General first build discussion & Questions (recon helmet)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i just finished cutting out the pieces and marking the lines and so i decided to start some gluing between my exam studyings to check how a glue i had works out ( i used UHU since it gave me some time to repair my mistakes, and i also found that it strengthened it a bit.
Now, i noticed a problem. IMG_20150520_221624_152.jpgNow, lets play some "spot the differences" between the two sides. (on the left you can see the glue i used)

For those of you who dont have the time, let me help you out. (its in spoilers so you can try yourselves :D)
IMG_20150520_221805.jpg

There are different folds on the sides! (this is the top view btw. i decided to start from there)
Why is this? Not different kinds but one side doesnt have a fold the other one doesnt! (you can see it if you zoom in)
Any explanation is very welcome :)
Also, any criticism as well xD
Any recon builds fro mreach here i can check for motivation? :p

Now, another question. Its going to build a recon helmet. Im thinking of making the armor black with red or blue details. Could someone perhaps get a model of the one in reach and have the details (in black) made in red and the standard one turned to black? Just need to visualise it. If you can not, ill just have to get of my half-arsed-arse and find a way to do it myself.

PS: any tip about the visor will also be welcome!

This happened to me a bit when I didn't line up the numbers perfectly, what you get is slightly a scrunched version, which yours looks like it is. Also keep in mid that when you put the whole thing together it will pull in some imperfections, though I wouldn't count on this as a 'fix all' as It probably will not do to much, when I put my Mark 5 B together the one chin area was twisted slightly, but after I glued it all in place, the other pieces pulled it out correctly. I have seen some cases where you can fix this type of issue later in the build with bondo, but your looks like it would be a ton of work so isn't really feasible. Your best bet is just to start over in my opinion.

This happened to me a bit when I didn't line up the numbers perfectly, what you get is slightly a scrunched version, which yours looks like it is. Also keep in mid that when you put the whole thing together it will pull in some imperfections, though I wouldn't count on this as a 'fix all' as It probably will not do to much, when I put my Mark 5 B together the one chin area was twisted slightly, but after I glued it all in place, the other pieces pulled it out correctly. I have seen some cases where you can fix this type of issue later in the build with bondo, but your looks like it would be a ton of work so isn't really feasible. Your best bet is just to start over in my opinion.

Are you certain? I mean, i double checked multiple times, the folds are right and the numbers on the edges match exactly.
Also, it seems like a shame to start over when i believe bondo could save it. . just me. . and my desire to not go out, reprint and cut all of the paper .__.
Thanks for the advice though, i will consider it if i see its going on badly

EDIT: i just also checked it in pepakura viewer. Ive done it correctly. Its probably just the file thats wrong. The mistakes are too small though. I think re-printing everything would be a waste.

Are you certain? I mean, i double checked multiple times, the folds are right and the numbers on the edges match exactly.
Also, it seems like a shame to start over when i believe bondo could save it. . just me. . and my desire to not go out, reprint and cut all of the paper .__.
Thanks for the advice though, i will consider it if i see its going on badly

EDIT: i just also checked it in pepakura viewer. Ive done it correctly. Its probably just the file thats wrong. The mistakes are too small though. I think re-printing everything would be a waste.

Well it's up to you, but I think you should start again, I'm mean you could build everything else just not glue that slightly off part in and then see how much left over paper you got. If you have not already printed out every piece it's worth it to try and cram as many pieces on to one sheet as possible solely to have some extra paper in case this happens. Trying to fix it with bondo really depends on your perfectionism, it can be done but it will take a while. I'm still working on getting the slope of my helmet to be perfect and I have been bondoing for more than a week and half just on the top area, I'm still needing to do more work.

Like the idea. First time builder here too. Was reading up on visors recently. Seems like PET plastics may be the way to go. It's supposed to be easy to cut and even bend with the application of heat. As for the coloring: saw peeps suggesting either vht nite shades or the have mirrored clear spray paints as well...Gonna try the vht myself. I like the darker color, you can get it to near black on the visor and still have it visible from what I've seen. Gonna be follow I.g your work. :)

Sorry, Hkurtyka, but you are waaaay of on telling him to start over. OP, those lines are just due to the file not being quite perfect/pepakura designer interpreting a fold or crease where there should not be one. My reach eod helmet had more than a couple of these, and they are not a big deal. Just straighten them out as best you can (you can even glue a flat piece behind to help straighten it, and then any finishing touches can be solved with bondo later in the game. Clean pep work so far, keep it up!

Edit: you can also take a good look at the in-game part you are making, and if there indeed should be a crease there, you can always add a matching crease to the other side. It's a little tough with it already being glued, but not the end of the world

I think it looks fine so far. Keep building the helmet. I see nothing wrong with it so far. No helmet is perfect. Your helmet is not miss shapen at all. Your doing a good job and keep up the good work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back