New idea for covenant in halo moves- Help/advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonewolf260

Hello everyone. A while back i posted a thread of my fan fiction idea for a halo film. i have not been able to work on it, but with summer coming around and me now having a well made spartan i think i can start.

BUT COVENANT ARE IN MY MOVE! So i have an idea...

is it possible/ is there a computer program to make this happen:

i thought you could maybe film a series of clips in Halo (an halo, for me it would be reach) of elites/spartans/marines etc. doing various actions (running, jumping, shooting) and then using a live action film/scene and crossing it with that scene from theater mode and cropping out the game background to put the game character in it.

I dont know if this is possible. But i cannot do CGI and dont want to ask any of you "hey, you wanna do CGI on my entire movie?", so i was wondering/hoping this would be an easier route and if so, how could i do it?

Here is a link to the thread with my film idea: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=42667

Thanks!

-Ian

Green Screen Effects. Thats your best option, youd have you get footage of the in-game characters infront of a single color, Green would be the best. Do reasearch, try and find video of an elite from either Forward unto Dawn, one of the games, or Nightfall. In that footage the elite has to be infront of a single colored backdrop. All white, blue, green, etc. Otherwise its going to take days worth of hours making an outline of the character frame-by-frame-by-frame.

- - - Updated - - -

Try this video. It may help you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIebNENHQWI

Thanks! So let's say I have a love action shot of an open field, or a forest. And then I film in game for reach of an elite running infront of a wall colleseum (all grey) and put blue shield doors on it to make a blue screen, would that work? And then since the game has the blue screen, I put the live action shot on the game blue screen?

-Ian

so i made a big set on reach of all weapons, vehicles and the set is literally a giant blue screen. i did not have enough shield doors so can i just do the grey/black wall colosseum as a black screen?

-Ian

I think Halo 4 actually made Green Screens as a forge object, Unfortunately there are no playable Elites in 4 multiplayer. They didn't put the Green screen in Halo 2 Anniversary Forge, but this guy made a pretty good alternative.

That's a good method, though it might take a while to produce a full white sweep for floor and background, assuming the character walking over it wouldn't break the glass.

He shouldn't have used a chroma keyer for a white background- that was the cause of his artifacting and loss of specular highlights on the armor. Automated roto masking tools should be able to pick up those edges quite easily, or you could probably also use some sequence of layer effects to generate your own keying mask from a duplicate of the original footage. If you know how to do nodal compositing, Blender's a surprisingly good 2D compositor if you don't have access to After Effects.

That's a good method, though it might take a while to produce a full white sweep for floor and background, assuming the character walking over it wouldn't break the glass.

He shouldn't have used a chroma keyer for a white background- that was the cause of his artifacting and loss of specular highlights on the armor. Automated roto masking tools should be able to pick up those edges quite easily, or you could probably also use some sequence of layer effects to generate your own keying mask from a duplicate of the original footage. If you know how to do nodal compositing, Blender's a surprisingly good 2D compositor if you don't have access to After Effects.

I have a mac computer and they arent the best for certain things, so i dont know its availability on programs with after effects and such. I can do some things with the blue screen in reach its just i can only get certain angles or the screen is cut off.

Also can you even do videos for green screens? i have regular imovie. example would be like if i had a theater mode shot of an elite running and someone off screen shoot him dead and then have a live action shot of a person "shooting" the elite can you mash the clips together like that?

I have NO experience with video editing

-Ian

hang on a sec... I think foreword unto dawn had some 3d files on the dvd copys yeah I'm pretty sure do to I remember seeing a drop pod as one of them so maybe you'll have acress to an jackal and elitle.

hang on a sec... I think foreword unto dawn had some 3d files on the dvd copys yeah I'm pretty sure do to I remember seeing a drop pod as one of them so maybe you'll have acress to an jackal and elitle.

now way? do you think that was a limited edition thing? because ill have to buy it!

-Ian

now I don't know if they have this kinda stuff on nightfall or not, i'll do some digging meh shock out.

lore yes, vfxs no... man I could have came up with a better story that had the same ending.

true, but I guess they wanted to show us how they act with out a body... which I still dodn't know with they didn't have any grenades.

So getting back onto blue screen stuff, I should have some time to throw up a test video and see if I can do a video on the blue screen for reach, if this works I'm going to be very happy and confident lol

-Ian

I have a mac computer and they arent the best for certain things, so i dont know its availability on programs with after effects and such. I can do some things with the blue screen in reach its just i can only get certain angles or the screen is cut off.

Also can you even do videos for green screens? i have regular imovie. example would be like if i had a theater mode shot of an elite running and someone off screen shoot him dead and then have a live action shot of a person "shooting" the elite can you mash the clips together like that?

I have NO experience with video editing

-Ian

After Effects is available for Mac. You can get a free 30-day trial, after which it's $30 a month or something. Blender isn't quite as good on Mac as Windows, but it's free. Video manipulation in it is a bit trickier since it's primarily designed as a 3D environment, though there should be just as many educational resources available as for AE.

Yeah, you can mash the clips together like that. That's what VFX and editing is, basically. Selling the lie through trickery! Getting them to look believable together is the hard part. Your lighting and level of detail have to match each other. Even in Hollywood, a lot of it's fudged through heavy colour manipulation and layering of atmospherics to blend everything together.

After Effects is available for Mac. You can get a free 30-day trial, after which it's $30 a month or something. Blender isn't quite as good on Mac as Windows, but it's free. Video manipulation in it is a bit trickier since it's primarily designed as a 3D environment, though there should be just as many educational resources available as for AE.

Yeah, you can mash the clips together like that. That's what VFX and editing is, basically. Selling the lie through trickery! Getting them to look believable together is the hard part. Your lighting and level of detail have to match each other. Even in Hollywood, a lot of it's fudged through heavy colour manipulation and layering of atmospherics to blend everything together.

Thanks! i will look into those programs. So imovie wont work for the mashing up two films idea?

-Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back