Journey of EVA foam Master Chief VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

PurpleRogue

This will be a journey, one of many victories and many more losses and possibly my greatest challenge of patience, but it will be worth it all in the end when I see all 3 of my kids in their customized Master Chief Mark VI armor. I am also making the older two (almost 9 and 6) partake in whatever capacity they can because I want them to understand the commitment and dedication it will take to finish them. I homeschool so we got a bit of extra time I can allot to it.

One thing that excited them was the colour scheme and when they finally realized the possibilities of colour variations and combinations they went ballistic. I was talking with my friend LongshotX when he suggested to save time on painting I could always buy foam the colour the kids want. Best advice ever, we went out today and let the kids pick out their colours…here they are

11194455_10155473475140005_8826526405907474397_o.jpg
Longshot-X was a huge inspiration for them and me and since I created a Cortana Cosplay, as seen in my avatar pic, and got a really good response (getting casted Cortana in the mash up Galactic Battles and my littlest one sees a picture of any cortana and says "mommy cortana", makes me pretty happy ), I wanted to go the next step further and make my own armor. I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to try on Longshot-X and it was incredible (as seen in my profile pic), truly a work of art as to how functional it was made. But my personal build will be in a different thread. This thread is for the EVA foam Mini Master Chiefs I am making for the kidlets so everyone can follow along, share their experiences and laugh at my mistakes .

Here are their artistic visions thus far :)
11187254_10155473536595005_3073556434304598021_o.jpg

11194455_10155473475140005_8826526405907474397_o.jpg

11187254_10155473536595005_3073556434304598021_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
look forward to seeing the progress, i followed DFT (da frontlinetrooper) on facebook and youtube for my first build with foam. he doesnt have a spartan build tutorial just an odst but the way he did it made it real easy for a beginner like me lol. just for a different way on how to craft the foam you can check it out.

look forward to seeing the progress, i followed DFT (da frontlinetrooper) on facebook and youtube for my first build with foam. he doesnt have a spartan build tutorial just an odst but the way he did it made it real easy for a beginner like me lol. just for a different way on how to craft the foam you can check it out.

Thanks I will check it out!

image.jpgAlright this is my organizing method. Right now we are working on just the paper version of the chest piece for my eldest to see if we have sized and scaled properly. We have been working for the last 3 hours with only a lunch break so now it's time to get the kids out on the bike and do something else. And of course, working straight is relative to kids attention spans and me trying to make sure everyone has a job.

I think that is an awesome thing to do for your kids. They will love being a character in a real costume.

I think that is an awesome thing to do for your kids. They will love being a character in a real costume.

Yeah they are pumped, as this is not exactly child friendly with super sharp carving tools and intricate detail cutting, finding them each a job has been tricky but I am trying to make sure they learn first hand how much work this is going to be. So they appreciate and respect their suite.

That's freakin adorable! I love their color schemes! XD Can't wait to see the progress on this!
Thanks! My kids are awesome and are pretty dedicated to see this through. We sat and watched all of Da Frontline Trooper's YouTube videos so they are empowered with knowledge and ideas to help me through the process. The two older ones anyways, the 3 year old was off playing with their skylanders figurines :p but she's a great cheerleader :D

hopefully those tutorial vids helped you out with a different approach to the project, while it may not be a spartan at least its a different take on it! looking forward to seeing the progress!

Okay....small update, I did about an hour of pepping today because I want to see if it will fit them first. Here is how it's looking.
image.jpgDoes this look right? I think I'm doing it right.

Doing the foam in color without painting and having them pick their own colors is going to be fun. That pic of each of them with their foam does a great job at conveying their excitement with this project. I predict you're going to get all 3 of your costumes completely done before I'm done just pepping mine!

Doing the foam in color without painting and having them pick their own colors is going to be fun. That pic of each of them with their foam does a great job at conveying their excitement with this project. I predict you're going to get all 3 of your costumes completely done before I'm done just pepping mine!

My kids are awesome little geeks and I can't wait to see them in all the get up, but I will have to wait cause it's gonna take me a while :). We will see, I still don't fully understand how one takes the original pep files and create the Eva pattern...they don't connect. Pepakura is bent around....makes me think I will have to pep them all first then use scissors to cut it out. I don't really wanna do that but yeah.

Correcting myself! lol A friend just sent me youtube videos from Spacemeat The Cosplay and he has EXCELLENT videos with step by step on how he creates his patterns for foam. I'm going to have to play with Pepakura designer a little tonight and get rid of all the stuff I DON'T need :)
My kids are awesome little geeks and I can't wait to see them in all the get up, but I will have to wait cause it's gonna take me a while :). We will see, I still don't fully understand how one takes the original pep files and create the Eva pattern...they don't connect. Pepakura is bent around....makes me think I will have to pep them all first then use scissors to cut it out. I don't really wanna do that but yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back