thickener because if I go layer by layer I'll take an eternity...)

So yesterday as I was waiting for my silicone to cure I decided I should build something out of foam, because I just discovered it and I find it actually quite fun, so I made a halo reach armor's forearm
P1000826.JPGP1000828.JPGP1000829.JPG

ohw.....
so, your plan just the helmet from plastic
and the other from foam

did not mean arrogant
mine 95% made of the foam (this profile picture)
just visor from plastic:D hehe

but i wonder i can make from plastic too

the helmet I was actually thinking of making many, and sell them on the cheap to cover all the money I spend on it.
And the full armor it wasn't planned until I found a single piece made out of resin would cost me in the $50 to produce one, when it's about $4 in foam.

So as yesterday I couldn't find a simple way to thicken silicone, I just decided to use hardware store's silicone, which is usually to make joints in a bathroom or so.
P1000833.JPGP1000832.JPG
I'm not sure it's the best idea ever, but I'm running out of time..
so I'm hoping it works..

Today I'll make the mothermold out of plaster bands/strips I should have put keys but they didn't cure overnight, hopefully I made some other out of my first silicone, I hope I'll have the time.
I'm crossing my fingers for this cheap solution to work...

thanks! and yeah I think it worked pretty well, but we'll see at the demold part if it can handle it.

for now I just made a mother mold, I know it's not wise but running out of time I decided to go without keys I made, that didn't cure.
P1000843.JPG

I'm thinking about using a compressor to blow air between it and the mold, so I can take it out easily.
I hope I can finish that today

Edit: Ok mothermold is going well, I'm reinforcing it and then I can pull the model out, and start slush casting!

Edit 2: Mothermold is failed, plastered bands are not stiff enough, I'm doing it out of resin and fiberglass, that's something I trust

so as you know my first mothermold is quite a mess, I decided to make another out of fiberglass, and it's turning out better
sad thing is the mold it too wobbly so the casts won't look very good... soà I might make only two.
and use one as a base for a better mold

anyway here's the pic of the progress: P1000850.JPG

as you can guess since there's no update since 3 months, my plan went terribly bad. the silicone layer was too thin, the mothermold too wobly, and my resin was like the worst I could ever find, curing in 24h or more
it destroyed the details on the helmet, but at least I still got the base
I'm thnking about either buying the apropriate stuff, like smoothon dragonskin and some real molding resin, or making a whole new project from the start but without molding process for now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back