Donut / MC 3D printed ABS Halo 4 Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Major Muffun Donut ! 3Dprinted ABS H4 armor WIP

ARms.jpg

OK arms are done . Phew! I just diced the shins . Sadly My Index broke a solder joint so I had to crack it open .
Thankfully it split on a part line so its easy to make a new lid .

EDIT at7 PM / Ive got a print on it's way for a client and I scored a set of throte mics!

There are 7 parts to the shins .
The first 2 are on the bed and as of 10 min ago is at 70% . these are Longgggg prints at 12H a pop

Grey shin.jpg
13 hours and 2/3 of the front shin is done .
I am doing the parts in pairs .
So right now I have the same parts being printed again .

Update today here . OK so after a twin set of clogged nozzles I have started more prints last night.

I did a break test of a spare shin part and its very strong.. Way more then I expected.
Pics and video to come soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was heat treating the shin and the whole thing just fell in on it's self . soooooooo Its all night in the lab to make up for lost time . that said I got some way better filament so the prints look a TON better.

I have started on the fiberglass tape and glassing on the butt plate and ab plate . Man it's messy.

Peter....

EDIT something to laugh at .

its not a puma or a warthog ;)
its Hipster Donut on a segway LOLs https://www.flickr.com/photos/peterthethinker/18816135879/in/dateposted-public/

ShinsToes.jpg

SHINS!!!!!!

I was very lucky the things dont need a hinge. I can slip them on ( barely)

just needs paint.

Ive been dialing in my printer so the quality has got a ton better then it was at first.

Nice pedicure Pvt. McMuffin.
haha, for real though the shins look extra cool. how much did that 3-D printer run you?

HAHA! Winning sir!

it was $1,250,
flashforge Dreamer...

Ive been bad , I lost count on the spools used so far..
I * think * I am spool 5-6 or about 150 bucks in plastic .
Ive made a few goofs DOA shin. DOA armguard a really Bad Ab plate so thats a spool there used up..

EDIT . Ive Diced the thigh . On baby! its time to shove a new spool in the box and let'er 'Rip!

HAHA! Winning sir!

it was $1,250,
flashforge Dreamer...

Ive been bad , I lost count on the spools used so far..
I * think * I am spool 5-6 or about 150 bucks in plastic .
Ive made a few goofs DOA shin. DOA armguard a really Bad Ab plate so thats a spool there used up..

EDIT . Ive Diced the thigh . On baby! its time to shove a new spool in the box and let'er 'Rip!

not bad at all! Definitely worth it for the quality

not to side-bar too much but Ill give ya'll the reasons I got it the flash forge over many other ones on the market.

First some back notes I live in wilsonville Oregon .
Home to 3D systems one of the 2 BIG players in Real 3D printing
. My Ex college Oregon tech in town does 3Dprint R and D in there labs that is loosely partners with 3Ds
Ive been involved with them ( oregon tech ) for years.

So 3D printing something I am rather well versed in . Ive used many printers from fancy to home brew and have seen what a good and and a poor designed one looks like.

Ive considered home brew but I need * stable * printer to start with ! .

The Makerbot is 3 grand in most places. It has a VERY good build quality . It has good rails and slides and uses a good Flex PCB to connect parts and that leads to a long lifespan for a consumer. its as close to a Inkjet easy to use as you can get .
the Cons are sad for a more experienced user . you are stuck with a non enclosed non heatedbed single nozzle system.
you are Really required to use there filament with a HUGE markup. I pay 25 a kg . they are 44 .
as its not heated bed or enclosed you really cant use ABS on a large scale .
PLA is not any cheaper for me then ABS . you can tap ABS and solvent weld it machine etc.
The FF dreamer is 2 nozzle . heated bed. and has a thermostatic controlled enclosure ....... its VERY ABS friendly .
also Dremel tools resells the FF dreamer under there own brand(((( no heated bed, single nozzle for $999) ....
IMO if dremel is willing to back them then I have faith in FF to make a good product ect .
the FF has WiFi . and its price point is soooo low that I Can burn one up and still afford a new on.
besides the point that FF is more open to have me fix stuff my self . if a motor dies I can buy it from them ect

That is why am doing this suit . If some how My costume ruins my printer I can afford to just stop the project and buy new one.

In fact I am pondering the idea of buying a 2ed one so I can build faster .......... a full torso from shapeways is also 1250!

sooo to get done on time IF I get close I may just get a 2ed printer to dub my production ability's and really pop out parts .

3Ds has offerd to make some parts for donut like the torso but I really want to do it on my printer for personal reasons. I may take them up on the plasma grenades as 3Ds has some wicked rubber fileimet

Peter

You can already pump out pieces far quicker than I can, doubling your production speed would be...crazy, and amazing.

I have to say I am in Awe! I'm not familiar with 3d printing. All these parts are looking great. What Type of ABS does your printer use?

Thanks! .
It takes normal 1.75mm stuff.

Ive got the first 2 /12 parts on the bed .
Est print time is 12H

* blarg!*

One thigh ! . Needs some serious gap filling ( YAY for printing pens) and it needs some glassing on the inside to shore it up.

The knees are done but I have not mounted any parts yet to a base sooooo they are not in the pics
Also thus the shins are sagging .

lower back.jpg lower front.jpg lower side.jpg
I am Really realizing how much this stuff can restrict movement...
No wonder MC cant move fast .
The thigh ended up with 12 parts .
I fear how many there are to the chest when I get to that point soon .
Peter D

Looking good!

Question: how are you going to attach it all to your undersuit?

That is something I need to figure out soon. But I have a plan.....

Right now the shins need to be slipped on slowly as they fit tight in places like my ankles . . I suspect Ill epoxy in some 1 inch webbing that ends in large black snaps . then have the other part of the snap on the base suit. thusly it hangs on the suit in suspension . I can add some foam to center them on the legs as the prints are just shells like vac form stuff.
The knee caps are gonna be MEGA velcro . Not the hook and loop but the stuff that has no sides .
The thighs are also suspension off some points
arms are tight and really dont need any mounts at all.......

The shoulder stuff IS gonna be glued to a neoprene sleeve so left and right are a unit of plates and then that will grip ( with rubber on plain rubber ) to the base suit . My thoughts are 2 mm neoprene with the tacky rubber on the inside like the grippers on sports wear.

This week starts the other thigh. I have to get more ABS in from FRYS in the AM.

There are 12 parts to it so its gonna be a Longggg weeek .

A little trick .
Use meshmixer to mirror your parts . No point in dicing parts twice..

OK diced the chest ! phew ! this is exciting and yet creepy

Here is how it's done from a file point of view
there are 5 main parts . From left to right facing the chest . 001 002 003 004 005 ............. 1 and 5 are mirror so are 2 and 4 . so I only need to really sub Dice 1 2 3 .
In my file tree is 0031 0032 ect . this way I know what sub dice it belongs too and I dont have file name mishmash issues .

001 has 14 parts. 003 has 3 so My guess is 002 will also have 14 parts or so mirror it and you have about 60 parts

If I get 3 parts in per day Il be done in 20 days .

Oh boy ! first set ( all the 003's ) are on the printer with a 9 H est time .

Frys has 6 spools of red and pink on there way for me in case I need more . My guess is 4 -5 spools for the chest.

Ive not ignord the 2ed thigh but I wanna get this chest on it;s way . I can slot in other small parts as I go .
Ive learned that you can really go fast IF you pack in more parts on a run. the missing thigh parts would do well with larger chest parts for longer runs.

EG combine small 5 ish hour parts as one run and then the BIG stuff the next . this way its all done at the same rate.

Peter....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back