Donut / MC 3D printed ABS Halo 4 Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterthethinker

Member DIN
S386
Oh Boy! here it goes !
SO a few months ago I was challenged to do some thing Mad with my printer.

First ,A little background . I am a EE/ inventor whom runs a small R&D firm in the Portland OR area,
while I college I did theater costuming as a 2ed degree. Ive allwas enjoyed building harder and harder things to wear.

So I found some sweet files from King rahl on thingaverse
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:88881

Ive fixed the mesh in to a solid STL.
Ive used meshmixer from 123D ( autodesk) to Dice the huge shells in to chunks to print .

so far I started with a helmet File by "big red frog"
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:158120

16931323225_ce3e5e28a4_z.jpg
Took 60 hours of total time. I had 2 failed prints.
( one of them I bumped the print stop button on my printer at 90% of a huge 15 hour print ( FAIL!)
Next was a new helmet for Donut.

17206684958_c1548722b0_z.jpg
It ook under 40 Hours and used 1.1 Kg of ABS !
Also I used a 3D pen to Weld the parts together .
I heat treated it in the oven at 170*F for a few hours to dry the paint and to stress relieve the thing.
BTW this works really well!

So on last Monday I started the main armor.
17715200661_e7604c789c.jpg
Shoulder plate 4 is on the bed right now .

Gloves took about 2H a pop of print .S houlder pads are 2.5 per .
still on my 2ed roll of red ABS .
The weapons and figure in the back are PLA and are not in this .
I am on the body armor doing 100% infill . 3-5 mm walls or so, raft everything .
I need to get both boots done along with all shoulder parts by next Friday .
That will put me on track for the BIG parts ( shudders)
Ill need to muster up large spools .
Ive got a place to get 5 kg for 100 bucks . Vs Frys with there's at 25 per kg.
price is not a issue as much as scraps.

Ive budgeted 500 bucks for the costume.
More to come as I print like mad! . I better get a new print going tonight!

PS Here is the Donut helmet with the primer on it and then some light red paint:)

IMG_2051.JPGIMG_2053.JPG

OK soooo I noticed you can add spreadsheets ( hello office space ! )

Partprinted?glassed?painted ?
glovesXXX
arm LXNAX
arm RXNAX
shin LXXX
shin RXXX
thigh LXXX
thigh R
X
X
X
shoulder LXXX
shoulder RXXX
boots WIP
Abs/ButtXXX
KneesXX
X
ChestXXX

Re: Major Muffun Donut ! 3Dprinted ABS H4 armor WIP

that's coming along great! 3D printing is very precise and makes beautiful pieces

The pieces look great but I just wanted to let ya know I think the main glove piece goes the other way or maybe it's the way the glove in lying. Nice items if you ever decide to do full suits minus helmet please put me on your list for an Engineer suit...keep,up the good work.

Yea I put them on and then noticed they were backwards. I may just repirnt the gloves any ways.
I did a super rough Z hight an it looks awfull to me .

Today's Update...

Ive De stressed the 4 major plates . there are 3 kinds of parts for this section.
Major plates . Minor plates and a outer plate .

also I got a wetsuit so I can start to mount the smaller parts to it .
Ive toyed with the idea of a wetlook lycra suit as a mounting suit Over a wetsuitand then get the bulky look from a wetsuit .
but on the other hand that rubber look is key to My vision for the undersuit.

I may use some great stuff foam to fill in hollow parts. Its easy to use and can be hot carved later on to conform to my body better.

Peter...

Today's Update...
also I got a wetsuit so I can start to mount the smaller parts to it .
Ive toyed with the idea of a wetlook lycra suit as a mounting suit Over a wetsuitand then get the bulky look from a wetsuit .
but on the other hand that rubber look is key to My vision for the undersuit.

That's a good idea, but it's worth bearing in mind that without an on-board cooling system, that neoprene is going to be like an oven in Summer deployments. I'd highly recommend ditching the synthetic materials in favour of something more comfortable and breathable during your deployments - it's probably easier to 'bulk up' using thicker materials, but they add weight and get hot incredibly quickly, so it's worth the extra work to ensure you're more comfortable when you're wearing your outfit.

Otherwise - incredible work so far. Colour me impressed.

Update...
17689388398_9130db3f9b_z.jpg

I noticed the glue ate a hole in the rubber so I am gonna slice the arms off and use lycra for it . ( and find a better way to attach them so they float on the base suit)

I used some Great stuff foam in the arm pads to shore them up.
The rasp Pi Idea might end up as a Windows 10 phone but the pie is easy to mount. Ive got a old HMD I head mounted display ) I may shove in to the helmet. it would be nice to have some EE geek toys on the suit

A video on part of the CAD I use to mod the king rahl file in to a printable set of STLs

Peter...

17689388398_9130db3f9b_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

An Update... Ive diced a forearm . 2/3 parts are on one print tonight.
Here is a screen cap from meshmixer.
17300601933_ae5f42ec0a_c.jpg

This is the start of some of the big ones! .
Thankfully the bed is big enough to fit them as rings of arm.
Ive picked up some fiberglass to line the inside of the major parts..

Print , then glass the inside where there is stress, then fill in the shell effect with foam.

If these are good after tonight Ill do the other forearm by Friday. Ive noticed the pink ABS is very chalky vs the smooth red I used to do most of it by now. .

Its all painted so the color is more of a issue with paint wear off . with red and pink It blends and may weather to look cool ! .
In fact as some might know . donut was red at first but ended up with a color change. so IF red bleeds under the pink paint . It makes it all the better .

Meshmixer FOR THE WIN!!! That program saved my life when I was modelling and thickening my Reach Hazop Helmet 3D Print. Its looking good so far!

I love it ! . It lets me do Lite FEA on parts and Its support generator is way better then the ones used in most of the printer software Ive used .

Tonight on the bed is the last part of the first forearm. I had to deal with some client prints . Work comes before play.

Ive for years given AutoDesk a very hard time with how they price there stuff. Lets face it . 99.9% of us cant just drop 4 grand on CAD programs for fun stuff.
the GNU FOSS programs are OK but leave much to be desired in there GUIs and user friendliness.

finally they have produced a dream suite, for most of us.
The 123D suite is ideal for printing Its like MS paint to Photoshop but printers are not a CNC and have limits. the programs they have are well matched to simple stuff ect. Home and Edu is free and biz is 10 bucks a month.
very low cost . I love it ! .

One arm done !
18021773126_30e4dde5e8.jpg
I may want to add a label for * elbow grease* on the arm parts ;)

OK I goofed on the right arm . so I need to reprint the right one again. I did get to do some crush testing . it was rather strong.
there are 3 parts per arm and the one near the wrist was rotated 180 Degrees twas a lost cause.
left is 2/3 printed .
last night I assembled a voice changer kit from frys . I wanted to get that lovely low bandwith clipping audio sound for cosplay use .

Oh Boy ! I was amazed . the 3rd part is done 3:45 not 6 H of print time . YAY!

Last edited by a moderator:

HAH! I recognize those apartments... That's kind of trippy/awesome.

On the armor itself, There is something I'm wondering. How tough is the ABS in the armor? Is it say...likely to crack if you accidentally dropped it?
I suppose that also depends on how thick you make it... Which leads me to a separate curiosity... How heavy is it?

Ive dropped a arm and just bounced . but it has No mass as its light.
I crushed the old arm and it did crack but I was amazed how well it took the compression.
This all said. Ive got fiberglass and epoxy to use on the insides.

Esp the legs they are gonna get beat up !

Price is kinda a variable .. a kg of plastic is 25 bucks or so . I am on my 3rd spool for the armor and helmet. thats 75 bucks.

I wont know till I am done how much its gonna cost .
I could do a volume measurement in CAD but that would not be good enough with supports and other consumables .

18217435082_6c4bb1af3b_z.jpg

Found some headlight fluid .
Ran outta redbull.

Peter

Pad that helmet enough and you can get it pretty comfortable to lay in! ;P
and be careful, I hear that headlight fluid is almost as valuable as a Flag.

I can't un-picture Donut's pink helmet bouncing around now. My old helmet would just THUNK if I dropped it. Likely break the floor....It's...uh...a liiiiiittle heavy.

OK butt plate is done
BUtt plate.jpg

. so is the ab plate and Knees

AbsKnees.jpg

Abs and Knee caps..
I should print more tonight . super tired .

I could re print the foot stuff so that it fits a boot.
( the toe cap is way to narrow to go over a boot)

I also bought a new PC ( its a EEBOX) so that I can slice faster and have a dedicated print system.
Installing Mint on it tonight ( 8.1 with BING is soo bloated for my needs)

Today is a swap back to the missing arm parts then on to legs ,,, lets attack the shins ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back